Looking for a review on Cozumel San Franciso Beach all inclusive

kelbell

Has anyone done this tour on your own, and what do you think of the beach and area and food. Basically everything you know, I would like to know please. It's $40 an adult and $20 per child. Includes all your food and open bar, use of facilities. I need to get my own transportation there. What do you think? Have never been there.:eek:

Sorry I will not be of any help to your questions.

I am also thinking about SF for our upcoming cruise on the Grandeur later this month.

I am not sure if you can just go to the beach and purchase the all inclusive package or if you have to go through the online agency who is currently promoting it.

If any fellow CC'ers have went on their own and purchased the AI package, could you please post the information here.

I would reserve via the net but not fussy on putting my credit card info down (heard horror stories).

Any input would be kindly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

I was just speaking to the online agency that is taking reservations for the AI at SF beach.

She informed me that if you just go there you can't purchase the AI package and that it was a special promotion being run through the internet.

If you scroll down the first page, you should find an interactive map of the various beaches in the area and pics of them as well. This might help you out a little.

If I get more info, I will post it here for you.

We just got back from 4 day cruise on Grandeur, March 30 - April 2, 2006. We booked the internet San Francisco Beach package for April 1st, and hoped we wouldn't end up playing a big April Fools Day joke on ourselves. It ended up being a good time, and we all thought it was well worth it - no fooling.

Here's the details: We went with 3 other families, 9 adults (2 - age 18, rest late 30's and 40's) and 5 kids (ages 15, 14, 11, 10 and 9.)

We were able to get a van for 14 at the dock. Transportation should not be a problem. There are many taxis available. When we were ready to leave the beach, the server got us taxis to take us back. As we drove to the beach, we saw a fair share of hurricane damage and were a bit worried about how the beach would be. However, the beach had sand and that was not an issue once we got there. The driver dropped us off at the main entrance about 9:45 SHIP TIME. Paradise Beach is to the left and SF is to the right as you come in. We were dropped off in a cul de sac type entrance. We went to Paradise at first by accident, but they are so close together, we simply walked right next door to the SF facility. (PB looked nice too, by the way.) When we arrived, there were no other tourists there. We found a worker at SF, who told us we were at the right spot, and the manager would be there shortly. At first we were all wondering what was going on, but we then realized it was now 8:50 a.m. COZUMEL time, and the place didn't open until 9! The worker told us to pick out some beach chairs, which we did while we waited for it to open. Since I had convinced my whole group of friends to purchase this package, I was especially worried about what I'd gotten us into. However, the manager arrived shortly, we got our wrist bands, and at the end of the day everyone thanked me for finding the online deal. :D

The facilities showed minor hurricane damage, but nothing that spoiled our fun. They have a pool, with a pool bar. The kids checked the pool out only briefly. I saw others enjoying the pool bar, but we loved our spot on the beach and didn't bother with the pool. After spending the prior day getting sun on the ship, the beach umbrellas were greatly appreciated. They have an "ice berg" but it was tied to shore when we got there. They said they would put it out. However, after a while the manager, without any prompting from us, came over with a wrist band for each kid for the "Paradise Beach" so the kids could go over and use that iceberg and floating trampoline instead, which were also close by. It ended up that SF was having a problem with their iceberg. The kids ended up not playing on the iceberg that much, but we thought it was a nice gesture on SF's part to make sure we had access to an "iceberg" - to the point of making arrangments to use Paradise Beach's, at no cost to us.

There is a dive shop there. The kids had brought their own swim goggles and used them. They saw some fish, but not a lot. Some in our party rented a kayak, which the kids enjoyed more than the iceberg. Nice floating mats were available for $5 rent. There was hairbraiding, parasailing, jet skis and massage available. Various members of our group purchased the hairbraiding, parasailing, and jet skis - and all went well.

Food/Drink were all a hit. The chips/salsa were excellent. Salsa was freshly made. The lunch was great. The beef for the tacos and other beef dishes was sliced steak. A variety of dishes (chicken and beef) were ordered, and everyone was very pleased with their meals. One of the kids ordered a cheese burger, and even that looked good, and was reported to have tasted good as well. They did not skimp on the drinks. Beer included Corona - brought by the bucket on ice. The pina coladas were served with a slice of pineapple and a hybiscus flower, on the pick - nice touch. The margaritas were also a hit. When we asked for water, we received bottled water. We had an excellent server, Miguel, who made sure no one went thirsty or hungry. Miquel also came around and gave all the adults Tequila Poppers. We tipped him well, as he deserved it.

The bathroom facilities were basic, but tidy and functional.

The beach was not crowded. I took note that the only wristbands indicating the internet package were on our party. It is also my understanding you had to purchase the package in advance on the internet to get the $40/person or $20/kid deal. When we ordered online, we made only the minimum required downpayment (if I recall correctly, $10/adult $5.00/child) and paid the rest in cash when we got to the beach. After we reserved online, they emailed us a confirmation. We brought with a print out to show we had the internet deal.

We would definately purchase this again if/when we get the chance to go back.

BTY - I signed up on CruiseCritic tonight so that I could respond to your question. I've never made a post before, but I know I was anxious to get information about the package when I was looking into it -- so I hope this helps. :)

SMN

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You will find that this site is very addicting.

Thank you for posting such a detailed review of SF beach. It sounds like everybody had a great time and am glad to hear that you did not have any problems booking through the agency and then going to the beach with no troubles.

Was the lunch a buffet style?

How did you enjoy the Grandeur? Was it smooth sailing? What kind of cabin did you have?

Is the Grandeur back to regular sailings mostly buffet lines open or is the staff still serving from the WindJammer?

Thanks again for posting a great review.

SMN,

What a great job you have done getting all that info out there.

Your review was like a seasoned C.C. I can't thank you enough, It's hard booking over the internet when you don't have any back ground on the area. And your trying to please everyone, especially the teenages:eek:

Thank you for your time and great review.

SMN...thank you so much for your review.

We have booked this package as well and were looking for a detail review..so your review is very timely.

Could you tell me if the meals are delivered to you on your reserved chairs?

Are the chips and salsa unlimited?

Are the waiters/servers easily accessible or do you have to go looking for them?

What time is lunch served?

Sorry about all the questions but we just want to have an idea what to expect

Thanks for the kind words regarding my prior post. I will try and answer your questions as best I can:

Could you tell me if the meals are delivered to you on your reserved chairs? Was it buffet?

First, just FYI it is my understanding that while you have a chair reserved, the location of that chair is first come, first serve. We got there early in the morning, so we got the pick of the front row of lounge chairs with umbrellas.

The server brought us chips to our chairs, and there were some small white plastic tables (about a 18 inches square and high) between some of our chairs to put the chips/drinks on. As for meals brought to your chair, my best guess would be yes, but since we had 5 kids with us, we didn't even consider doing that, so I can't say for sure! Between the lounge chairs and the "club house" (where the restrooms, the pool area, and a patio are) are several white plastic patio tables and chairs. They are the plain white plastic ones available at at any discount store. These tables were under several canopy tents, so we sat in the shade. The server took our order. It was not buffet. The meal was brought out on generous size white plastic plates. (We were expecting paper! Since we didn't set our expectations very high, we were pleasantly suprised.) I ordered the beef faitas, which had beef, grilled peppers and onions, a generous side dollop of quacamole, and four smaller size soft shells. They also brought out a few cups of sour cream to pass around the table.

Are the chips and salsa unlimited?

When we first sat down, several baskets were brought out, and we also got more chips/salsa brought to our table as we waited for our lunch order to arrive, so we had our fill of chips from what they brought us without asking for more. While it didn't seem to be limited, I can't say for certain.

What time is lunch served?

It didn't appear to be a set time, and we weren't told there was one. As I mentioned, we had been there since 8:45. Around noon, the server asked if we wanted lunch. He brought out several menu cards that had the internet special lunch menu. I believe the items are listed on the website, so I won't try and remember what all the choices were! FYI, soda was served in cans - I don't know all the flavors they may have, but we got Sprite and diet Coke.

Are the waiters/servers easily accessible or do you have to go looking for them?

There didn't seem to be a lot of staff, but it was not crowded, and we did not have to go looking for our server. I suppose if this thing really catches on and the place gets crowded, the level of service could change. However, our experience was that the server was very friendly and attentive, I think with the hope of getting tips, which we did give. I want to also point that this is not THAT big a place, so it isn't that far to walk to the bar area. It isn't a "5 star hotel" type resort - but it did meet all our needs - and the price was definately right.

Some more info I thought of:

Before we booked, I emailed the company and asked if they had any recent pictures. They told me the pictures on the website were taken AFTER hurricane Wilma. As I said, there was some minor hurricane damage, but basically cosmetic. For example, at the pool, they have some tall decorative columns, and while they are still standing, at the very top of the column, it looks like something must have broke off. However, the pool itself was in good shape, the beach still had sand, etc.

Also, there are a couple small small vendors as you come in. Don't expect to be able to shop till you drop there by any means. However, our son needed sunglasses, and we were able to purchase a nice pair for $10.00.

How did you enjoy the Grandeur? Was it smooth sailing? What kind of cabin did you have?

I've been on 4 prior cruises with RC before the Grandeur - Navigator, Adventure, Monarch, and the "lengthened" Enchantment. I think everyone in our group thought that while the Grandeur was fine, the newer, larger ships worked better for us, especially with kids. That being said, how can one not enjoy a cruise, and we did have a lot of fun on the Grandeur. The seas were rougher than I've experienced before, but it wasn't bad. No one in our group - or anyone else that I could notice - got seasick. This was a fairly short get away during the kids' spring break so we all tried out "large" (ha!) interior cabins. While it worked, the consensus of the entire group we travelled with was that we should stick with balcony cabins, especially if we go on this size ship again with kids. One thing that surprised us was how few kids there were on this cruise. Our 15 year old has gone with on two prior cruises and has REALLY enjoyed participating in the RC youth activities. He made friends on those cruises that he continues to maintain contact with. However, this cruise had very few kids his age participating. He went to a couple scheduled activities where he was the only kid that showed up. While he "won" a backpack as a result, I think he would have preferred seeing more kids his age!

Is the Grandeur back to regular sailings mostly buffet lines open or is the staff still serving from the WindJammer?

We prefer eating in the formal dining room and were able to eat dinner each night in the Great Gatsby dining room. It was similar food/menu as we've had on prior RC sailings.

Sorry for another LONG post -- but hopefully this answers your questions. I hope anyone else booking this is able to have a similar good experience. I don't want to steer anyone wrong!

Glad to have helped. I was nervous our first cruise too, but we absolutely fell in love with it. On our first cruise we went to Cozumel, before the hurricane had hit. It was sad to see the damage, but we could tell they are working very hard to get everything fixed up. I'll watch this thread, and hope to hear you had smooth sailing and a good experience too. SMN

Wow, after all the help everybody has been, I went ahead and booked this AI beach.

I can hardly wait until April 20/06 and I will be sure to post a review all about the beach, services, facilities, food, etc when I return home.

I was informed that you will need to bring your own towel as they do not provide them. I also learned that they do not have lockers for your valuables but was assured that everything will be safe.

I also hear that ships are starting to dock at the International Pier. Maybe our ship will be the lucky one when we visit Cozumel. There will be three ships in port and we are the first ship to arrive. Keep your fingers crossed as I am not fussy on tendering.

Thanks for all the info, it was really really helpful.

SMN...I will definitley post back on here and let you know how it went. I am really looking forward to it.

BLUEICE....Please do post a review. I would like to hear all about how it went. It would be great if we don't have to tender. Our cruise leaves on 04/29 so I figure if you guys get to dock we may as well. Like you I don't particularly like the idea of tendering but either way I hope to have a BLAST in Cozumel.

Looking forward to your review...Will you be back b4 I leave?

While I certainly don't need to add to anything the previous poster already said, I can say that our family LOVED it! I wish we were armed with so much info. We took a chance and booked the AI just by comparing websites. Our group included 3 teenage girls,12 yo boy and girl and 2 toddlers. There was something for everyone. ENJOY!!!!

Looking forward to your review...Will you be back b4 I leave?

Will be back home April 23rd and will have plenty of time to write a review before you leave.

Looking forward to San Fransisco Beach, now all I need to do is figure out what we will do in Costa Maya.

\He brought out several menu cards that had the internet special lunch menu. I believe the items are listed on the website, so I won't try and remember what all the choices were!

Do you have the website for the menu? I can't seem to find it.:confused:

Thanks

Sorry if my post was perhaps confusing. I didn't find a menu page, but they listed the food on the webpage describing the offer. See http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelSanFranciscoBeachBreak.htm

which says:

Included in your beach break is a delicious and freshly prepared lunch, which includes chips and salsa and your choice of either Chicken or Beef Fajitas, or Grilled Local Catch of the Day. For kids, or the young at heart, you can enjoy a Cheeseburger in Paradise or an All American Hot Dog with fries. Our waiters can serve you on the beach or at one of our shaded dining tables.

The choices I am able to recall for the adults included beef or chicken tacos, beef or chicken fajitas, beef or chicken nachos. For kids, I remember they had the cheeseburger, hot dog, or cheese quesadilla. One of the kids ordered the cheese quesadilla and it looked good. As I mentioned previously, the cheeseburger was also good, and was served with tomato, mayo, and lettuce.

When doing research before the cruise I did find the menu for Paradise Beach next door - which I looked at for price comparison:

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.net/menu_1_pbeach.html

Considering what the price was or similar food to purchase, I thought we got a great deal.

SMN

• 3 weeks later...

The beer was bottled, several Mexican name brands to pick from, and plenty of it. Most adults in our group prefer beer, and all were very satisfied with the options, and it was brought out in buckets - no skimping. The water was bottled. Those of us who weren't beer drinkers, had no problems from drinking the frozen drinks - pina colada, margarita, etc., The food was good and everyone enjoyed it. If you have a similar experience to what we had, you will get your money's worth and then some. Our group is still talking about the good time/good food we had. Enjoy!

SMN

• 2 weeks later...

Archived