Cruise sickness & quarantine

chrismch

Just been reading all the posts about the problems on the past two Mercury cruisings. And it concerns me that a 3rd cruise will also be affected. Regarding the non-stop use of bleach - I am surprised in this day and age there is not a disinfectant that can be used that doesn't have the bleach smell or the bleaching out of color on fabrics. I would hate to be smelling bleach all the time - it's got to kill your sense of smell and food cravings. Hospitals don't have that ultra bleach smell so why should a cruise ship? Also, I didn't see any mention of quarantines. On a previous sailing one of our CC friends was put in quarantine (in their room) because of gatrointestinal problems. He was not allowed to eat at the buffets but could order from the dining room menus. He also got the medicines necessary and was well in 3 days. Was the ship short on medicines on these cruises? Since germs can be spread so easily in a buffet line why was that open and the dining rooms closed? Sounds like more of an oppty for more to get sick.

I'll take a stab at your questions. First, tho, a clarification...the current cruise (3/27) is already the 3rd cruise dealing with this situation. There are disinfecants less harsh than bleach, but their cost is substatially more. Just a guess, but cost could be a factor. Take my word, the amount being used is enormous. People absolutely are being quarantined. Since some don't want to spend their vacations inside their cabin, they (a) don't seek medical assistance at all, or (b) won't carry out the quarantine. Rumor is, some on our 3/17 cruise were put off the ship for not following the quarantine instructions. Many, of course, do just as asked. There was no shortage of medicines for those who went to the doctor. Celebrity even put on an extra doctor after the 3/6 cruise had had so many ill. The buffets were not self-serve. All foods were dished up by latex gloved staff.

Nan

I read that if you just spray on a mild bleach solution and quickly wipe it off, the virus and bacteria can still survive. I am on a cruise in two weeks and was reading bottles of Lysol spray and wipe. It says to keep the surface wet for at least 4 seconds to be effective.

I read that if you just spray on a mild bleach solution and quickly wipe it off, the virus and bacteria can still survive. I am on a cruise in two weeks and was reading bottles of Lysol spray and wipe. It says to keep the surface wet for at least 4 seconds to be effective.

You're correct; terminal disinfection works best by letting the agent air dry on the surface, so spraying and allowing to air dry works best when ever possible.

According to CDC, a 10% sodium hypochlorite (bleach) solution is effective for removing norovirus strains (and almost any other "bug" that needs to be knocked out). Bleach is NOT used in hospitals because the fumes cause/aggravate respiratory illness, and contact with the skin can cause lots of other problems. More expensive cleaning solutions, often phenol based, are used in healthcare facilities.

The CDC website has a 24 page report all about norovirus infection, including how it's passed, how to avoid it, and how to take care of yourself if you catch it. Just skip all the epidemiological stuff and indepth medical info.

From Infection Control Today:

PENN VALLEY, Calif. -- Best Sanitizers, Inc. announced today that Alpet D2 Surface Disinfectant is the first ready-to-use disinfectant to receive an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) efficacy claim against Norovirus. The claim against Norovirus is based on testing done with the surrogate feline calisivirus. Hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, cruise lines, schools, food service facilities and other industries now have access to a ready-to-use EPA registered product that is strong enough to kill norovirus but safe enough to use on babies’ toys.

When a Norovirus outbreak occurs, it is critical that proper disinfection is implemented in a rapid manner, in order to contain the spread of the illness. Alpet D2 is a ready-to-use, broad-spectrum disinfectant formulated with isopropyl alcohol and a four-chain quaternary compound. It has a surface-contact time of five minutes to disinfect. Alpet D2 is approved for use on food contact surfaces without a rinse, so it is one product that can be used in every area of a facility, including food service areas. The product is non-corrosive.

Archived