early vs. late seating

lesliehr

I'm reposting this here in this forum, because I'm hoping Celebrity folks can help!

Oh my gosh.............this is an issue in my family right now!

We are taking my parents (along with my teenage kids) on the Zenith in June to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. I, alone, made all the arrangements with our TA. When I mentioned to my Mom that I booked "main" seating instead of "late" seating........to say she was aghast is an understatement. They cruise a lot.

I know there are pro's and con's with each sitting.......but I reasoned that since we'll be in Bermuda for so many days, the disadvantage of "rushing" back to the ship to make an early dinner, therefore ending your day in Bermuda early, really wasn't an issue.

My reasoning for main seating:

We enjoy the evening shows, but I'm not sure I'd want to see the show BEFORE dinner.

Even though my kids are teens, they really aren't used to eating late. Will eating late cause them to miss certain "teen" related activities?

My husband and kids are very easy-going, and said if Grandma REALLY wants late-seating, then do it. After all, this trip is to honor their big anniversary.

At this point, who knows if late is available. I'm just torn, because I want everyone to be happy. This is the first issue that's arisen and I'm expecting more.

Thanks for the advice.......especially if you have experience sailing with multi-generational famiies.

Debbie

Tough decision, but if it's the parents' 50th, then you need to consider their wishes.

I've been on over 80 cruises and alternate both main and late, depending on destination. Whenever we've done Bermuda, we had opted for late sitting as we don't like to rush back from an afternoon at the beach or exploring the island. Sometimes we settle for alternate dining or dinner ashore if we don't want to do the main dining room.

Since the Bermuda gov't doesn't allow major production shows while the ship is docked, you won't be missing anything.

As far as teens and dining, why not give them the choice to do casual dining/pizza or pasta on their own, or with new found friends? We did this when we took my niece and nephew and they loved the independence for a few evenings.

Darcy

Had a similair expeience with my mom and other family members a couple of years ago.To make a long story short.We put mon first.Her wants and needs were met and everyone elses came second.We all got together at different times of the day and evening.Breakfast/lunch/or dinner.Going to the pool deck for the afternoon and spending time with the family is a day well spent.You can all agree to meet for drinks after the show or at the different events going on around the ship during that day.It worked out very well for us.There were no mandates and nobody complained.We were all on vacation and had a very relaxing cruise.John

My wife and I prefer 1st seating - we eat early at home, and 1st fits closest to our normal schedule.

Neither of us are "night people", and don't stay up late - we like an early meal, early show, and early bedtime.

Isan't it wonderful we have so many choices?

To answer one of your questions, the kids will miss time with the activities on board. The group activities for the most part close down for early seating and reopen once it is done. They would therefore miss a couple of hours of activities with the groups with late seating.

Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.

I've been in touch with my TA to see if late-seating is available......and if it is, to switch us. She's checking and will get back to me.

Thanks again, Debbie

Hi Lesliehr,

We're gling on vacation in June with our family to celebrate our

Golden 50th.Wedding Anniversary. You might think of planning a specific

formal evening for all to be in attendance for a special celebration.

On this evening you could do the special anniversary toasts to them and

any other special things you may have in mind such as a special cake-cutting,

family photo, comments about special memories,etc.

It is a once-in-a-lifetime occasion and is very special.

That's what we plan to do. Then it frees everybody up to make other

dining choices on other nights if they so choose including your parents.

How wonderful that you can spend it together. I'm certain that they will

always treasure the memories. Bon Voyage!

Our family group of 6 has opted for the later seating on our last cruise, as well as our upcoming Bermuda cruise. Yes, the kids/teen activities will conflict with the later dinner seating, but we managed pretty well. Some nights the kids/teen activities didn't really appeal to the kids, so they ate dinner with us. Another night only our daughter wanted to join the kids activities, and our waiter brought her entree right away, so she was able to leave and only missed the first part of the activity. My MIL and SIL were big on the shows and didn't mind seeing those first, but the kids didn't really care for them....

A couple of things that worked well for us: having late dinner seating allowed us to enjoy a pre-dinner sushi snack most evenings at around 6:00 (when we usually returned from our port activities - and the kids, then 13 and 10 love the sushi rolls). It also permitted us to let the kids enjoy ice cream and snacks during the late afternoon, knowing that they'd be hungry again at the later dinner time.

Archived