Cruising on the Century

pamcdon

My husband and I have never cruised on Celebrity before and are considering a cruise next April on the Century.

If you have ever cruised on her, can you please give me your thoughts. We are looking at an oceanview cabin.

Can't decide between Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.

Thanks for your input.

Paula:)

My husband and I have never cruised on Celebrity before and are considering a cruise next April on the Century.

If you have ever cruised on her, can you please give me your thoughts. We are looking at an oceanview cabin.

Thanks for your input.

Hi Paula !

We have been on Century several times, and she is a favorite of ours. You have not told us what you enjoy, so it is hard to recommend 1 line over the other. I will tell you that Celebrity is a little quieter than Royal Caribbean. Celebrity does not offer items such as Rock Climbing and Johnny Rockets. I feel the food is much better on Celebrity.

Also, in a few weeks, Century will be undergoing a huge upgrade, and the ship will be totally refurbished and add many balconies, and a specialty restaurant. She was a great ship before all of this, and I am hoping she will be even better when the upgrade is complete.

I would highly recommend Century. Any more questions ? Feel free to ask. Enjoy your Cruise !

I will be sailing Century in September, I'm already excited to see her new makeover!

I have a few questions...

1. Will there be a buffet restaurant (for lunches, breakfast) on board after the refit?

2. What will the speciality restaurant feature? Is this an extra cost?

3. What is the Cova Cafe? Is this extra?

Thanks!

Kelly :)

Thanks for your input.

Century is our favorite Celebrity ship and we have sailed on all of them except Expeditions. Before you decide which line you prefer could you give us some idea of what you look for in a cruise? When you ask this question on the Celebrity site you will get a lot of wonderful reviews on Celebrity. The answer you get from the same post on RCL site might get you a different response.

I think the cruisers on Celebrity are a little older, more sedate (someone on a different site classifies these people as ready to go to bed at 10), have a general inclination to like more formal wear and less likely to be as active (as Andy stated: no rock climbing walls nor ice rinks)

I will be sailing Century in September, I'm already excited to see her new makeover!

I have a few questions...

1. Will there be a buffet restaurant (for lunches, breakfast) on board after the refit?

2. What will the speciality restaurant feature? Is this an extra cost?

3. What is the Cova Cafe? Is this extra?

1. Yes

2. Different menu, better service. Yes about $30.00 pp

3. Coffee cafe, pay for specialty coffee's, drinks at night. Usually a classical music group in the evenings.

Sorry I didn't give you more info.

My DH is 62 and I'm 51 so it sounds like our kind of cruise. We like it a little quieter!

How about the dress code on this ship? We are not the real formal types. Do men have to wear tuxes or is a dark suit okay? Do women wear formals or is a nice pants suit okay? We're not much on "dressing to the nines" if you know what I mean.

The cruise ship has the itinerary we are really interested in. Have any of you stayed in an oceanview room? If so, how was it?

Thanks again for all of your input.

Thank you so much for the info! Much appreciated!

1 more question...What films are shown in the cinema/conference room?

Thanks!

Kelly :)

Videos are often shown in the main theatre... they are fairly recent but we never go.... Conference room is most often used by enrichment lecturers

My DH is 62 and I'm 51 so it sounds like our kind of cruise. We like it a little quieter!

Same demographic... I'm about a month from my 63rd.. my wife 5 years younger

How about the dress code on this ship? We are not the real formal types. Do men have to wear tuxes or is a dark suit okay? Do women wear formals or is a nice pants suit okay? We're not much on "dressing to the nines" if you know what I mean.

A dark suit is fine for men, pants suits are my wife's choice as well....

Most Celebrity cruisers like to dress up to go to dinner and a show...and it is a special occasion.

Have any of you stayed in an oceanview room? If so, how was it?

Pick mid-ship, whatever deck you like. The higher decks rock a bit more, as do front and aft locations. The cabins are pretty much alike whether they are inside or outside.

my husband and I have gone on the Century twice - it's our favorite ship! (we are also in our early 50's). the oceanview rooms are great - plenty of space, great closets and storage! We stay on the Panorama deck, mid ship. I actually like the pool area better than on the M class ships. Dark suit for men is fine as is a dressy pants suit for women, or dark pants, dressy top. The service and food is wonderful and the Martini Bar (formally where the sports bar was) and esp. Micheal's club are great! You do pay extra for coffee drinks at the Gova Cafe but not for the pastries (wonderful, warm from the oven in the morning, and fancy cakes in the afternoon) A wonderful spot to relax, usually classic music in the evenings. You will love the Century! Vicky

Hi:) I am another Century lover;)

I have sailed her 3 times and she is my favorite ship:D

I have an inside as well as a window. Both are fine for me!

Century is a wonderful ship. Hope you have a great cruise!

Are you allowed to wear shorts during the day on the Century?

Thanks.

Yes, yes, yes:) You can wear shorts during the day on all the

Celebrity ships! I wear them all the time and when not, I am in

a bathing suit with a cover up:) (of course that would

be in the Caribbean);) probably during the day in Alaska you would

wear slacks:D

Hi - we just returned from our very first cruise onboard the Century 3/26-4/2 to the western Caribbean. Although I have no cruise experience or nothing to compare to, this ship captured my heart. This cruise was an amazing experience for us in every way. The food and the service was beyond what I imagined. We had 2 formal nights and it was fun to dress up. Dark suits seemed to be the norm and didn't see many tuxes. The ship is very casual during the day. You are allowed to wear shorts during the day, even for breakfast in the grand dining room. The staff onboard was friendly and always smiling, even though they work so hard and long hours. Even in the buffet lines, you turn around after you select your food and usually staff is standing there waiting to carry your tray to your table. It certainly was a fairy tale trip for me, and hope she is available for my next cruise next spring 2007. She is going in for a re-furb next month, and she can only be more beautiful. Any other questions, let me know. Good luck! Cathy

3/26 and it was my first Century. I was blown away by this ship and had a great time. I never expected it to be so nice since it is on it's way to a major refit. Going now will give you reason to go again after June 2. She is going to be fabulous since she already is very nice. This size ship is perfect.

My oceanview was farthest forward on 8--8000. and it made for alot of walking but was a very nice cabin. Every staff member worked so hard at pleasing the guests you would have to be impressed. Food was very good too.

You will have a great time I am sure. Go for it!

Archived