Helicopters to the Dog Sleds

frosty52

For those of you that took the dog sled excursion in Juneau could you tell me about the helicopter ride to the glacier. HOw big/small was the helicopter? Approximately how many did it carry? How long was the flight? I do NOT like ferris wheels, how did the helicopter ride compare to that?

I really want to do this excursion but I am concerned about the helicopter flight. Any additional information you could provide would be appreciated.

TIA

We booked a private tour to do the same thing, and the helicopters were larger than you would expect. I believe there were 5 passengers and the pilot. I am terrified of heights, you couldn't make me go on any ferris wheel, but this was just an amazing tour. Do it, it was the highlight of our trip. I'd do it over again without a moments hesitation.

Marilyn

We did the dog sled/helicopter tour last summer in Skagway. It was the highlight of our trip. The helicopter would seat the pilot and six passengers, three including the pilot in the front and four in the back. I have been on some helicopters when the pilot wanted to give you a thrill. This wasn't the case in Skagway. All of the passengers have headsets and microphones. You could tell the pilot you were looking for a nice calm ride, no thrills.

The cruise lines use very reputable companies. The helicopters have very reliable turbine engines. They have large glass windows. If you were a little squeamish you might ask to sit in the center of the back seat. In Skagway they lined us up in our seating order before boarding so you should let them know then about your seating preference. The weather isn't always perfect in Alaska. If it is bad the whole trip will be canceled.

If it helps at all....I love helicopters and small planes but hate ferris wheels.

Do it...I bet you don't regrett and please come back and tell us all about it. :)

Thank you for the words of encouragement - all of you. I was led to believe that hating one meant don't do the other.

If I go, I'll be sure and report.

thanks again

Archived