The TRUTH about brining own beverages on board, both alcohoic and nonalcoholic

MAN86

I agree - we never take our own alcoholic beverages outside the privacy of our own cabin. The analogy of taking your own food to a restaurant would then apply.

I also agree that people who push to rules too far will make it harder for the rest of us. We enjoy our drinks in the Martini Bar ordered from the menu

What you do in your cabin is your business but taking alcohol into public areas of the ship is A BIG NO-NO. Taking alcohol out into public areas is not being respectful to Celebrity or the other passengers...it is TACKY and BAD MANNERS to say the least.

If you want to enjoy a beverage in the privacy of your own cabin then go right ahead. If you want Celebrity to crack down on alcohol then just continure to bring it out into the public areas of the ship. WOW!!!

Does that actually happen? I have never seen that thank god. It is very tacky. Of course you do see the inevitable people around the pool with their huge mugs with what you can only imagine to be beer.

IT HAPPENS...all the time and I think it is really obnoxious and offensive...talk about leaving your good manners and common sense in your suitcase. We have had all sorts of parties in our cabin and gone to many others and we would never consider taking a glass of anything outside the cabin.

We have seen many incidents where paz are taking beverages out to the pool area and the crew notices this too. I have talked to crew members who tell me that when this gets out of hand they start to crack down onboard and confiscate the booze at the gangway.

Does that actually happen? I have never seen that thank god. It is very tacky. Of course you do see the inevitable people around the pool with their huge mugs with what you can only imagine to be beer.

I detest the tiny glasses that are generally available for iced tea. Thus, for years, my wife and I have brought 32 oz. insulated cups with us. Why would you even have any thoughts about what I have in my cup, much less care, unless I am behaving in an inappropriate manner?

Cruizebuds: NCL does indeed have an area where they hold suitcases with alcohol in them. (It's not quite a room, rather an area at the bottom of the staircase). We were on the Spirit in February and brought 3 bottles of wine with us; we when went to our room to get the life preservers for the muster drill, there was a note on the door telling us to come down to deck 2 to retrieve our luggage. When we got there we saw about 60-70 suitcases all lined up waiting for their owners. We opened the luggage in front of crew, took out the 3 bottles of wine, and paid the $15 corkage fee for each, (they actually have a bar waiter there to write out the slip). We were then free to leave with our luggage and wine, which we then brought to the dining room.

Having cruised on 4 different lines and about 10 ships I have never had a problem with liquor packed in my suitcase. Earlier this year on Princess they held up a suitcase because i had a small knife to cut our limes in it but said nothing of the 2- 1.75ltrs. also packed in it.

If I buy six packs in port I have them delived to the ship and are glad they hold them. A few times with a bottle or 2 bought on shore they ask to hold it. Most of the time they don't make an issue of it. I think my bar bill history shows that they get a good share of my cash anyway.

HI TED...you are right...those small glasses are a pain and I don't blame you for carrying your mug...nothing wrong with that...we all do it. You can always tell the abusers...they start to turn bloodshot around 2:00 PM...LOL!!! Some of them look like they already have a sunburn before they sit out by the pool...LOL!!!

HI SHINE!!! Now you know why we do not cruise on NCL anymore...LOL!!!

To me it's hard to understand why anyone would consider sailing NCL --- I guess it's the libertarian streak in me - There are names for governments that act like that...

I do know it's just my opinion :rolleyes:

Cruzbuds: I was on NCL (Sun) last year and did not sneak anything on. We absolutely did see bags being confiscated and held for alcohol suspicion. From what I understood, those passengers with suspecting bags, received a letter in their stateroom to go to a specific location where they would open their bags, any alcohol would be confiscated until end of cruise.

We just returned from Celebrity Millenium (4/9-4/16) and had nips packed in my checked luggage. We also brought on a 12 pack of coke. No problems whatsoever. In St. Thomas we bought bottles of rum and wine and carried these bag on board and to our room with no problem! I was quite surprised. We then consumed the rum/coke in our room until cruise end. :)

The chances of having your alcohol confiscated when re-boarding from a port of call are significantly higher then if you bring it on with you at embarkation.

You pass through port screeners preboarding, Celebrity x-rays at ports of call. There is usually a waiter to collect purchases after screening. We have never heard of any suitcases being opened prior to sailing. I have had a bottle "detained" till end of voyage in Colon but since it was a B2B I did not need it right away anyways.

I know there are probably many of you who have cruised more than I: 20 cruises on 6 (about to be 7) different mainstream lines. EVERY single line's boards have this type of question. The REAL way it works is: ALL of the mainstream lines "officially" will not let you bring any liquor on board, EXCEPT SOME lines say you can bring wine or champagne "to celebrate a special occassion" (which is baloney!) and merely pay a corkage fee to have it at dinner. In reality SOMETIMES they take it from you on most lines, but mostly they do not. I don't know if it depends upon how well their recent liquor sales have been and someone (like the hotel mgr. of the ship) cracks down or what (?). I know of friends who always bring it along and have never had it taken out of their luggage. I've read of people who have had it confiscated. My dd's boyfriend took some along on a cruise most recently in his checked luggage. No problem. Some 17 to 18 yr. old kids from my dd's h.s. group on a cruise w/parents (myself included - we didn't know they had it) were able to buy it in St. Thos. and bring it on board and were not caught. ONE girl was caught w/a pint bottle, however, and told them it was a gift for her father. They took it and told her it would be returned to her on the last day. It wasn't. That's how I found out about it - she told me! (That's a thought. Maybe it depends upon if the guy checking you in needs some for himself?!) My point is, there is no definitive answer. No cruiseline takes it ALL the time, and all take it SOME of the time, or so it seems.

As my accountant says, take the deduction and it's up to IRS to disallow it. Same as taking booze on board. Take what you want for your cabin and if they hold it until the end of the cruise, you still get it back.

I am happy that they hold the boxes as it takes up a lot of room in the cabin but rarely do they hold single bottles from a port stop. I'd say go for it. If you want a drink in your cabin home made, you'll probably want a few from the ship's bars as well.

Can anyone advice me of the price of dinks, both alcholic and soft drinks. My last cruise was on a PO Ship (Oceana) about two years ago and I found the drinks prices very reasonable. However I have been told that the American Ships tend to charge a lot more for wine, beer etc.

We are sailing on Century on the 15th September 2006 and this will be our first experience of an Americal run Ship. So if anyone can give me any advice on this ship I would appreciate it.

Lynn (Wigan, UK)

Archived