We're Goin' Back To Alaska In '07! Are You In?????

Host Caroline

Several of the '05 Diamond Rush Alaska cruisers want to go back and so far I have about 30 e-mails from others who are interested in a CC group to Alaska in late May/early June '07? Details will be sent out first via email in the form of a questionnaire.. if you're interested shoot me an email to hostcaroline@cruisecritic.com with Alaska '07 in the subject line!

glaciers_cruise.jpg

Details so far: Most likely a southbound cruise departing on a Friday or Saturday with a pre-cruise optional 5-6 night land "tour".. Exploring those options now in terms of where, how etc. The land part will be purely optional but I can tell you that the majority interest so far is in southbound cruise and the "repeaters" from '05 definitely want Glacier Bay...

So are you in???

Guest caribcruzin

thinking we would like late May for the tour portion and the first weekend in June to board the ship.

Before June 1st, the Denali park shuttles will go only as far as Toklat River (Mile 53)

2006 schedule: http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/bus/2006%20ADVANCE%20RESERVATION%20SHUTTLE%20SCHEDULE.pdf

Yes, that's why we would not depart until the last week of May! Most likely right after Labor Day...

I'm confused - if we schedule the land tour PRE-cruise, Denali won't be open. It's my understanding that the road doesn't open to Fish Creek until 6/1/06. Do you mean you wouldn't schedule the land tour until after Memorial Day and then the cruise after that?

Anyway, let me know what you're planning. I would like to visit Kenai Fjords as well as Denali.

Right now tentatively looking based on "preview" itins at tentative southbound departure on June 9, '07 with 5-night precruise or possibly departure on the prior Monday.. rates out in about 2-3 weeks, groups may NOT be ready then. Land portion will be separate and booked individually but details will come with cruise info. If you have not emailed me (hostcaroline@cruisecritic.com) so that you will get info when it's available, please feel free to add yourself to my long list... I am actually organized this month:) Oh, and I checked with a lady in my group who lives near Talkeetna and we would be okay going last week of May for what I'm planning... right now what I am tyring to avoid is flying over Memorial Day Weekend when it may be higher AND people wanting to use FF miles may find it harder to do.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been trying to email you but it keeps bouncing back...can you email me? rbpoulin@baybroadband.net

We too are hoping to do ALASKA again VERY soon! Miss you! Write when you can.

Robin

I am back and mailbox is cleaned out.. the hostcaroline@cruisecritic.com addy is working just fine now!

Whoever posted above while I was gone: the optional tour would depart on June 4 probably visiting Denali with time to visit Kenai Peninsula on return to Anchorage area for 1.5 days.

I've been trying to email you but it keeps bouncing back...can you email me? rbpoulin@baybroadband.net

We too are hoping to do ALASKA again VERY soon! Miss you! Write when you can.

Robin

I am back and mailbox is cleaned out.. the hostcaroline@cruisecritic.com addy is working just fine now!

Whoever posted above while I was gone: the optional tour would depart on June 4 probably visiting Denali with time to visit Kenai Peninsula on return to Anchorage area for 1.5 days.

Those were my first choice in ships as well but unfortunately they leave on Monday whicih was not a good day for most folks.. i.e. want a weekend return and departure for cruise portion... so the ship will be Sapphire (remote possibility Diamond.... they leave Saturday)

I am one of those VERY interested in this cruise and pre-cruise, although I was originally planning to go a little earlier to take advantage of the better prices and I was looking at going on the Coral. But going with the cruisecritic group sounds fun. However, I am organizing this for myself and 3 other people and I just found out that one of the others is very prone to seasickness (their 1st cruise). I know there are good meds available - and I know that no one can control the ocean -- but I have been extensively reading the postings on these boards and have seen several that talk about the Sapphire and Diamond design not being too stable (see below).

"Sapphire and other Grand class ships, because of hull shape, beam and draft, do not ride as well as some of the smaller ships in the fleet. Regal Princess, the late great Royal Princess, and late Sky Princesss all ride better in heavy seas."

"The larger ships are actually far less stable due to hull design, particularly the Grand-class ships. It's a complete fallacy that they're more stable. They can really bounce around since they have a broader beam and shallower draft and you'll feel it no matter where your cabin is located. The most stable part of the ship is the lowest passenger cabin deck in the middle of the ship. It'll be more stable but you're also more likely to hear and feel the stabilizers which can be very noisy and vibrate a lot. Make sure you bring your meds if motion bothers you. "

These are just a few of the comments I found. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience on the Sapphire/Diamond AND one of the smaller ships like Coral and whether anyone noticed the difference in the way the ships ride. I feel kind of responsible for my friend and would really feel bad if he was sick the whole week!

There are a bunch of my "groupies" from last year posting on Floataway in the Post-Alaska Support Withdrawal Group... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=203981 .. I don't know if anyone who had motion problems on the Diamond and we were "at sea" literally on that itinerary with sea time between ports in Alaska and Seattle.. Pick a cabin midship and lower down.. There is no guarantee of no motion but I can honestly say that I've found it to be an issue only once in Alaska and that was on the "old" Island Princess in 15 foot seas or higher ... there are so many anti-motion sickness remedies... And the majority of the cruising is not at "open sea"...really crossing Gulf of Alaska on first leg from College Fjord will be it..

Frankly I have not noticed motion on Diamond or Caribbean Princess as much as on Sun-class... but maybe that's just "me":confused:

I cannot comment on the smaller ships, but was on the Sapphire to Mexico in March and did notice the movement on the sea days from LA down to Puerto Vallarta.

We used the sea bands wrist bands and they completely stopped all discomfort, for dh, ds(10) and me. DH is prone to motion sickness and had trouble the first night but then used the bands and was fine.

I just felt dizzy. With the bands, I did not notice it.

I had the meds with us, but never needed them.

Hope this helps a little.

Yes, that's why we would not depart until the last week of May! Most likely right after Labor Day...

Just out of curiosity do you happen to know the itinerary yet? Probably can't go because son will be back in school right after labor day but ya never know.

Bill

Archived