Wine packages?

anniebj90290

Does the Princess line have a wine package similar to the one on Royal Caribbean where you prepay for x number of bottles for the week and they "follow" you around to whichever dining room you chose to eat in each night?

Hubby doesn't drink and I certainly can't drink a bottle myself at a meal, so this was a handy way to keep track. I brought one open bottle back to the room and the rest found me at dinner.

There is not a general "5 bottles for $120" type of package that I am aware of. However, you can order a bottle at dinner and if you don't drink all of it, it will be waiting for you the next evening at dinner. If you attend the "Matre'd Wine Event", the upscale wine tasting which is offered on most Grand Class ships (I don't know about smaller ships) you can purchase a multi-bottle set of wines at the event which you can set aside to drink in the dining room or take back to your cabin.

Princess does not have any kind of wine package similar to RCI, and being a frequent cruiser on both lines I say, thank goodness. RCI has outrageous wine prices (drinks too) when compared to Princess. The RCI wine package is overloaded with Robert Mondavi low class products (including wines from their Chile and European vineyards) and does offer a pretty good value when you compare it to the RCI winelist. However, the Princess wine list offers a darn good selection of wines in the $25 - $30 range and our personal experience is that Princess is generally about 20% cheaper than RCI. By the way, when you order drinks from Princess you will also get a much better deal than RCI...particularly with the medium drinks (Princess has many drinks in small, medium and large).

Hank

annie

you can bring your own wine on board and probably save a lot over the cost of wine purchased on board. There is usually a corkage fee of about $10.00 per bottle. My sister -in-law works at Rubicon Vineyards, (formerly Neibaum-Coppola) as in Francis Ford, and our last cruise she brought about 8 bottles on board for an 11 night cruise. After a few days, the sommelier was so impressed with some of the wines that she had that he forgot to charge the corkage fee. Maybe thats becuase we usually left a little in the bottle, that he was only too glad to take care of for us...Ha Ha

Archived