Coco Cay Question

yes...and i suggest you do!

we got off the ship, walked pass the beach area (where everyone goes) and kept going around the island til we couldnt see or hear anyone. hubby n i had a blast! must have saw 10 rays, over 100 conch in the grass beds, 20 or so good sized starfish...not too many fish/coral....but we had a wonderful time....plus we didnt have to wea those silly life preservers :)

Maybe it was the weather or rough seas at Coco Cay, but Hubby and I saw a snorkeler who was swimming independently and lifeguards, or whatever they were, were falling all over themselves to get him to come back in to the regular area. In fact, one of these guards almost fell on the big rocks frantically trying to get the snorkeler's attention.

We took that to mean that snorkeling areas are strictly delineated and you are not encouraged to have an indepenent expedition. But as I say, maybe the water was too rough that day or some other problem.

My husband brings his own snorkeling gear on our cruises. At Coco Cay, he snorkeled on his own in the regular swimming area and did see fish. I don't know if the snorkeling is the same or better if you do the actual excursion, but he enjoyed it.

M

You can bring your own gear and just pay a small amount ($8 I think) to rent a vest. Then you can snorkel in the snorkeling area. I'd recommend that, there's lots of fish, a sunken airplane and a "pirate" ship.

Bring your own gear and ask someone going back up to the snorkel shack if you can borrow their vest as they are walking back to return it. Just remember to return it when you are finished.

yes...and i suggest you do!

we got off the ship, walked pass the beach area (where everyone goes) and kept going around the island til we couldnt see or hear anyone. hubby n i had a blast! must have saw 10 rays, over 100 conch in the grass beds, 20 or so good sized starfish...not too many fish/coral....but we had a wonderful time....plus we didnt have to wea those silly life preservers :)

When you got off the tender did you go to the left or right? I have been there a few times and never had a good snorklering experience (by that I mean - have never seen much of anything)

Be careful of your feet and ankles on the sunken plane. I scraped my ankle on a bit of torn aluminum, but the snorkeling was well worth it.

Tidbit of advice for Coco Cay: immediately head left and snatch up the hammocks, they are approximately 100 yards from the tender landing.

Archived