A Carnival Cruiser Finally Trying out RCCL

Well, I'm doing it. I've booked the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda for this summer.

What can I look forward to on the ship? The only thing I know is it's a Voyager class, and it has the wall and the rink. Perhaps I can just wait and be surprised.

I hear the service is a notch up. What else?

I know absolutely nothing about RCCL, and will be spending a lot of time looking over the EOS threads.

Maybe meet some new personalities over here as well. :)

Pete, you are an experienced cruiser (enjoy your posts on other boards), so you will enjoy the voyager class I'm sure. Plenty of activities and bars to keep you entertained, plus quiet places if you're in the mood for relaxing. The promenade is a great place to snack, drink, shop and people watch..the English style pubs are a lot of fun. People say the food isn't as good but that's not why I cruise. I cruise for the fun and relaxation, and if it's not gourmet food but edible, I'm happy. You will have a great time.

Welcome aboard, Pete! Variety is the spice of life and trying different lines is a great way to ensure that you won't tire of cruising. You'll probably notice some things that are done better on RCCL and others that are not. If you go with an open mind I'm sure you'll have a great time. Here are some RCCL-specific things to try:

1. Sail-away cocktails in the Viking Crown Lounge. Great views and a relaxing atmosphere!

2. The ice show. Speaks for itself.

3. Make sure you use the stairs. Not just for the exercise, but RCCL is known for the art collections there.

4. See at least one parade, if only for the spectacle of it all.

5. The rock wall may look intimidating, but the view from the top is worth it..

Pete, welcome to RCCL. You will have a blast. We sail both RCL and CCL, but our preference is definitely RCL. One nice advantage is the stateroom credit given to those who book future cruises onboard. So, I would suggest you have some possibilities for future cruises in mind. The best - Ice Show, Royal Promenade, Promenade Cafe... You will also find the decor to be a major step up from CCL!

Welcome to RCI. I used to be a CCL cruiser too. You'll have fun. It is a totally different atmosphere on RCI. The kids have plenty to do, but the adults also have plenty to do. I LOVE the Solarium. Peace and quiet and NO KIDS. I enjoy being able to take a nap by the pool with out having to endure the constant "MARCO!! POLO!!" games and being splashed by obnoxious children. The Solarium is designed after Roman baths. It's covered pool area with fountains and padded lounge chairs and soft relaxing music - and NO KIDS!! :)

The food, entertainment, rooms and night clubs are better on CCL, but the atmosphere is worth the price to sail RCI. Not nearly as many uncontroled kids running around while their parents are out drinking. Not as much cutting in line and pushing and shuving. The service is also much better and there is more to do.

Enjoy your trip. You'll have a great time. :)

I've sailed Carnival and really enjoyed most of my cruises with them. However, I do think RC is a step up in service. I'll probably return to CCL at some point, but right now we are really enjoying our cruises with RCI and the Crown and Anchor perks (we just made platinum). I hope your experience is as positive as mine have been.

I've sailed Carnival and really enjoyed most of my cruises with them. However, I do think RC is a step up in service. I'll probably return to CCL at some point, but right now we are really enjoying our cruises with RCI and the Crown and Anchor perks (we just made platinum). I hope your experience is as positive as mine have been.

Shirley, you raise an excellent point. Platinum (5 cruises) with RCL really does mean something, from priority check-in to a special event (cocktail party, luncheon, etc.) to coupons with value... right now Carnival doesn't match this!

Carnival wins on better late night entertainment. But we sailed the Miracle in jan 05 and thought the headline acts from ccl were high schoolish. We then went to RCL for the second time (first was eos) and cruised mariner. Food was wonderful, service was top notch, cabin stewards were nice and the ones that were in the halls that saw us each time we passed by even said hi to us. The shows were fine, although I would have liked a bit more at late night. I cannot fathom the thought of another CCL--although I was thinking of Liberty for the movies under the stars. Sounds like a nice idea--but then i thought--Carnival. Too much smoke on all their ships--really started to hate the waiter shows which were nothing more than running around the room to music....which took up too much time! Seen it 3 times on different ships and now I look forward to my third RCL cruise and many more!

Hey Mr. Pete- I'm doing the same thing as you, but in reverse! I'm a RCI cruiser trying my first CCL cruise this summer (not because of anything negative about RCI). Of course you know about the ice skating and rock wall, but they also have a mini-golf course which is pretty fun and has a fantastic view! I absolutely loved my RCI cruises, and I'm sure you will too!

MrPete,I'm going from Carnival to try something new too. Only mine will be the Crown Princess in Oct. I love the Carnival Legend and if it is as nice as that,then I will be a very happy cruiser.Kinda scary,trying another line but I am looking forward to it.Enjoy your cruise.

Laura

I am also a CCL cruiser and will be doing my 3rd cruise on RCL this year in Oct. on Serenade of the seas to Hawaii.I didn't enjoy Adventure of the Seas as well as I enjoyed my cruise on Granduer of the Seas but I still want to do the Navigator and the Freedom of the Seas.Then I must go back and do more ships in the Carnival line because I'm pretty sure I've done all the Destiny Class now I need to try a different class when I return.Well anyways you will enjoy RCCL just as much as you enjoyed Carnival maybe even better. Smooth Sailing to you.

Not that I have any experience on the Mariner (see signature below), but the Voyager class ships are awesome! Not because of their size, but in spite of their size. Friendly people, many things to do, REAL 24 hour room service (got tired of the tuna on CCL). Friends and family insisted that we try CCL, we did the Glory, and the ship was difficult to navigate, clubs and bars seemed to open and close at will, sometimes after only 2 hours! (Bar blue, very stylish, open 7-9pm for Karaoke ONLY, then rush to bingo next door, like cattle [i don't LIKE bingo], only to find the Sushi bar was open about 11 minutes per evening and the other clubs all had continual private parties, is this a rant?)

CCL had a great slide in their main pool, Voyagers do not. Outside of that, I may try a couple of CCL's in the future, but I've got to stay with RCCL! Of course, it was the luck of the draw, but when we were on CCL in Feb, the average age of cruisers was 40 years older than me, and I'm 50!!! (It WAS good to feel like a kid again!)

We seem to book CCL mostly, although we love RCCL as well.

I agree with one of the first posts, we think that there are real positives and negatives for both lines.

As for the posts on the RCCL platinum after 5 cruises, I have to say that the CCL platinum after 10 cruises has RCCL beat big time. Although our next cruise is RCCL, after that we are booking only CCL until we have their platinum(we are close).

We are looking forward to booking an NCL and trying the free style cruising. We may not like it, but we will try it.

InShape: I am defintely ready for a new line and can't wait to try RCCL. I must tell you though that watching Rocky Horror at midnight out on a cruise ship under the stars in the Caribbean was AWESOME. (Ok so I embarrased my 13yo with the Time Warp - but so did a lot of other parents :D ). I was on my lounge chair thinking about buying all the apparel from LIFE IS GOOD. That was truly the life; makes all the hard work during the year worth it!

welcome to rccl- i am betting you will love it- we have done both- found the food to be about the same- i am puzzled when i read others say food is better on carnival- have they really improved it in the last 3 yrs? we don't cruise for the food aspect - enjoy your cruise .....................

I am a first time RCI cruiser as well. I have been on Carnival and loved it. I am also sailing on explorer 8/6/06 and I am getting married on board in port!! We have 46 people sailing with us and 30 guest gettin on and off board before it leaves port. I am so happy to read all these great things about RCI since I am having them do my wedding. Can anyone tell me what the nicest lounge on the explorer would be to hold the reception, so I can put in a request. Thanks! Shannon

I agree with one of the first posts, we think that there are real positives and negatives for both lines.

As for the posts on the RCCL platinum after 5 cruises, I have to say that the CCL platinum after 10 cruises has RCCL beat big time. Although our next cruise is RCCL, after that we are booking only CCL until we have their platinum(we are close).

We are looking forward to booking an NCL and trying the free style cruising. We may not like it, but we will try it.

Just curious as to why you think Carnival's ten cruise benefits are better than RCL's. At ten cruises, RCL C&A members attain Diamond status which grants admission to the Concierge Lounge. How does Carnival exceed?

Carnival does not give on board credits for booking on board and balcony credits as RCI does. You also have to cruise with Carnival ten times in order to receive any decent past guest benefits. Not the case with RCI. RCI also lets you cross over to Celebrity and use their past guest benefits which Carnival does not allow with their other lines. Suite passengers get two cruise credits on RCI. I don't see Carnival as having better past guest benefits. The only thing that I see being better is the free laundry.

Archived