Cruisin' Cheap

Was looking at the latest specials on the website and saw that there is an interior rate on the October 8th sailing of Rhapsody for $399. That's $57/day. Doesn't get too much cheaper than that.

If you're on a budget, if you can sail in October and like the Key West, Grand Caymen and Cozumel itinery, then this looks like a real deal. If I were a first time cruiser, I probably would have gone after something like this. (and in fact, my first cruise was an 11 day Panama Canal on Splendour for $700pp - interior cabin)

There are great deals, if you booked it on board you would get a 100 on board credit and we are stock holders so we get another 100 on board credit and because it is during the fall lots of times there are discount coupons as well. Man I love cruising!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great cruise

Brian J

Prices are so good because it is right smack in the middle of hurricaine season.

Not exactly.

Hurricane season is April through November, with highest activity being August/September. Weather-wise, October is good because that's when it starts to cool down at these latitudes.

I suspect rates are low in October because bookings fall off because of back-to-school.

Not exactly.

Hurricane season is April through November, with highest activity being August/September. Weather-wise, October is good because that's when it starts to cool down at these latitudes.

I suspect rates are low in October because bookings fall off because of back-to-school.

Hurricane season officially starts June 1st. But it's definitely tornado season in a lot of places in April!

I agree that bookings are cheaper during those time because it is the slow season. We always like to book on the off season. It saves us quite alot. By the way, the hurricane season is June 1 - November 30th. I have lived in Florida for over 20 years and I haven't heard that they changed it.

I By the way, the hurricane season is June 1 - November 30th. I have lived in Florida for over 20 years and I haven't heard that they changed it.

I've lived in Texas over 40 years and have been tracking hurricanes for over 30. :cool:

April 18th, 2003: Tropical Storm Ana

May 31st, 1997: Unnamed subTropical Storm

April 21st, 1992: Unnamed subTropical Storm

May 6th, 1981: Tropical Storm Arlene

wow, I just found a tropical depression in January of 1978, can that be right?

May 21st, 1976: Unnamed subTropical Storm

May 23rd, 1972: Subtropical Storm Alpha

Anyhow, you get my drift. Official may be June, but they can form earlier than that.

I've lived in Texas over 40 years and have been tracking hurricanes for over 30. :cool:

April 18th, 2003: Tropical Storm Ana

May 31st, 1997: Unnamed subTropical Storm

April 21st, 1992: Unnamed subTropical Storm

May 6th, 1981: Tropical Storm Arlene

wow, I just found a tropical depression in January of 1978, can that be right?

May 21st, 1976: Unnamed subTropical Storm

May 23rd, 1972: Subtropical Storm Alpha

Anyhow, you get my drift. Official may be June, but they can form earlier than that.

Last time I checked it was "hurricane season" not "tropical storm" season.... can you find any actual hurricanes earlier than june 1?????

~Jen

Prices are unusually cheap this year, even for hurricane season. I'm wondering if after the very active season they had last year, the cruise lines are having a harder time attracting cruisers for summer cruises. There are balcony cabins going for $699 in September for some of the RCI ships, which is the lowest I have seen since I started cruising (which is great for me, too!)

Last time I checked it was "hurricane season" not "tropical storm" season.... can you find any actual hurricanes earlier than june 1?????

~Jen

That's picking nits. :p

Staying derailed, Tropical Storm Allison which hit Houston on June 5th, 2001, was the costliest storm so far in the history of Houston. Estimated 4.88 BILLION dollars of damage.

Time to abandon this nonsense and go post something about a cruise.

~Jen

Hurricane Alma, May 19th, 1970.

Hurricane Able, May 15th, 1952.

I'm lazy, must I keep backtracking? (so I lied about the abandonment)

That's picking nits. :p

Staying derailed, Tropical Storm Allison which hit Houston on June 5th, 2001, was the costliest storm so far in the history of Houston. Estimated 4.88 BILLION dollars of damage.

Time to abandon this nonsense and go post something about a cruise.

Hate pickin at your nits but...Allison also hit June 9th with much more devistation! <---- more nonsense:rolleyes:

Hate pickin at your nits but...Allison also hit June 9th with much more devistation! <---- more nonsense:rolleyes:

tee hee hee....

and OK you win about the few before June 1, however "hurricane season" as referred to by meteorologists is June- November. Just like it is officially Spring here in CT yet somehow we got snow today......:( "seasons" don't always co-operate :)

~Jen

Prices are unusually cheap this year, even for hurricane season. I'm wondering if after the very active season they had last year, the cruise lines are having a harder time attracting cruisers for summer cruises. There are balcony cabins going for $699 in September for some of the RCI ships, which is the lowest I have seen since I started cruising (which is great for me, too!)

This is so true. Was on Soverign last Oct. The seas were very rough and their Island was in bad shape. Sea weed every where and not the clear blue water when we were there in 2000..

We cruised this past Oct.8th in the eastern caribbean. The weather was not great. The first four days of the cruise were rainy. If I remember correctly, there were hurricanes in the area a couple weeks prior and a couple weeks after our cruise. We still had a great time, but would probably not choose this time of year to cruise in the caribbean again. We live in a northern state and prefer sunshine during our vacations!

Hate pickin at your nits but...Allison also hit June 9th with much more devistation!

I'm not sure what your point is. She made landfall on June 5th at Galveston Island. She moved north a short distance, looped around, came back and stalled directly on top of Houston a couple days later, dumping about 30 inches of rain. That was when we had the huge flood. The reason the flooding was so bad was cause she came in, she rained a few days filling up the bayous and the sewers, the low pressure system was sucking up the water and holding it in so when we got 30 inches of rain in 24 hours, there was nowhere for the water to go and it backed up causing that massive flooding. The thing that really struck me about the flooding (at the time) was as soon as she moved off Houston, everything drained in like 4 hours.

I'm not sure what your point is. She made landfall on June 5th at Galveston Island. She moved north a short distance, looped around, came back and stalled directly on top of Houston a couple days later, dumping about 30 inches of rain. That was when we had the huge flood. The reason the flooding was so bad was cause she came in, she rained a few days filling up the bayous and the sewers, the low pressure system was sucking up the water and holding it in so when we got 30 inches of rain in 24 hours, there was nowhere for the water to go and it backed up causing that massive flooding. The thing that really struck me about the flooding (at the time) was as soon as she moved off Houston, everything drained in like 4 hours.

I know, was in the big middle of both floods! :eek:

Archived