Tell me about Labadee

What's it like? Thinking about an itinerary that includes Labadee, Grand Cayman, Ochos Rios and Cozumel. I LOVED Grand Cayman on our last, but want to know what you all think of the "private" RCCL stop at Labadee?

Many thanks,

Karen

March 2006 -- Explorer of the Seas -- Western Caribbean

Labadee is for those people that want a "beach day". It is very pretty. There is a section for children and they have banana boat rides, jet ski, etc., for the older kids. They will serve a barbecue lunch on the island. There is also an area where locals sell items and do hair braiding. My husband and I have been there once. Having done it once, probably would just stay on the ship next time or pick an intinerary that didn't go there and went to another port instead.

Hi Karen,

I consider Labadee to be more like a sea day than a port day. It is one of RCCL's private beaches. Everything on the beach is provided by the ship except for at the marketplace. It can be a very relaxing day. I deliberately choose our most recent cruise to avoid Labadee and Jamaica. Been there, done that.

You most be hooked, if you are already looking into another cruise.:rolleyes:

Labadee is for those people that want a "beach day". It is very pretty. There is a section for children and they have banana boat rides, jet ski, etc., for the older kids. They will serve a barbecue lunch on the island. There is also an area where locals sell items and do hair braiding. My husband and I have been there once. Having done it once, probably would just stay on the ship next time or pick an intinerary that didn't go there and went to another port instead.

This description says all that Labadee has to offer, beaches, lunch, native goods. We loved it though & would go back again without hesitating. We found some good food, liquors, cigars & other unique hand crafted items which we bought.

I took a picture from our aft balcony of a sunset just after a thundserstorm there & use it as my screen saver. You will enjoy it but it is not anything more than a beach day with a flea market. The local sellers can be quite pushy if you are not used to it. They are under very strict orders, however, to never ever touch you to get your attention. They will be in your face though. You just have to pretend they are not there if you are not interested in what they have to sell or it could diminish your enjoyment significantly

We went to Labadee on our Navigator cruise a couple years ago. We will be going again on the Freedom of the Seas in August. I would have preferred a different port; but as far as cruiseship islands go it isn't too bad. It is prettier than I expected. You can see some pictures of it on our cruise review website at www.thepreismans.com .

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the input. We really like the beach so I was thinking this could be a good stop. I love these boards, everyone is always so nice and willing to help.

Hi SuzieTrue --Yep, we are all HOOKED. We celebrated Steve's b'day on the Explorer in March (our first ever cruise) and we want to go AGAIN!!!! Next year is my 40th...so, what's sauce for the goose and all. I'm dropping not so subtle hints and if all else fails, I'll plan it myself! It was great to meet you on the Explorer.

Thanks again all,

Karen

March 2006 -- Explorer of the Seas -- Western Caribbean

Once you get tendered to the beach, there will be people there to get you a lounge chair and they will put it where you want it. There are plenty of palm trees to sit under. For people who love the beaches, it's great. The locals don't bother you on the beach but when you go into the buldings to look at what they have to sell then they pressure you to buy. The ship provides a bar-b-que for lunch. There are bars set up to buy drinks at. It is a nice relaxing place.

Have a great cruise,

JerryB

Been on many cruises and when Labadee is on route ... Great!

First of all.... ONLY RCCL will bring you there!

They LOVE having us visit and spend money, helps thier economy.

It's HOT there, the snorling is a good place to try it, the food fare is fun and the recreational activities RCCL offers are very good.

A great beach, tanning day!

Yes! Been there, Done that.... gonna Do It Again! AND Again!

Sue L,

There are plenty of shade trees. Once you get tendered to shore someone will get you a lounge chair and you just tell them where you want to sit. The beach is very relaxing. The locals don't bother you on the beach but if you go into the buldings where they sell their stuff then they pressure you to buy.

The ship provides a bar-b-que for lunch and there are bars on the beach to buy drinks.

I see you are going on the Brilliance next year, I just got back on the 7th of April, It was my second time on the Brilliance.This past one was an 11 day and the first one was a 10 day. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Have a great cruise,

Jerry

Is there a lot of shade? Or tiki hut/umbrella kind of things? How hard are they to get? I can't sit out in the sun all day! What kind of native crafts were there? I love that stuff!!

Sue

Wonderful crafts market... excellent pieces of decorative metal work, also wooden items. Don't forget to haggle

We have been to Labadee numerous times and always look forward to it. The last time we went on their waverunner tour and had a good time with that too. We will be back in September and once again will do the waverunner things. Then eat and kick back in the water or find a hammock. A great day. :D

When you think of Labadee, think King Kong. Lush, Beautiful, Serene. I was there for the first time last dec. and didnt get off the ship, couldnt take my eyes off it! I was traveling alone so i just parked myself in a secluded deck chair with my binoculars, a drink, and my headphones! Cant wait to go back to explore and am actually only considering itineraries that stop there!:D

Hi JerryB

I was wondering......if you get off the ship in Labadee, and being that it is a tendered port, can you get back on the ship if you want to when you want to. Or ...do you have to wait all the way until the end of the day and then they start tendering. Now that I think of it...I guess they don't have boats all day going back and forth but if you know anything about this can you please let me know? :)

mskatee

Once you get tendered to the beach, there will be people there to get you a lounge chair and they will put it where you want it. There are plenty of palm trees to sit under. For people who love the beaches, it's great. The locals don't bother you on the beach but when you go into the buldings to look at what they have to sell then they pressure you to buy. The ship provides a bar-b-que for lunch. There are bars set up to buy drinks at. It is a nice relaxing place.

Have a great cruise,

JerryB

Hi JerryB

I was wondering......if you get off the ship in Labadee, and being that it is a tendered port, can you get back on the ship if you want to when you want to. Or ...do you have to wait all the way until the end of the day and then they start tendering. Now that I think of it...I guess they don't have boats all day going back and forth but if you know anything about this can you please let me know? :)

mskatee

Tenders run back and forth all day long. Come and go as often as you like.

Hi JerryB

mskatee

Actually, when we were there in December, the tenders were going back and forth the entire time we were there. You do NOT have to wait until the end of the day if you want to get back on the ship. And the tenders hold a lot of people. We love Labadee!

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the offer of questions on the Brilliance, I don't want to hijack this thread though so just a couple of quick ???'s

I actually posted some questions on your roll call board,

I wanted to know % tuxes

if smart casual is followed, or just casual?

What you did in Panama?

Also in Labadee it was mentioned that there is metal work crafts are we talking wall art of sculptures? I love that kind of thing! One of my biggest regrets was not getting a beautiful mahogany wall sculpture in Roatan, because I was worried about carrying it home!!

Labadee sounds wonderful and I can't wait, too bad it is still 50 weeks away!

And haggling is no problem, I love it!!

Sue

Sue L,

I would say about 25 % of the guys wore tux. There were 2 formal nights on this 11 day cruise. We sailed on Monday and the first formal was on Tuesday the second formal was the second to the last night on the ship.

There were 2 smart casuals and i'd say most men wore sport coats on those nights.

In Panama, after going in and back out of the canal the ship docks right in front of a large building. We went in there and shopped a bit and had a beer. The ship wasn't there very long maybe an hour or 2 and we had main sitting so we had to get back to get ready for dinner. We did not take any tours.

As for Laberdee, we have been there often but this trip we didn't shop. It started to rain shortly after we arrived so after smimming a while we went back to the ship so I can't answer you about wall sculptures.

To the person that asked me about tenders, as the others have replied to you they run all day so you can go back and forth.

Hope this helps both of you and if you have other questions just ask.

Jerry

Archived