Alaska 2007 Glacier Bay

tapia

I'm looking for a one-way glacier bay sailing from Seward to Vancouver.

I know that the 'cruise planner' on the HAL site lists none :eek:

But, I did call several different times and spoke with different people and each one said that can't be and was surprised. They expect that this will be changed when the itinerary is finalized.

I'm PRAYING this is true.

Has anyone heard anything about this???? Are there people out there with advanced schedules?

We picked up a 2007 cruiser planner while on the Amsterdam.

You are right.

It does appear that right now, HAL has very few ships going into Glacier Bay. The schedule shows the Ryndam and Statendam going there on their Northbound cruises (Vancouver to Seward) but their Southbound cruises go to College Fjord and Hubbard Glacier.

The only other cruises that go to Glacier Bay are round trips: Noordam - Seattle; Zaandam - Vancouver; & Zuiderdam - Vancouver.

I doubt if things will change too much before next year as only so many ships are permitted in Glacier Bay each year and those schedules must be made up in advance and approved by the Alaskan authorities.

That's really sad. Even the customer service people when I called HAL were surprised and said they thought there would be at least one grouping....

So, there's no chance of change, huh?

I'm afraid that will make my decision to go with Princess instead.......

Have you made a firm decision that you prefer Glacier Bay over Hubbard Glacier? I've been to both, and prefer Hubbard Glacier on a good day over Glacier Bay on a good day.

That sail up Yakutat Bay is one of the most beautiful rides in the world. The glacier itself is bigger, more active, shows much more color than what you'll see in Glacier Bay.

Have you made a firm decision that you prefer Glacier Bay over Hubbard Glacier? I've been to both, and prefer Hubbard Glacier on a good day over Glacier Bay on a good day.

That sail up Yakutat Bay is one of the most beautiful rides in the world. The glacier itself is bigger, more active, shows much more color than what you'll see in Glacier Bay.

Since this will probably be my one trip to Alaska in the next 20 years (easily), everyone says I have to see Glacier Bay--isn't that right?? That seems to be the consensus, so I don't want to miss something that big......

Yes, it does. I can't open the at the moment because my computer doesn't have acrobat.

But, you can go to the Holland American site and on the home page it has a link for new e-brochures. Then you can go to the 2007 cruise planner. Just keep in mind it isn't final yet...

In the 2007 cruise planner that we got, it lists the Volendam doing round trip cruises out of Vancouver on these dates: May 18, June 1, June 15, June 29, July 13, July 27, Aug 10, Aug 24, Sept 7. The ports are: Vancouver, Inside passage, Ketchikan, Icy Straight Point, Juneau, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Vancouver (this should read Seward - HAL goofed - wouldn't be the first time).

May 11 and Sept 21: Vancouver, In side passage, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Inside passage, Vancouver.

May 25, June 8, June 22, July 6, July 20, Aug 3, Aug 17, Sept 14: Seward, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Straight Point, Skagway, Juneau, Sitka, Inside passage, Vancouver.

Obviously there is a problem with the first set of dates I listed above as it is impossible for the Volendam to end in Vancouver and begin cruises in Seward on the same day.

That's a great point.

I'm hoping there are other errors (like excuding Glacier Bay from Southbound sailings by mistake).

I did call HAL again today and they told me they won't have anything finalized until August. I guess it's a crap-shoot with who you get on the phone as to what kind of time-frame they give you.

We have been to Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay and it is a real toss up between Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier - we love both them.

I guess I kind of have my heart set on Glacier Bay.........it must be real special if you need permits and things to get there... Also, I'm hearing lots of nice things about Glacier Bay...

My hard copy of the '07 Cruise Planner has the Volendam doing the 7-day Glacier Discovery cruises from 5/11-9/7, with 7-day Glacier Bay Inside Passage cruises on 9/14 and 9/21.

Glacier Bay 1-way from Seward to Van??????!?!?!?!

No, tapia. Those last two cruises are Inside Passage cruises. I didn't check the itinerary (just looked at the overview), but it would have to be round-trip out of Vancouver. Those are end-of-season cruises. It's too cold to go to the Kenai Peninsula by then.

I have been to Glacier Bay many times and I love it, particularly the Marjorie Glacier. However, last summer I was at Hubbard Glacier for the first time and I thought it was awesome. I would go back in a heart beat!

I have been to Glacier Bay many times and I love it, particularly the Marjorie Glacier. However, last summer I was at Hubbard Glacier for the first time and I thought it was awesome. I would go back in a heart beat!

But, what would you see if you were only going to Alaska once and had to choose??

But, what would you see if you were only going to Alaska once and had to choose??

Hubbard. No question about it. Glacier Bay is my second choice; College Fjord third.

I haven't been to any others. Yet.:D

tapia, please don't be so certain that this is a "once in a lifetime" trip. It might not be. I thought my first cruise to Alaska was a one-time thing, too. Wrong again! My fourth cruise there is coming up in July.

Hubbard. No question about it. Glacier Bay is my second choice; College Fjord third.

I haven't been to any others. Yet.:D

tapia, please don't be so certain that this is a "once in a lifetime" trip. It might not be. I thought my first cruise to Alaska was a one-time thing, too. Wrong again! My fourth cruise there is coming up in July.

For me, I may go to Alaska again, but I don't think that will be for another 20 years or so.

At this point in my life, this will be my last big trip for a while. Even after that, I want to see things like Galapagos and cruise the Mediterranean before returning anywhere.

So, I want to make the most of Alaska while I can--who knows what could happen before you get a chance to go back.....

What made you pick Alaska a second/third/forth time instead of another location for a first time?

*sorry to get serious, I just want the best I can do with Alaska*

Even after that, I want to see things like Galapagos and cruise the Mediterranean before returning anywhere.

What made you pick Alaska a second/third/forth time instead of another location for a first time?

We took our third cruise to Alaska last fall. We will be going back. The great thing about Alaska cruises is that, if you love natural beauty, there's no need to actually leave the ship - cruising sight-seeing is fantastic, the ports are all relatively small and easily explored on your own. There are lots of cruises we'd still like to do for the first time (like this summer's Baltic cruise) including South America (although we've crossed the Galopagos off our list for now), Australia/New Zealand, the Norwegian Fjords and others. There are still lot's of land-locked places we want to visit (Belgium, Bulgaria, Romania, China come to mind). And a number of places we'd like to return to for further exploration (Taormina, Paris, the British Isles, northern Italy). But if the right cruise to Alaska came up (probably a one-way cruise tour) we'd jump on it. There's always something new to see in Alaska.

For me, I may go to Alaska again, but I don't think that will be for another 20 years or so.

At this point in my life, this will be my last big trip for a while. Even after that, I want to see things like Galapagos and cruise the Mediterranean before returning anywhere.

So, I want to make the most of Alaska while I can--who knows what could happen before you get a chance to go back.....

*sorry to get serious, I just want the best I can do with Alaska*

I am off on my 9th or 10th (lost count) Alaskan cruise end of May. Always something more to see & do and that ever gorgeous scenery & wildlife..

Personally, after having seen both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier numerous times I wld pick Hubbard anytime..Glacier Bay offers several smaller interesting and lovely glaciers to view but Hubbard is - to put it simply - spectacular in it's size, activity ('calving') and colors..its a WOW!!

I have been on a lot of cruises and while there are still some I have yet to do for the first time I always grab an Alaskan cruise each yr to 'refresh' my 'soul' in a way that, for me, can't be done anywhere else..Even places like say Angel Falls in South America and Banff, Alberta, Canada, while spectacular in their way, don't 'wow' or 'sooth' me like a cruise to Alaska does.

Hope this helps and u enjoy a wonderful Alaskan experience.

Happy cruisin'!!

cruisecrasy summed it up nicely with "I always grab an Alaskan cruise each yr to 'refresh' my 'soul' in a way that, for me, can't be done anywhere else".

It's been ten years since I cruised to Alaska. It's way past time to go back. In the intervening years I've been to many, many places---some several times---, but Alaska is a special place. Like a favorite weekend respite. Just a wee bit longer! ;)

Archived