MS AMADEUS PRINCESS - Danube River Cruise, Christmas 2006

LahuniBound

Hello! I was thinking of taking my parents to Germany/Austria over Christmas this year, and found a Danube river cruise, from Vienna to Nurenburg, December 23-December 28. The ship the tour company is using is the MS Amadeus Princess. I realize this ship's maiden voyage was only last month (March, 2006), but does anyone have any information? We were thinking of upgrading the cabins to the ones with 'french' balconies, but don't know if it would be worth it, since in my experienc, french balconies are very small and narrow. Has anyone ever just taken the Danube river cruise between these two cities? Anything we shouldn't miss? Our ports are Vienna, Duernstein, Passau, Regensburg and Nurenburg. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi Amy,

First of all, there is a River Cruises board which you can find in the Special Interest Cruises section. You might get more answers there.

The Amadeus Princess is one of the lasted additions of Lueftner Cruises, an Austrian company: http://www.lueftner-cruises.at There isn´t any information online but I do have a brochure.

There are 4 decks

Haydn-Deck: cabins starting with "1", Fitness Center (Vital-Club), hairdresser, doctor/massage

Strauss-Deck: cabins starting with "2", restaurant, reception desk, gift shop

Mozart-Deck: cabins starting with "3", panorama bar, panorama deck (outside space), e-mail station, hospitality desk, Amadeus club (lounge)

Sun-Deck: bow camera, fun pool, lido bar, golf putting green, whirl pool, walking track

The boat has 79 cabins (162 sqft) and 2 suites (237 sqft). Cabins have TV, telephone, writing desk, safe, sitting area / suites do have a tub (instead of shower), minibar, sofabed aditionally.

The boat is 361 ft long and 37 ft wide. Crew is 40. Cabins on the Strauss and Mozart Deck feature french windows but there aren´t any balconies (which you won´t need anyway in December).

Vienna is a city you can spend years without having seen everything. You might read my review about our recent cruise on the Mozart (see link in my signature) and see what we´ve done there. Duernstein is a small town. Main attraction is the church and the ruin. There are lots of nice little restaurants for wine tasteing. Melk is famous for it´s abbey (but nothing else). Passau has the world largest organ in the dome. Check with www.passau.de and ask for a brochure. Regensburg is a great historic town. We´ve been there last December and visited the Christmas Markets. Don´t forget to taste the famous brats at the Wurstkuchl (name of the "restaurant" next to the stone bridge, you can´t miss it). My all time favourite is the former paddlewheel steamer Ruthof (but this is closed in December). Check www.regensburg.de and ask for a brochure. Nuremberg is famous for its brats too. Main attractions are the castle area, the Reichssportfeld, the Christmas Market (but this closes on Dec 24) and the ginger bread. Check www.nuernberg.de for further informations. You will find links to the Austrian port stops in my review.

Out of Regensburg they might offer tours to Weltenburg Abbey (which is directly located at the Danube river) and maybe the Walhalla. The Danube river gorge at Weltenburg is very scenic. Also the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal part from Weltenburg through the Altmuehl valley. You will see some beautiful old castles on the bluffs. A very scenic area.

steamboats

The Amadeus Princess is one of the lasted additions of Lueftner Cruises, an Austrian company: http://www.lueftner-cruises.at There isn´t any information online but I do have a brochure

steamboats

You can download a PDF (Acrobat) file by clicking on the following link:

http://www.intrav.com/transport/amadeusprincess/amadeusprincessplan.pdf

Or if you prefer, go to Intrav's website and click through to get the same.

Intrav's website http://www.intrav.com

• 1 month later...

LahuniBound / Amy,

We took a Danube river cruise December 2005, Nurnberg-Vienna (actually Prague-Vienna). Loved it.

Things that can't be missed: sausages (all of them) ! They were so good. Different at each town. And Gluhwein !

In Durnstein: Very tiny town, but cute. Can walk from one end to the other in about 5 minutes. If able, hike up to the ruins. Interesting and view over the town/valley. Also, don't miss the Wieser Destillerie shop. It is at the end of town. They have free sample tastings of schnaps (the best!) and other liquors. It was very popular with many on our ship on a very cold, wet day. They will pack items up nicely to take with you, if so desired.

• 3 weeks later...

This vessel is often chartered by INTRAV and I have had 2 outstanding experiences with INTRAV on the MV Rembrandt....You're gonna love it!...PS...French Verandas are not for standing on....Just more airy.....

Archived