Flight time from the East Coast

chuckc54

Anyone from DC area or anywhere on the east coast see this? I plan on taking the southbound cruisetour starting in Fairbanks. How long to fly from the east coast and get to Fairbanks. Can I do it all in one day and how late will that day be?

We're not cruising until 2007, but I've been tinkering on the American Airlines site to see schedules for this summer (http://www.aa.com ). It looks like it could take as few as 10 hours with a non-stop on Alaska Airlines from Washington D.C. to Seattle, then change to another Alaska Airlines flight to Fairbanks. The flight times go up from there. Other airlines require 3 flights to get there, with changes in Chicago and either Seattle or Anchorage.

Leave D.C. at 8:00 a.m. arrive Seattle 10:38 a.m. (Alaska Airlines #1)

Leave Seattle at 12:52 p.m. arrive Fairbanks 3:33 p.m. (Alaska Airlines #103) - total flight time is 11 hours 33 minutes.

To get there in 10 hours, leave D.C. at 5:55 p.m., change in Seattle, arrive Fairbanks at 11:54 p.m.

Given my choice I'd take the earlier flight and get in Fairbanks earlier so I wouldn't be so tired the next day. Either way I think the cruisetour will be fun. I know the 2007 schedules aren't out yet but when are you thinking of going and what cruise line. I think we're looking at July with RCI or HAL, depends who gives the best deal, I think I'm going to use a live travel agent.

Anyone from DC area or anywhere on the east coast see this? I plan on taking the southbound cruisetour starting in Fairbanks. How long to fly from the east coast and get to Fairbanks. Can I do it all in one day and how late will that day be?

chuckc54,

Just got flight info today. We are flying in to Fairbanks and doing southbound cruisetour in June. Leaving Birmingham, Al at 8am and arriving in Fairbanks at 7:30PM. That's a long day but better than most flights that I found on my own arriving at midnight. Hope this helps.

bamacrzer

We're flying to Fairbanks this August.

We leave Newark at 8AM & arrive in Seattle 10:53 AM their time. (Continental Airlines)

We leave Seattle at 12:43PM & arrive in Fairbanks at 3:24PM (Alaska Airlines).

So flying time is around 11 1/2 hrs. Also remember about the 4 hour time difference, from the East Coast to Fairbanks.

It's going to be a very long day of traveling, but on the return flight, at least we fly out of Vancouver.

Minette

• 4 weeks later...

nancy: have you settled on an itinerary yet? My family is planning a one week interior tour and a one week cruise but the options are baffling and the expense to see both Katmali and Denali is astronomical so I am looking for any help I can get. What did you decide on and where did you find any help scheduling this? Thanks Joan

nancy: have you settled on an itinerary yet? My family is planning a one week interior tour and a one week cruise but the options are baffling and the expense to see both Katmali and Denali is astronomical so I am looking for any help I can get. What did you decide on and where did you find any help scheduling this? Thanks Joan

Doing both Denali and the Katmai could be very expensive. However, you could save a lot of money by renting an RV. Transportation and lodging all in one.

Or if you don't want to do the RV, drive yourself to Denali, find decent but inexpensive accommodations, take the park shuttle bus, either pack your own lunch or buy from one of the places that does this (do a search on this board), and enjoy your time in the park. If you want to do flightseeing, another large expense. Glacier sightseeing during your cruise may be a better option.

To get to the Katmai will cost quite a bit. There are only two ways there-boat or plane. But if you have already rented a car, you can drive to Homer (about 4 hours from ANC) and save about $100.00pp over the Anchorage Katmai trips. There is fairly inexpensive lodging in Homer. And a few reasonable (for Alaska) places to eat. Or book one of the cabins on the north edge of Homer. Absolutely spectacular views and they have kitchen facilities.

Have you decided what your priorities are? We will all help, but you must let us know what your main interests are.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info., We would like to see the bears fishing at Katmai and the other wildlife and of course Mt. Mckinley at Denali. I know that you can't count on anything because of the weather. We would be flying into Alsaka from Baltimore so I am guessing that would put us in Anchorage? I am not a big of fan of extended car rides and it would appear that the distances between Anchorage, Katmai and Denali are huge and would eat up a tremendous amount of time. I only have a week alotted for the land portion of our tour and would like to spend two days and Katmai and two days at Denali. Please extend any help or advice you can. Thanks so much. Joan

We are flying in mid-September from Newark to Fairbanks, doing a four-night landtour before the SB cruise.

We fly out of Newark at 8:00am and arrive in Seattle at 11:01am (6 hour flight time). After a layover, we leave Seattle at 12:43pm and arrive in Fairbanks at 3:24pm (3 hour 40 minute flight time). Going west, at least you're going with the sun and even though you spend a lot of time on the plane(s) you still get there with time to do stuff.

Coming back, we have a turboprop from Vancouver to Seattle at 11:00am that takes an hour, and then the flight from Seattle leaves at 1:30pm. Here's where it gets painful: it's only a 5-hour and 11-minute flight due to tailwinds, but we lose three hours so we don't land until 9:41pm. :(

thanks for the info., We would like to see the bears fishing at Katmai and the other wildlife and of course Mt. Mckinley at Denali. I know that you can't count on anything because of the weather. We would be flying into Alsaka from Baltimore so I am guessing that would put us in Anchorage? I am not a big of fan of extended car rides and it would appear that the distances between Anchorage, Katmai and Denali are huge and would eat up a tremendous amount of time. I only have a week alotted for the land portion of our tour and would like to spend two days and Katmai and two days at Denali. Please extend any help or advice you can. Thanks so much. Joan

I would arrange your fly in bear trip out of Anchorage, look at Rust's. BUT I would definately suggest you drive to Denali Park, it is a big advantage to have a car. Allow 6 hours with stops- 240 miles. Make a day out of it, plenty to see and do along the way. HOWEVER your last grocery stop is Wasilla- stock up here for Denali Park. :) The car allows you to get into the park on the Park Road, essentially your own "Natural History tour", but superior since you can pull off the road with your binoculars and take your time viewing wildlife. Take the Park Shuttle to at least fish Creek, reserve ahead.

• 1 year later...
I'm leaning towards a northbound cruise in early June, followed by a one-week independent land tour. If 2007 itineraries are the same as 2006, I'd probably go with Celebrity or RCI.

I got some info the other day, it will be a long flight but worth it. I have been convinced for years that if you want to get to heaven on Delta Airlines you have to go through Atlanta first, which is what we're doing coming back, Vancouver to Atlanta to Baltimore.

I got some info the other day, it will be a long flight but worth it. I have been convinced for years that if you want to get to heaven on Delta Airlines you have to go through Atlanta first, which is what we're doing coming back, Vancouver to Atlanta to Baltimore.

Wow - is this a blast from the past! When are you going to Alaska, Chuck? Have a great trip!

We're leaving on the Coral Princess this Monday (6/4). So much for RCI or Celebrity - although I did initially book with RCI before switching to Princess. Our post-cruise land trip is also longer than anticipated in April 2006...9 nights!

I'm from the DC area, and we're coming BACK from Fairbanks in August (doing northbound cruise). We're flying Delta, it leaves Fairbanks at 12:50 am (what WAS I thinking) and gets back into Dulles at 3:00 pm. There's a 4 hour time difference between Fairbanks and DC - so the total trip time is 10/11 hours total (goes through Salt Lake). Going to the cruise, we're flying into Vancouver (also through Salt Lake) and that total trip time is about about 9/10 (must have tail wind)..... Which airlines have the best flights really depends on which airport you're going to go with - IAD, DCA or BWI.... I would check out all 3 (depending, of course, on where you live)....:D I'm a Dulles fan, personally......

I had to think about what was more convenient for my son to drop us off and pick us up. We live in Waldorf (20 miles south off the beltway on US 301), so BWI is more convenient and it has a cell phone waiting area so no one has to park and come in. I did see if I flew into Dulles it's a direct flight from Vancouver and gets in earlier, but it's less confusing to drive to BWI.

would like to spend two days and Katmai

I called in December 2006 for a room at Brooks Lodge in Katmai NP for July 2007, but it was already sold out. It's likely that Brooks Lodge is already sold out for 2008.

If you bring your own tent, the campground is available with electric fence to keep out the bears.

I had to settle for a day trip.

-Paul

We will be leaving on June 11 to Fairbanks for a 4 day land tour (#6) going to Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage and meeting up with the ship, Celebrity Summit on the 15th in Seward to Vancouver. Our flight will leave Newark, NJ at 11:30 am and arrive in St. Paul Minn at 1:18pm...We catch another plane at 2:25pm and arrive in Fairbanks at 5:03 their time. Our time here would be 9:03pm..so that makes our flight about 9 1/2 hours with only one hour being on the ground and 8 1/2 hours in the air. They have us staying at the Sophie Station Hotel in Fairbanks for 2 nights, then the McKinley Village Lodge in Denali for 1 night and then the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge for 1 night.

That sounds similar to the one we're taking July 16th on the RCI Radiance. We board in Seward on the 20th and then spend a night in Vancouver on the 27th before flying back home. Let me know how it goes.

I called in December 2006 for a room at Brooks Lodge in Katmai NP for July 2007, but it was already sold out. It's likely that Brooks Lodge is already sold out for 2008.

If you bring your own tent, the campground is available with electric fence to keep out the bears.

I had to settle for a day trip.

-Paul

I booked the Brooks campground for July 2007 the day reservations started (Jan 5). I think it sold out within a couple of weeks. I heard that the lodge books up 2 years in advance, but at just about $300/person/night with a minimum of two people (I am traveling alone), there is no way I could do the lodge. Plus, I will have a tent for use at Denali NP anyway so it works out well.

When in July is your day trip? I will be there July 9-12.

I'm from the DC area, and we're coming BACK from Fairbanks in August (doing northbound cruise). We're flying Delta, it leaves Fairbanks at 12:50 am (what WAS I thinking) and gets back into Dulles at 3:00 pm. There's a 4 hour time difference between Fairbanks and DC - so the total trip time is 10/11 hours total (goes through Salt Lake). Going to the cruise, we're flying into Vancouver (also through Salt Lake) and that total trip time is about about 9/10 (must have tail wind)..... Which airlines have the best flights really depends on which airport you're going to go with - IAD, DCA or BWI.... I would check out all 3 (depending, of course, on where you live)....:D I'm a Dulles fan, personally......

If you try to rest right after takeoff, actually the red eye flight will help you with jet lag. 12.50am is 4.50am east coast time. So even a rest of 3-4 hours will help you on your way to overcoming jet lag. Personally I enjoy the red eyes eastbound since I start to adjust my body clock up to 24 hours before I fly, and it gives me the entire day before I fly to do things.

Archived