First time Seabourn ? and embark in Barbados ?

blackbird71

I have a couple questions for the Seabourn pros. :)

My TA booked me as single Cat A Run of the Ship. Question what difference is that from a guarantee booking. Is there some price advanage for singles.

My Nov 18 cruise is Barbados to Barbados(I love Barbados). I am doing my own taxi from the airport to dock. If anybody has done this, how long does it take? On my last call in Barbados, they had for "security reasons" :p all cruise passengers dropped off from all tours and you had to walk thru a mini-mall to get a mini-bus to the ship (or you could walk it). If you have embarked in Barbados, how does Seabourn handle this?

Are there any Seabourn secrets/must dos a first timer should know about?

Thanks in Advance.

it should take no more than 30 minutes from the airpot to the seaport, as it were. The routine is still the same, entering the port building with the small shops; then dropping off one's luggage and boarding the small jitney to the ship. It's a quick process.

Make sure you agree to the "total" price before the cab leaves the airport in Barbados. Last year the cab driver gave us one price and then tried to charge $5 extra when he dropped us at the Barbados Hilton because he had used the air conditioner! The hotel bellman told the driver to get lost and told us that he had seen them try that gimmick before. It wasn't a nice introduction to Barbados ... luckily things got better after that.

If you go a day early or return to the USA a day late, the Hilton is a good, new option. I would say about three dozen people on our cruise were staying there the night before the cruise. From the club floor lounge you can see the port in the distance.

Blackbird,

I've flown into Bridgetown several times. It's really quite easy going from the Airport to the Cruise Pier/Port.

If you decide to fly in a day early or post night I can recommend a small

family owned hotel. It's not a 5* but a most comfortable, very friendly AND reasonably hotel on the beach, named Coconut Court Beach Resort. Some of us stayed here year before last. We had a wonderful pre-Pride cocktails/dinner party on the terrace. The hotel also has a car/driver that will pick you up at the Airport and transfer you to the ship the next morning. As my late best friend Herman flew in (as well as 8 other friends that stayed here) he was quite ill. Our T.A. had made arrangements thru' another cruiseline, to have oxygen waiting for Herman in his room. I had been in contact with James Best (at the front desk) and 'lo and behold when Herman arrived at the hotel, James or the Owners had assigned him a valet (at no charge) to assist him throughout his stay. This sweet man attended to Herman lovingly. The next morning the hotel driver had a van waiting for our transfer to the Pride. I shall never forget the gracious hospitality shown to ALL of us. Especially sweet Herman. This was his last cruise. He died in Zurich in Jan. When and if I am in Barbados I will always stay at the Coconut Court Beach Resort. Feels like family!

You'll love the Islands......especially St. Lucia and Mayreau! Buy some fresh nutmeg for your Christmas eggnog! The BEST in the world.

Have fun and more fun!

Happy Easter to all!

Martita B.

If you decide to fly in a day early or post night I can recommend a small

family owned hotel. It's not a 5* but a most comfortable, very friendly AND reasonably hotel on the beach, named Coconut Court Beach Resort. Some of us stayed here year before last.

Happy Easter to all!

Martita B.

Thanks Martita B I have saved that information for another time.

A couple more newbie questions. :)

On my cruise they are having one of those Fish Eggs in the Surf thingys (better run and hiding.gif before I get slapped silly) But the real question is how to they get the passengers to the beach? I am thinking about my cameras and what I would need if they use a boat to get us ashore.

I have entered my data into their docs form, but I do not see any place I can pre-order shore excursions. Does Seabourn do pre-ordering?

I have received nice luggage tags from Silverseas and RSSC with my docs. Does Seabourn do something like that with their docs?

Blackbird,

As I think your Caviar in the Surf will be held on Mayreau you will be tendered to the beach. The small speed boats are very comfortable so plan on taking along anything you want/need for the day. I've done the fabulous beach barbeque on Mayreau......NOT to be missed! UNbelievable!

Be thirsty and hungry! The Pride will bring out all their water toys! Ride the banana boat~~~

As to the pre-book excursions, I don't usually sign up......I just do my own "tours!" In a taxi~~~~Look on the Seabourn.com web site. Or someone in the know, will post this information.

Oh yes, you will receive a gorgeous black leather ticket folder. I don't like this one as well as the ones given 5 or 6 years ago. But it's nevertheless quite handsome. (and expensive)

Feel free always to ask any and all questions.....we've all been "newbies" !

Happy Saturday!

MB

B

Be thirsty and hungry! The Pride will bring out all their water toys! Ride the banana boat~~~

Happy Saturday!

MB

Thanks again Martita B

Water toys.... sounds like a good time. While in the past I have swore that I would never get off a Mega ship at their "private island" this sounds like fun with only 200 people.....

One question for you, how many days do you have on Seabourn?

Thanks again.. :)

Blackbird,

You will be amazed at the "picnic!" The food buffet is truly a sight to see! And all the water toys, sooo much fun! Be sure and take along a sun hat......everything else will be provided.

As to my Seabourn days?? Welllll, NOT ENOUGH!

(does anyone actually keep count?)

Feliz Semana Santa!

Martita

Debbie, the food buffet at "THE Picnic" is very long......every kind of delicatesy and tasty cuisine is offered. Plus wines, cocktails, beer, soft drinks, etc.!

NO lines for the water toys. As the picnic is usually from about 11 am to 4 pm, you can stay as long as you want or take the tender back to the ship at anytime.

This is a "NOT to be missed" special event! Take your camera!

Martita

Picnic-er's~~~You DO like shellfish???? Wellllll, just YOU wait! Anyone

enjoy LOBSTER......and more LOBSTER'S? "The Boy's" will simply lay it out for you......salads, veggies, desserts, on and on and on......

Have a glass of champagne in the SURF! And toast to "The Sister's!"

MB

Brochure... :) :)

Oh Hi..... Just got my Seabourn brochure. Very good reading.

Question on my Turkey Day cruise, the web site showed no times for Tobago, but I thought it was a web site thing. I just got my brochure and the list it as a "Marina Day conditions permitting".

What is an Marina Day?

Blackbird,

If you are a fan of water sports, prepare for an awesome day! The aft hatch is lowered into the ocean and a square "marina" pool is assembled. The marina has a teak deck on all four sides with steel rods and mesh below the waterline to keep the local marine life from "close encounters" with the passengers who may be swimming there.

You can do ocean kayaking, ride paddleboats around the ship or my favorite, the banana boat rides. The banana boat is, as its name implies, is a long thin banana shaped inflatable for 6 passengers to hold on for dear life! A tow line is attached to one of the zodiacs and you are pulled around. At first the turns are very gentle getting sharper as the ride progresses culminating in high-speed g-force turns to get the passengers off the banana boat and into the ocean! Yes, they pick you up and gladly take you back to the ship so you do not have to swim for it! Great fun. Ocean swimming, however, is not permitted as mandated by the local authorities.

At all times the zodiacs and tenders are circling about the ship keeping tabs on everyone enjoying the activities and offering assistance when needed (they will tow you back to the ship if you suddenly become too pooped to paddle your kayak any further. The Nurse and a ceritfied diver crew member are always on duty at the marina as a precaution.

If the above is not your cup of tea, you can always grab a deck chair and read, consume liquid refresments, do a puzzle, soak up some beneficial rays from the sun or confine your water activities to one of the three outdoor jacuzzis on board your Seabourn Yacht.

BTW, I like your avitar! :cool: Bon Voyage! :)

Blackbird,

Ihigh-speed g-force turns to get the passengers off the banana boat and into the ocean!

Ocean swimming, however, is not permitted as mandated by the local authorities.

BTW, I like your avitar! :cool: Bon Voyage! :)

LOL Thanks for the great writeup and I have read someplace here, that one of the sister's Captains LOVES to drive the boat and count the number of paxs he can dunk. rofl.gif

OK that answers the Marina Day question, but while the brochure/web site does not list port times, the web site shows a couple shore excursions for Tobago, so I assume that the ship is tendering paxs ashore for the excursions and then opens up the Marina in the afternoon for the water sports. Sounds like a fun day.

New question, I was depressed with my onboard shopping on the Silver Whisper. Blackbird is a simple person when it comes to shopping on cruises,,, Tee-Shirts..... And yet on the Whisper they did not have any tee-shirts with the ship's name or the words Silverseas on them. Does the onboard Seabourn shops carry these type tees?

As for the avitar, I love the SR71 Blackbird. One of my BIG Lotto dreams, is trying to talk NASA into a short flight in one of their remaining birds they are flying from time to time. :D

Blackbird,

It's Martita here.......arrrrgh, still on Portugal time! I hate this! Guess I'll just need to purchase a bottle of Excedrin P.M........I've never had a sleeping pill in my life! But, this is ridiculous!

As to the Captain trying to "drown" his passengers, that would be: Captain Geir Arne, alias "Wild Man!" (actually he's an "Alien"......he lived near Roswell, New Mexico for many years) The "Prickly Pear Island Picnic" is my all time favorite Seabourn Special Event! And, by the way.......the Legend is THERE today! Richard Branson's Island, "Necker" is just right-around-the-corner from our Island........the Branson family stays on Necker during the month of Dec. and they come over and use Prickly Pear because they don't have a beach.......the cost per day for Richard's Necker Island is: $45,000!

Yes, you will be able to find your "Seabourn" items in the boutique! Tee-shirts, (good quality) etc., etc. Some really neat things! When they have their "good" watches on sale for $10, I buy several and give these to my housekeeper, bartender etc........(the watches are usually the $59-$75 ones)

Have fun today!

MB

Blackbird,

It's Martita here.......arrrrgh, still on Portugal time! I hate this! Guess I'll just need to purchase a bottle of Excedrin P.M........I've never had a sleeping pill in my life! But, this is ridiculous!

Have fun today!

MB

LOL that explains your early posting:eek:... I keep thinking she lives in Texas... And as always thanks for your help.......

Johnny~~~many thanks for posting your great photo! Almost brought tears to my eyes! Well, it's 4:44 Prickly Pear Island time right now....everybody's back on board and the Legend will "set sail" for San Juan tonight!

Thanks again!

MB

Archived