Zenith to Bermuda - Silly Question

mrdorbert

Silly question.

Does anyone know when the ship actually gets to Bermuda? I understand that it docks at 9:00am, but someone told me that it actually gets to Bermuda in the middle of the night and justs sits off-shore until it's time to dock.

I'd love to be able to get a few pics of the sun coming up over bermuda.

About 2 am or so if I remember correctly. They cut back power and go very slowly.

If it is clear out you should be able to pick ou the light houses.

St. Davids and the main one next to the Princess Hotel in the middle of the island.

When the sun comes up the piolt boar comes out and you proceed - again very slowly to whatever pier you are assigned - Hamilton or St. George.

It will take longer to get to Hamilton ad this is about 10 more miles away.

Someone else could tell you what time they tied up and were allowed off the ship.

If you go to Hamilton first get up late.

Get breakfast on the back deck.

Great way to see all the pastel colored homes.

Silly question.

Does anyone know when the ship actually gets to Bermuda? I understand that it docks at 9:00am, but someone told me that it actually gets to Bermuda in the middle of the night and justs sits off-shore until it's time to dock.

Ships arrive off the coast of Bermuda typically between 2 and 3am. Because of the nature of the coast it can take several hours to transit the various channels into the 3 different ports. It also depends on the number of ships, the harbor masters schedule and the tides. Last year it took us over 4 hours to exit the channel from the dockyard. On the Zenith if I remember correctly we arrived arround 3am and docked were docked by 8:00 - 8:30.

If the weather is nice, it's worthwhile being on deck early on Monday and Wednesday mornings, when it first arrives in Hamilton and when it moves to St. George's (I think I was on deck both days around 7 - 7:30 a.m.). Seeing the island and watching the entrance to both harbors is pretty interesting! The best part is when it goes through the cut at St. George's ... it's very narrow.

Michelle,

The Good Night cards with the chocolate on your pillow will have the sunrise and sunset times. You can schedule your wake up time from there to take pictures if you like. Coffee is available in the Windsurf Cafe at about 6:00 AM and, as Longboys fan mentioned sitting on the aft with a cup of coffee, a book, and a camera, is the best way to start your morning. In September we will be in beautiful Bermuda for the eleventh time in nine years, and I am always in that spot every morning enjoying the quiet time and the sounds of the sea. Kevin

Kevin-I like your plan! When I was a kid, I lived in Bermuda across from Gates Fort. I remember watching the cruise ships come in and thinking how much I would love to be on them! I definitely remember the cut, and it will be very interesting being on the ship as it goes through the cut! It looks like you will be returning the day we set sail... I'm sorry I'll miss you, I'd love to chat with someone that's been such a frequent visitor of Bermuda... I miss it terribly, it's been 30 years!

Thanks for the info...

Hi Kevin! I see by your signature that you enjoy going to Bermuda in September. I'm curious to know how you've fared in regard to the weather in September. Have your cruises ever been affected by hurricanes?

We love Bermuda & will be taking our 5th cruise there in July, but have always shied away from September sailings because of the weather, even though the fares are so much cheaper then.

Thanks,

Rich

Hi Kevin (Bearface)

Do you have to clear customs every time you get off the ship in Hamilton & St. George's or is it similar to other caribbean islands. We are planning to go there on the Sept 9th sailing, we are planning on getting off the ship on Thursday (for a wedding on Friday) and then fly back home on Saturday. I notice we are on the sailing a week before you. I too would like to know what your weather from NJ to Bermuda has been like at that time of year.

Cheers,

Hi Michelle,

Lucky you to have lived in the “paradise” we call Bermuda. Laura and I talked about how great it would be to live there after the very first trip; the only problem is that foreigners aren’t permitted to but property in Bermuda. You can lease property but not own it. Ross Perot and Donald Trump have estates there but don’t own them or the property.

Laura and I walk everywhere we need to go at every port we visit. That’s one of the many great things about Bermuda being only twenty square miles. Horseshoe Bay is breath taking, as is the views from any of the golf courses that we have walked through. A walk through the Botanical Gardens is always worth the trip from Hamilton. It gets a little scary walking past the hospital and crossing at the circle where there are no sidewalks and very narrow two-way streets.

First thing we do in Hamilton is to take a ferry ride to Kings Warf (The Royal Dockyards) for a drink at The Pirate Bar and then around the corner to Snorkel Park. The biggest asset of our island paradise is the people. They are amongst the most polite and friendly we have had the pleasure to meet on any island. On one of our many walks, a woman stopped us and asked us if we were lost, and said that there was nothing worth seeing in the area that we were walking towards. She also said that it was an undesirable area and not a really safe place.

Hi Rich,

We have had a little rocking on the way home a couple times. Hurricane Floyd followed us all the way to New York in 1999. We went to Bermuda three weeks after Fabian in 2003. The news and pictures of the damage was heart retching at what would be lost nearly broke our hearts as we it unravel on the news. When we arrived on September 29th we were devastated at the amount of damage to the entire island. The sea of blue tarps covering damaged roofs and loss of all the flora was unbearable. As we walked I had asked the workers if I could help in any way. I told them was in construction for fifteen years and was more than capable of doing something in return for all the great times we had been there with the help of the people of Bermuda. The only response I had received was “No thank you sir. Just enjoy your vacation and come visit us again when everything is back to normal. In February we came home in the blizzard and woke up to 40-foot seas at five in the morning. I guess that luck was on our side most of the time.

Hi George,

Once the authorities clear the ship you just walk off. To regain access to the ship you have to show your ship card to the customs agent and they may ask to check your packages before proceeding to the gangway. The process is very similar to the other island ports of call, but not as beautiful and friendly.

Hi Kevin-

Yes, I was very lucky to have lived in Bermuda... My Dad was in the Navy, and he was stationed there from '70 - '76. We are so anxious to go back and see everything... The list keeps getting longer of places we want to visit! I don't think we'll have time to get to all of them :(

Thanks for all the info... I look forward to seeing more of your posts! I may have more questions for you later.

Thanks Kevin,

My wife's son, (& his wife & 2 kids) was transferred down there after the last hurricane to work as a construction super. You are correct it is a beautiful island and the people are so polite & friendly. We have even noticed the change in the 2 grandkids, probably a result of the schooling process there. They just love it but miss family at home (Canada), but we usually talk to them a couple of times a week,write lots of email and try to fly in a couple of times a year. We like going to the Swizzle Inn, for a drink, where you Swizzle in and Swagger out! It is on the way from the airport to their house!

Cheers,

What time do they usually let you off the ship each day? How long does it take to get off the ship?

Hi Michelle,

As Cruise bug stated "You can come and go as you please". That means 24 hours a day. If you feel the urge at two in the morning just go, but don't foget your ship ID. The best plan is to hire a taxi for a couple hours a day to get through your ever growing list;). You'll get to where you have to go and see the beautiful sights, hopefully just as you remembered them, at the same time:D. The local ferry is also a great way to see the pretty little almost hidden coves. You can purchase transportation passes for one to five days on board the ship for buses or ferries, or indivdual tokens at the ferry station just in front of the ship in Hamilton.

Hi George,

Yuor step sons family is also very lucky to have the unforutnate reason to live there. Have you ever tried the burgers at the White Horse Tavern in St. George. The kids would love it, cause you can feed the fish with any leftover bread of fries.

Have a great day and think Bermuda:D. Kevin

Silly question.

Hi Michelle:)

Zenith is sailing at this moment with the crew only. I just got home

today:( from her last Caribbean cruise till the fall. It is only

crew for the next 2 days......and then on Saturday is the first

Bermuda cruise of this spring. The ship is on its way up to NJ now.

I had an absolutely fantastic time!!!!:D

I teased some of the staff that maybe they could stow

me away up to NJ;)

Hi Lois-

I hope your trip was as fabulous as all your others seem to have been!... I've been reading your posts, and they've been very helpful! I can't wait for my trip... 5 months seems SO far away! Do you have new pics from your cruise? I'd love to see current pictures of Zenith.

Archived