Renting an RV?

SunFunCruiser

Has anyone rented an RV round trip Anchorage to Denali?

I was just looking at a brochure for them. It looks like fun. It would also double as a car rental or train fare, plus hotel. I think the kids would like it too.

Looking for any insight.

Thanks!

We are renting a MH this year for after our cruise - and we have rented once before for almost 3 weeks, did the loop Anch-Fairbanks-Valdez - Kenai. We think it is just the best!! You are on your own schedule, can stop anywhere when you want, and can cook your own food. If you want to camp in the Denali park, though, you really need reservations ASAP as it fills up fast. 1st time we rented w/ABC MH, this time with Great Alaskan Holidays. I am SURE your kids will like it!

We've reserved 8 nights with Great Alaskan Holidays in Anchorage, planning to travel between Seward and Denali late May/early June. We booked in December then in February friends decided to join us. Choices in RV size were already getting to be slim pickin's by then. Plan to book early for best choice and best rates. I think even with ^fuel costs, with 4 in our family, there will be some cost savings.

Our boys aren't 'kids' anymore and I know they'll appreciate the 'leg-room' and a bit more freedom in the RV. If you're interested in train also... look into it for your transfer to/from Anchorage to the port.

Try an RV search here. I know there've been some past posts from those who've 'been there, done that'. :)

Thanks for the info. I looked up Great Alaskan Holidays. they look nice, they are a bit more expensive then Best of Alaska Travel.

Anyone have any experience with Best of Alaska travel?

Also, where have you camped in Denali? Or on the way?

We are going June 2007, when do you think would be a good time to book?

I want to hop back in here a minute... not to take anything away from any RV rental company...

Just make sure that the rates you are looking at include everything. GAH just adds it all up front with published price, whereas some of the others give a published base rate, then charge extra for their 'packages'. It only stands to reason, that yes, I do want linens (package) for the bed, and yes, I do want cookware (package), and yes, I do want use of a generator w/o being charged by the hour. Lawnchairs and TV/DVD (who cares!) may be extra also as well as housekeeping and dumping services. Some tack these on as individual packages beyond the price you see right off the bat. Looks less expensive at first...

GAH offers a few packages extra which not everyone wants or needs, but the basics are included. No... I don't work for the company, I just did lotsa' research prior to booking. ;)

Not so much an issue for us, especially if a great bargain is to be had, but some vary quite a bit in model year offerings, also.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever company you choose! Just be aware of what's included, and what's charged extra.

Denali... there are 2 national park campgrounds for RV'ers. One is at the entrance (Riley Creek), one is 10-15 mi (Savage Creek) into the park.

There are also private ones near the park.

I'm not Kathy, but I'll share ABC's site, I have it bookmarked:

http://www.abcmotorhome.com/

Enjoy exploring your options... after all, I think the planning and anticipation is half the fun! :)

Kathy,

Do you have ABC MH rental's web site? I couldn't find it.

What made you change companies?

What should I look for in a rental?

We enjoyed ABC MH rental - I just think, pricewise, more was included at GAH - like insurance (although the deductible is high, you can purchase CDW also), newer model MH , no prepayment of fees, just a 400.00 deposit until we get there, non-smoking fleet,lawn chairs, etc. You would want a complete housekeeping pkg, incl. toliet chemicals, power generator included, we picked unlimited milage, but you have your choice of paying per mi. if you go over the daily limit. Also, GAH had slideout MH's for rent, once you have a slideout, you don't want to rent without one. I think my husband just wanted to try another company, we had no problems with ABC. Just check whatever company you like with the others available, and you can see pretty quickly what the differences are. It is true that they fill up quickly.

Thanks for the info. I looked up Great Alaskan Holidays. they look nice, they are a bit more expensive then Best of Alaska Travel.

Anyone have any experience with Best of Alaska travel?

Also, where have you camped in Denali? Or on the way?

We are going June 2007, when do you think would be a good time to book?

This year, we are camping in Denali at the Teklanika campground; minimum of 3 nights. We have stayed at Denali Grizzly Bear Cabins and Campground outside the park - just your basic campground. We also spent one night in Wasilla, I don't remember the campground name, though. Take a trip to your local bookstore, and look through a copy of The Milepost - I never go to Alaska without it. You can look mile by mile at everything there is to do and see in Alaska. I'm not familiar with Best of Alaska Travel, although on the site it says they charge a "nominal" fee for houskeeping pkgs. You might want to call and find out what else is not included.....

This year, we are camping in Denali at the Teklanika campground; minimum of 3 nights.

I forgot about that one... it's a bit further in the park, isn't it? Are RV's permitted to be driven while camping there, or must they stay parked?

No - once you get to your site, you have to stay there - we have a "TEK" pass for the following day; the shuttle will pick us up for a round trip to Kantishna. the next two days, we can use the pass on any bus with room...seems like a good deal! As long as there is room, I guess:) .

Hi

We are renting from ABC and everything was included. We didn't have much choice of where we rented because we only wanted it for 4 nights. Some companies wouldn't let you know till 60 days before your date, if they would rent for short term.

I'm sure it will fun.

Sue

I have also rented an RV in Alaska. I do suggest you purchase all the insurance waivers possible. Plenty can happen to a RV and they do over it with a fine tooth comb upon return. Be aware, some companies require dumping before returns, read the fine print. I recommend at least 24 foot so to have a permanent lower bed. Otherwise it's a pain to keep making up the table/couch etc. It's a great family option, ready bathrooms and snacks. :) But don't expect savings in my opinion.

I was thinking a 27 footer, I think we are going to go to an RV place and check them out so we have a better idea.

I don't expect savings, but I have to justify the cost. So, if it equals out what we would play for car & hotel, then it will work for us. Seems about the same.

Doesn't your own car insurance cover whatever vehicle you drive?

Archived