Mexican Riviera - Excursion recommendations

Megsmom1

Ok, I know there is probably already a thread that covers this topic, but I can't find it so please don't *yell* at me.

We will be on Mercury in 02/07 and are beginning to consider excursions. I would like any and all opinions from those of you who have been to these ports. DH and I are both early 40's and in average shape with no physical medical conditions.

Thanks in advance! :)

Megsmom ~ no one here should ever yell at you. And if they do, please let me know.

We did this cruise two months ago in Feb and had a great time. Here's a link to the thread where I posted a review that details what we did during our cruise. It begins on page one and continues on page two. If you'd like the review in an document with photos, drop me an email (it's in my address below). It's a wonderful cruise and I HIGHLY recommend Rissalena for whale watching in Cabo and touring with Tony Sanchez in Puerto Vallarta.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=297604

Feel free to ask questions. ENJOY!

We've done the 7 day Mexican Riviera 3 times and have the 11 day Mercury planned for November. We have done a lot of excursions in Cabo, Mazatlan and Pueto Vallarta, do you have anything special in mind?

In Cabo we have done the Sail and Snorkel (ship excursion), Parasailing (on our own), and Lover's beach (on our own).

In Mazatlan we have done Deep Sea Fishing (ship excursion), Mazatlan countryside by bus (ship excursion), and Randi's Happy Horses two times.

In Pueto Vallarta we have done Rainforest Zip Lines (on our own), Dolphin Swim (ship excursion), Las Calestas Hideaway (ship excursion) and snorkeling from a beach and hired a boat (on our own).

If you want any advice about any of these things I would be happy to tell you what I know.

We are still deciding what we will be doing in November. We are a large family group of various ages, so there will be a lot of variety for us! :)

We've done 2 Mex Rivieras....We were on the 03/27 Mercury Bleach cruise...10th cruise, 1st time X/Mercury...Quite liked the ship, quite liked, despite the particular circumstances of that cruise, what I could see as the (potential for) level of service, activities, entertainment, amenities, et cetera...looking forward to enjoying it all next time!

Cabo....We did the Whale watch on the Rissalena....Host Anne is so right on this(and thanks to her for the recommendation in her review)! We went very late in the whale season (29 MAR), and did not see whales, but sailed up the coast to Playa Santa Maria...a pretty little cove for snorkeling (pretty good) and lunch....Great trip! Senor Eduardo and his crew are A-1 !! Can't recommend this one enough! ($50US pp for trip, all drinks--the Marguaritas are, as Anne said, fantastic!-- lunch,snorkelling equipment). Then, to Playa Medano in the afternoon. $3 (or was it $4?US pp) for one of the trolling water taxis back to the tender pier.

Mazatlan...whole day at El Cid "Mega Resort"...we had to endure the 60 min or so time-share presentation (make sure not to buy!), but transportation there, all food and drinks and some activities (boogie boards, etc) were included for the rest of the day. Nice place, good location, nice pools, but busy.

PV....spent a nice day at the Krystal Vallarta....nice resort, can walk there from the ship, not bad prices on food and drink(GREAT guacamole and Bahama Mama's)....and although we didn't, we've heard many people rave about the massages available at the Millenium Spa on the property....you can check out their web site.

ACA....Kind of a zoo and intimidating on your own (and we're very independent travellers)....we booked an "official" taxi/guide' at the cruise terminal (ie, inside the gate)....despite what's posted, there's no need to pay more than $20 or so per hour....we booked for 4 hours....skipped the offered shopping (we went on our own in the morning)....drove through ACA for a short stop at Puerto Marques beach, stopped for a drink/look 'round the Princess Hotel, short look 'round the adjoining Pierre Marques (as I had stayed there 20 years or so ago....still as quiet and cool as ever)....drive back (great views...stop for pictures) to "old Acapulco"...stops at Frida Khalo/Diego Rivera's house (great murals/mosaics outside)....another stop for great pics (including ship), then to 7:30 divers....back to the ship...our driver was Jose....nice Crown Royal...nice guy....check out the Acapulco thread (as well as the other ports' threads) on the Mexican Riviera Ports board on CC....tons of info!

Zihua....Just did the town/shopping on our own, then did the beach and lunch at Playa Las Gatas....beautiful, but dissapointed to learn of all the coral at that beach....it was EVERYWHERE (well, almost )...Playa La Ropa (beach before) might be better....great lunch....we went down to the last one on the main part of the beach, but the prices on the posted menus look all about the same....buy a beer and maybe some lunch, and lounge on the chairs, use the beach, use their showers....all included. The water taxi here from the pier is $3US pp.return.

Manzanillo....We spent a great day at Las Hadas Resort ( the movie "10" was shot there)....$25 US pp...you get coupons for this which you can then use for food/drinks, etc...a really nice, albeit ever-so-slightly-faded glory of a resort....not huge with a myriad of facilities/activities like some of the newer all-inclusives, but, a beautiful small crescent beach, nice loungers/pads/chairs, nice pool, nice landscaping, not too many people....we had a great time...taxi $10US each way.....btw....great, and reasonably-priced food at their Palapa restaurant at the end of the beach.

We love this intinerary....you get a great embarkation/disembarkation port...try to spend a few days in SD, especially if you haven't been....you get great beauty, great scenery, fairly dependable weather, great ports-of-call and some nice, interesting, hard-working locals...yes, some are on the hustle, you do have to watch your wallet/your stuff, some will try to separate you from your money, but...isn't that the case almost everywhere? Just do your homework (just like you're doing) and you;ll have a great time.

Have a great cruise!!

Kevin

We did a canopy zipline adventure in PV that was amazing! You might want to look into it, if you aren't afraid of heights.
I want to do this so badly, even tho I have horrible fear of falling. I can overcome it if I want to badly enough. The only thing stopping me (and I know this is going to sound silly) is that it says in the description "cannot bring cameras" and for me this is a show-stopper. I am an avid scrapbooker and must must must take pictures. So, is the camera thing real, or just what they are saying?

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming. I am getting more and more excited as the days tick by.

Hi Megsmom. We were also on the March 27/06 sailing on the Mercury, and did the PV Canopy (zip-line) Tour. It was great! I am terrified of heights, so I was having second thoughts leading up to our arrival in PV, but don't worry! It was a great way to spend the day. We booked on-line, and had no trouble finding our way to the meeting point. They e-mail you a helpful info sheet after once you've registered. Full payment upon arrival.

To start, you climb a narrow, winding staircase up to the first platform. Then you just zip from platform to platform, with some beautiful walks through the tropical forest in between. You carry your pulley (it is a little heavy), but nothing a person of average health couldn't manage. There are 15 cables all together. Be sure to bring bug spray, and apply it heavily to your lower legs ( I didn't, and had around 15 bites below the knees!). It is a very safe, well run operation with lots of assistance throughout.

We also did "Randi's Happy Horses" in Mazatlan, as per this website's recommendation. Again, full payment upon arrival. We met Randi at 8am, and very much enjoyed this day--getting to the horses is half the fun. The riding took a little getting used to--I was bouncing all over the place--but soon got into the rhythm of it (although my legs and behind were pretty sore for a couple of days afterwards!). Randi is a wonderful lady with lots of stories to tell. The guides are great, and keep a watchful eye on the group. No crazy horses in the pack! A great fun day.

We took our two boys (12 and 10) and they loved these excursions as much as we did.

Hi,

We were on the March 6 Mercury Cruise, the really sick cruise that led to all the troubles. Didn't get sick though and had a great time.

We did many of the already mentioned excursions and had a blast.

Our favorite excursion was at the port of Acalpuco: a van ride to the silver town of Taxco.

You drive through some marvelous scenery, mountains, organ pipe cactus stands the size of small homes, wild burros, and end up in the most charming town ever. It is at 5800 foot altitude and the white stucco/red tile roof houses coat the hillsides. The cobblestone streets are impossiby steep in spots...but it seems to bother no one. You are served a great lunch and are taken to several artisan silver shops , not the usual port sruff at all. It is a long day..we left the ship at 8AM and I think we returned at 7:30 ish, but I would do it again.

Have a great time and feel better. Say hello to Yogi!!! :D

Has anyone done the *Rhythms of the Night* excursion in PV? This sounds really neat and romantic, but I worry that really it's just cheesy. Any opinions?

Also, where is the best place to do a dolphin encounter? How about whale watching. Is there another place other than PV to do a canopy adventure?

Archived