Need Serious Packing Help[long]

VICKIVICKI

Hi! my name is Vicki, and I need some serious help in what to wear.I am 50 years old and profoundly ADHD with aspects of Aspergers. Because of the Aspergers, I really do not "pick up" how to dress as other people do. I'm looking for some SPECIFIC help in clothes for the cruise that I can carry on into my personal life afterwards.I am a nudist[it's a place where I, and especially my 12 year old son with the same problem, feel accepted]I run a day-care for "creatively -wired" kids and it goes really well because I understand what thekids are going through. While working, I wear big , baggy t-shirts and sweatpants. With my husband at home I wear nothing. At church, I have one summer and one cold-weather dress I have been wearing for years[another reason, I want a change, the church asked our family if they could sponsor us at Christmas, we said no, because they thought we must be really poor]

When I was ypounger, I knew how to dress for my body type, but of course that would not be appropriate now.So, this is my body[remember I'm 50, and though we are not poor, i'm on a Target budget.

First, my body. i have very short[in porportion to the rest of my body] extremely muscular[especially the calves]legs. I have a little extra weight on the thighs apart from the muscle, and am hoping to lose that, but my legs will still be big. My shoulders are just slightly wider than average, and I guess my neck is average in length and width[not wrinkly yet] Because I am short in porportion, my torso is long, sio I do have a smaller waist, and except for some saggy,stretchmarked skin, my tummy is flat. My arms, though I have been working out,do not show alot[very, very little] of definition but at least I have pretty much kept 'wings' at bay. I am quite busty[i already know to wear a really good bra] and my bottom[not small] is still in pretty good shape[i think because I have always been very physical, being ADHD.] Also, my back, luckily has not gotten flabby.My coloring is, i'm fairly tan with freckles on my face, shoulders and knees, eyes hazel, grey hair is constantly a different color. My jaw is square if that would make a difference in the shirt.

When I was younger, I wore short skirts[which, i know, would be inapropriate at my age] and slightly body revealing tops[anything else people thought I was pregnant or fat] I I also used to wear heels to look more in porportion.

I do not have a close friend or family member to help me with this,and it is emberrazzing to ask you, but at least you areall pretty anonymous and you all seem to know alot about fashion.

Be as specific as possible in length, cut,fabric, tucking in shirts, anything. thank you all so much and now i'M WONDERING IF i HAVE THE NERVE TO SEND THIS

aLSO, WHAT TYPE OF BATHING SUIT, ETC I'M TRYING TO MAKE A COMPLETE MAKEOVER ON MY LIFE. I FINALLY GOT MY EARS PIERCED AND AM LEARNING TO BELLY-DANCE,TRYING TO LEARN SPANISH AND [AFTER LEARNING FOR THE FIRST TIME ON MY FIFTIETH B-DAY]LEARNED TO HOOLA-HOOP AND HOOLA-HOOPED MOST OF THE PARADE ROUTE FOR OUR "RED HAT SOCIETY"PARADE HERE IN BENNETT[FOR THAT I WORE RED HAT T-SHIRTS AND PURPLE PANTS, BUT THAT IS HOW RED-HATTERS ARE SUPPOSED TO DRESS LOL]

VickiVicki, for a bathing suit, find a tankini or two. They look good on all body types. Purchase a sarong for a cover up.

For casual nights, buy yourself a couple of pairs of khaki pants and some brightly colored fitted tees. One or two good pair of shorts will work for sightseeing.

Try and find a wrap dress. You'll probably need to hit a department store for this. Most sales people will know what you are looking for and it will flatter your body type.

Either Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, or Lerner New York would be a good place to go depending upong your budget.

For formal night, try a simple jersey spaghetti strap dress.

You'll need a pair of casual sandals and a dressier pair of shoes for the dress and for formal night. Either silver, gold, or bronze can be worn with both.

Most importantly, buy what is comfortable on you. A good sales person can and will help you.

Good luck!

How about a skirt? Make sure it's not really short, but it shouldn't be below the knee, either. Have it hit right at the knee. A white, black, or khaki solid skirt would be cute, anything neutral. You can also wear it to church without a problem. I'd get a couple of brightly colored solid tees to wear with it. Also, find a stretch button-down blouse with 3/4 length sleeves. You can wear the blouse on its own or add one of the t-shirts underneath for variety.

Here are some ideas that I found:

blouse:

http://www.chadwicks.com/product.aspx?PfId=8500&DeptId=8560&producttypeid=1&PurchaseType=0

tees:

http://www.chadwicks.com/product.aspx?PfId=85222&DeptId=8563&producttypeid=1&PurchaseType=0

skirt:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=192313&CategoryID=132

Thanks So Much To Both Of You! I Love The Chadwicks Clothes You Showed Me. Should I Tuck In The T-shirt Or Not, And How Short Should The Shorts Be On My Squat Thick Legs? As Far As A Wrap Dress, Someone Told Me I Should Get One Of Those Awhile Back[actually, It Was In A Magazine Article About What To Wear]. I Found One Just A Few Weeks Ago[black,short Sleeves, Kindof Thin Knit-type Material] And, I Am Real Excited To Wear It.i Bought Some Heels To Wear With It.it Tends To Reveal A Bit Too Much In Front, Though, No Matter How Carefully I Try It On. Should I Pin It?are Sneakers Okay To Wear With Shorts, Or No? Also, With Skirts Is A T-shirt Okay? Thank You So Much. I Am Literraly Retarded In These Types Of Matters Because Of My Unique Brain Wiring.thanks Again

Thanks So Much To Both Of You! I Love The Chadwicks Clothes You Showed Me. Should I Tuck In The T-shirt Or Not, And How Short Should The Shorts Be On My Squat Thick Legs? As Far As A Wrap Dress, Someone Told Me I Should Get One Of Those Awhile Back[actually, It Was In A Magazine Article About What To Wear]. I Found One Just A Few Weeks Ago[black,short Sleeves, Kindof Thin Knit-type Material] And, I Am Real Excited To Wear It.i Bought Some Heels To Wear With It.it Tends To Reveal A Bit Too Much In Front, Though, No Matter How Carefully I Try It On. Should I Pin It?are Sneakers Okay To Wear With Shorts, Or No? Also, With Skirts Is A T-shirt Okay? Thank You So Much. I Am Literraly Retarded In These Types Of Matters Because Of My Unique Brain Wiring.thanks Again

Don't pin the wrap dress and yes, it will show some cleavage but if you have a good bra, don't worry. Have you been professionally fitted for a bra recently? If not go to your closest department store and ask to be fitted.

Yes, you can wear tennis shoes with shorts but sandals will dress them up a little more.

Shorts should fall mid thigh.

A skirt is a great idea and yes, t-shirts look great with skirts! Cute flip flops can dress down a skirt, sandals can dress up a skirt and heels can make a skirt dressy.

If you plan to shop at Target, I've been able to get some very cute & comfortable knit skirts there the past couple years--I wear them with a t-shirt & sandals for work and around town all summer long--I prefer knit dresses & skirts to shorts, personally (waistbands in general make me uncomfortable in the hot & humid Carolina summers:rolleyes: ) Target has also had some cute faux-wrap dresses the past couple years--I got a really cute sleeveless raspberry knit dress that has a crossover front--hides the tummy a little, creates more of a waist, highlights the cleavage....If you feel the cleavage is too much, instead of pinning the dress, wear a little cardigan to cover up on top.

I know you're nervous, but you'll be fine! If it helps you at all, make a table of the days you'll be on the cruise, the activities you're going to do (can be very general, like "pool" or "shore", "dinner in the dining room", etc) and then the outfit you think you'll wear for that activity. Having it all laid out like that helps me plan my packing, and also helps me see where I can mix & match outfits.

Because you say you are short you might look in the petite section when shopping. You might also think about buying some capris as you can wear them while in port and also for casual dinners in the diningroom. Some also have them in a stretch material. If I think of any more i'll be back. Good luck and keep asking questions.

I think capris are a good choice if you're not happy with your legs. I feel more comfortable in capris than in shorts. As for the skirt, you can choose to tuck in the t-shirt or wear it out. Consider layering two different colored tees for fun. Add a fun belt and some cute sandals and you'll be comfortable and stylish at the same time.

For the wrap dress, you may want to just get a lace camisole in either a matching black or a contrasting white. It will look classy underneath and look like it belongs.

For shorts, don't go to short, just above the knee is probably fine. During the day sneakers are just fine. For the dining room you will want to wear some sandals.

I know what you mean about your"wiring". I have a son who is 12 and has ADHD/Aspergers! Good luck, and don't stress. You sound like you are getting it together just fine and everyone here has some great advise.

You Have A Son Who Is Adhd/asperhers? So Do I! There Is Not A Chance That You Are Also Sailing On The Conquest January 21 2007, Is There? I Am Praying That There Will Be Someone For L.j. To Play With.he's A Really Sweet Kid,but "decidedly Different".it Even Became More Difficult For Him These Past 2 Weeks Because His Hair Fell Out From Alopecia.

Everyone, Thanks So Much. I Think Today I Am Going To Order A Red Tankini, As Someone Mentioned. This One Has A Little Skirt Attached[flat Panel] Which Might Help With The Thihgh Issue[people Find It Strange That I Swim In The Nude All Of The Time, But Am Terrified Of A Bathing Suit, But I Am!]

Every year for the past several years, Target has had drawstring linen crop pants available. They are simple, comfortable, and have full straight legs. I'd imagine that for a nudist, it would be best to stick with clothes that aren't super fitted and/or confining.

For a cruise, you'd need only three pair, and you could change up the tops...white, black, flax (neutral) color.

Tunic style tops are comfortable, trendy and cool. I have many in linen and hanky-weight cotton. They can be dressy (with sparkly beading and embroidery), or very casual.

I'd be inclined to tell you to stick with comfortable and relaxed styles, and you can still look nice and put together.

Find a pair of really comfortable natural leather woven sandals, and you will be good to go!

Tracy

You Have A Son Who Is Adhd/asperhers? So Do I! There Is Not A Chance That You Are Also Sailing On The Conquest January 21 2007, Is There? I Am Praying That There Will Be Someone For L.j. To Play With.he's A Really Sweet Kid,but "decidedly Different".it Even Became More Difficult For Him These Past 2 Weeks Because His Hair Fell Out From Alopecia.

]

Unfortunately, no we won't be on that sailing. I am taking my boys on RCCL in August. Im sure the ship your on will allow him find friends on the cruise. Though that week does not seem to be a peak time for other kids to be out of school, you can usually find plenty. As for his hair, gosh that must be tough. I know my son had to recently deal with a heart issue and he just said "gee mom, why does everything happen to me". Was heartbreaking but he's now doing very well. I wish you and LJ lots of luck and happiness as you navigate lifes challenges! If LJ is anything like my son, I'm sure he will pull through like a trooper. Best wishes to you.

Archived