Fall Cruises (pros and cons)

shannoner

I am thinking about going on a cruise this fall and going by myself. I talked to some girl friends about going, but I keep getting the "let's do it" but can't get them to discuss dates and itineraries. I am thinking that I should just book one myself and not wait for them anymore.

I have always cruised during the winter. For those that cruised in the fall, could you please let me know if there are any differences (intensity of the sun, crowds, rain, etc.) than going on a cruise during January through April in the caribbean or Mexico. What season do you prefer and why?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I prefer winter cruising ... because it gets me out of frigid Philly. Of course, I got fooled this year as the entire time I was away on my ms Amsterdam cruise this past January, the temperatures at home were mild. It waited to snow until I got home. :(

But, fall is nice too and I'm taking a fall cruise this coming October as well.

As for waiting for your friends ... don't do it. Just make your plans and if they decide they want to come along, they'll seek you out. I never wait for anyone any longer. I've been burned too many times by people backing out when it's time to fork over deposits. Now I just make my own plans, based on what I like to do.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Shannon,

I don't have any experience with fall cruising so I can't help you there.

I agree with Rita, just go ahead and book. That's my biggest reason for cruising solo...it's next to impossible to coordinate schedules and budgets with other people.

Enjoy!

Roz

Go ahead and book a single, you can always add people to the room. I always tell my friends what I have in mind and when, then if no one wants to book with me, I book a single and tell them again when I'm going. That way its easier to change the reservation and I know I'm taken care of. I've had friends that wanted me to wait and then backed out, meantime the price went out and I didn't get the day I wanted.

As for times, I've cruised the Caribbean, August, September, November, and December. The winter months aren't as warm. I'm going to try winter next year.

Get to booking

The best part of a fall cruise is there are minimal children on board. Makes a difference when it comes to the pools and the spas.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE KIDS! But ever since my son grew up, my vacations have become a time for ME to not be so grown up! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I have cruised in December and September and they both had good and bad points. Our weather in Nassau in December was horrible, cold, windy, yuck. But Coco Cay was georgeous. Last year I cruised in September and we hit hurricane Rita and TS Phillipe. They really weren't bad at all, a little rough the first night, but the rest of the cruise was perfect.

I will always choose September from now on, the ships aren't as full of children, and you can't beat the prices. The price thing really matters to me since I am always solo.

I have met a great group of people through the Roll Call forums and we have travelled together multiple times. It takes a bit of the edge off of going solo. At least I know I have someone to eat with and do other things with if I choose.

When I find a cruise I like, I always book and then tell people about the trip and they are welcome to join me. I've had the same problem with everyone wants to go till it comes deposit time. This way my price is set.

We have cruised in September the past 3 years and have another planned this September.

Weather - Hazy, Hot, Humid. We have had very little rain. I think we have only had one port with rain and that was 2 years ago in Cozumel.

Crowds - Ships still seem to be filling up in September but with less kids so total passengers on the ships are slightly less.

Water - warm at worst. The water has had all summer to warm up so everywhere we go everyone is in the water.

Cost - Its a slight fraction of the cost from all other seasons. September to October and February to March seem to be the lowest rates.

Hurricanes - Could benefit you with extra days or hurt you with less days. You are also more likely to get itinerary changes so if you are definitely interested in visiting a particular port you may want to stick with winter cruising.

Archived