Live From QM2 - April 15 and April 23 Transatlantic

Paul NH

Hello All,

It is 3:25 ship's time and I am in the fully-occupied Connexions Computer room. Thought I would pass along a few tidbits experienced so far.

The Brooklyn embarkation went well. Traffic was good, and the drive between the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (the "BQE") and the pier was fine. Brooklyn is not all that bad, and the area around the new pier has an interesting dock feel to it.

The pier itself is is miles ahead of the Manhattan piers. Last June I was disappointed that I was not able to get a good look at the ship from the outside. And if I tried to take a picture of her, I was immediately yelled at by Security. This year, the parking lot is right off the port bow. You get an impressive view of the length of the ship, particularly the bow area. The layout of the pier grounds is good. Cars pull up right in front of the terminal, bags can be unloaded, and then, if you are driving your own car, you proceed only about another 100 yards to the parking lot. Check-in once again was very easy, and there were no long lines. We left from New Hampshire at 7 a.m. and were at the pier by 11:20 - even after getting lost a little bit and ending up on local streets in Queens for about 15~20 minutes.

Our group occupies three starboard balcony cabins and before departure, they looked out on the statue of liberty and to the right, the southern Manhattan skyline, including a nice view of the Brooklyn Bridge off to the distance. All in all, the drive to the pier, the unloading, the parking, and the embarkation were all good experiences.

The only bad thing I have to say about the Brooklyn experience is something that I feared in advance. That is the sailaway. The departure from Brooklyn still gets close enough (but not as close as the Manhattan departure) to the statue of liberty, and still goes under the Verazzano Bridge, of course, but that sailaway is significantly less of an experience compared to sailing along the entire length of the Manhattan skyline. The Brooklyn departure is a more generic experience of New York City. There is not getting around it, the experience is a lesser one for the loss of the skyline. It is not the same, to see the southern edge of the skyline from Brooklyn. Oh well.

As to the QM2 voyage so far, it has been great. We have a great steward, and service everywhere has been good. I even had two in a row excellent service experiences for breakfast in Britannia. Both times the eggs benedict were cooked just right, and there were no long waits for anything like last year. I will see if this streak continues through the voyage.

Just like last June, we have been experiencing fog for the first two days out. The fog horn has been sounding off every two minutes. As a result, the Captain Warner did not show up to conduct the 11 a.m. Easter service in the Royal Court Theater, and he also did not show up for the second seating Captains Cocktail Party (although I saw in the photo gallery that he was at the first seating). In his noon day announcement he said he hoped to get around the ship more after the fog clears (but he did not say when that would be). The weather was spectacular for the sailway - in the 70s (F), sunny, and a mild breeze. The temperature the first two days has been lingering between 8 ~ 12 degrees C (~50 F) which is not bad. However, it has been very windy on deck. I walked the boat deck (7) both days and today was espcially challenging. The TV officially lists the wind as "Near Gale - 7" and the sea as "Moderate - 4".

The ship has had a gentle roll and pitch both days. No one in our tribe is feeling sea sick at all, although I felt just a little off earlier when I was staying toward the bow for over an hour in the Royal Court and Illuminations area.

We passed 60 miles to the north of the Titanic's resting place about an hour ago. I went out on deck and looked south, but to be honest, between the fog, the extremely strong wind, and the fact that we were 60 miles away, I did not have any emotional connection to the moment.

I met LM1 (Laura) and jakvek (Vicky and John) at the Chart Club yesterday afternoon. We had several Stellas and ended up talking for almost two and a half hours. Good time. I have not seen them at all today yet.

With respect to the pod problem, in my own unscientific observation, I think the ship has more of a vibration on this trip compared to last year. We are seated on the lower level again in Britannia forward on the starboard side, where the ceiling is low. I do not mind that setting at all, but the vibration at our table was annoying. I was not going to do anything about it, but my son complained it was making him sick so I got it changed to a location further aft, and that took care of the problem. The service and the food in Britannia has been flawless so far. The food us always delicious there.

Well, it is 3:55 p.m. I must get myself aft to the Queens Room for tea. My father and his companion are on their first transatlantic at 80 years old, and they have been very impressed with the experience so far. We were all very impressed withe the Rock Opera in the Royal Court Theater. I know people have been complaining on this board about how long that show has been running, but I can now see why Cunard is milking it for all its worth. It was a much more major production than I was expecting. My father, who has been on about a dozen cruises on other lines, was very impressed with the show.

I will try to post once a day.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for posting & delighted things are going well! When I posted from my crossing, rather than crank up the cents/minute in the Library I wrote an email to myself from the cabin - flat rate - then cut & pasted it onto the board when I was in the Library - a lot cheaper than doing it directly online - but then perhaps you are both a faster typer & pithier writer than I!

Peter

We have just completed the Rio to New York Cruise and we were also quite surprised by the vibration problem that was very noticable in the Britannia Grill and on the Balcony of the Royal Court Theatre. We have not cruised on the QM2 before so we cannot compare it prior to the accident - but we have not noticed this problem on other modern cruise ships. We were also very surprised at the extent of the roll and pitch which with we experienced in our cabin that was towards the front of the ship. The sea did not look excessively rough but it made me feel quite sick although I managed to avoid parting company with my dinner.

They are cracking along, according to the Tracking Map (see here):

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=GBQM

Nearly 28 knots - so must be using 3 pods, though there may be some current in there too.....I never noticed much vibration on the QM2 - certainly a lot less than the QE2 which can get quite wobbly in the upper level of the Grand Lounge! And they must be out of satellite for the Bridgecam as that is no longer updating.

Peter

Hello All,

The fog lifted sometime overnight and our third sea day is clear, warm, with fairly calm seas - category 3. With respect to the fog, it is almost an identical experience to our June 9 crossing last year - first two days in fog, then nice weather. More to my surprise, it was incredibly warm today. At 9:30 it was 16 degrees C, which is about 61 degrees F. Although I did not hear a current temperature, this afternoon must be towards 70 degrees F - not bad for an April crossing! Great deck walking weather, and there are many people out on them on their constitutionals. As always, the wind is brisk ("refreshing").

We had a great time at the Commodore Club last night for pre-dinner cocktails. The six of us sat by the windows facing the bow on the port side. The very front of the bow was just barely visible with the fog though. My wife and my Dad's companion were talking and so I gave my two sons and my Dad a trivia question, on what was the name of the Titanic's third sister ship. No one knew, and so suddenly my 12 year old son got up and went over to the passengers sitting at the bar and started asking them down the row. The fourth one knew and he came back with the correct answer. It was good fun at the time along with some other silliness (martini induced on my part). One scandalous thing occured though. My martini was served in this goofy, curvy blue stemmed martini glass. The waiter spilled it as he put it down. Then I spilled it when I picked it up. I asked the waitress if they had "normal" martini glasses and she checked and said they no longer had that type, that they had all been replaced by these new ("stupid") trendy martini glasses. She said they would try and locate some of the other types for me, so I am hoping they succeed. My wife suggested I was being a bit obnoxious, but this curvy stem thing is a serious business for a martini drinker!

My 12 year old got ahead of us on the way out of the bar, on the way to dinner, and by the time we caught up with him just outside in the passageway, he was talking to this woman who was telling him how her deceased husband was an engineer on the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, and QE2, and that years ago he had worked with crew who had rescued the Titanic survivors (I suppose they worked on the Carpathia). I asked if she would meet us for drinks and we tenatively agreed on the Commodore's Club for Wednesday night.

After dinner last night there was an Elton John impersonator at the Royal Court theater who had us convinced we were watching an actual Elton John concert. He had his voice down perfectly.

I skipped tea this afternoon, opting instead for a black Cafe Americano in Sir Samuels. I wrote in my journal while drinking it and looking out the windows.

We have in fact been doing a brisk speed. I forgot to check the noon posting, but yesterday we were doing about 25 knots on average. There certainly does not seem to be any limitations on the QM2's speed. I am really enjoying the balcony cabin. It will be an adjustment to squeeze the four of us back into an outside Quad on the way back.

I am enjoying this trip more than the first time around, which was a bit overwhelming in terms of things to see and sort out. Now, we know where everything is, and we are taking things at a better pace - seeing some shows, catching some concerts, getting out to the lounges more. As expected though, the loss of an hour is starting to build on my mental state. We had room service for breakfast and the knock on the door found me dead to the world. It was very tough to wake up - should have asked for a much later time or skipped breakfast altogether.

Anyway, we are all having a great time. Calm seas, nice weather, great service. Will try to post again tomorrow.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for posting & delighted things are going well! When I posted from my crossing, rather than crank up the cents/minute in the Library I wrote an email to myself from the cabin - flat rate - then cut & pasted it onto the board when I was in the Library - a lot cheaper than doing it directly online - but then perhaps you are both a faster typer & pithier writer than I!

Peter

Peter,

I must figure that out because you are right, it is expensive. I remember you suggested the same last year and I did not get around to figuring out how to access the email and paste it onto a website (I cannot get access to the web on my TV, so how do I cut and paste from my email acocunt onto this thread? Did you cut and paste from a non-QM2 email account, like a yahoo account or something?)

Paul

Paul,

You can send emails from your in cabin television and you are not charged by the length of time you write only per email sent. So should you want to write Cruise Critic posts you can compose them on you cabin telly, and send them to your personal email address. Later when you go to Connexions or the Library you simply access your personal email and cut and paste your Cruise Critic entry onto the Live aboard QM2 thread. No fuss, no worries and still some spare change left over for nice QM2 pen in the Souvenire shop.

Jonathan

Did you cut and paste from a non-QM2 email account, like a yahoo account or something? Paul

Exactly - emailed my Hotmail account from the cabin, then cut n'paste to Cruise Critic in the LIbrary - much cheaper!

Peter

Paul,

Your postings from last year helped us to prepare for our first crossing on the QM2. Like you, we didn't get to see it all, and think the idea of a more relaxed feeling in this trip is very attractive. We plan to cross again soon on her.

In any event, thank you for taking the time to share your day with us. It's a real treat.

Pincus

One scandalous thing occured though. My martini was served in this goofy, curvy blue stemmed martini glass. The waiter spilled it as he put it down. Then I spilled it when I picked it up. I asked the waitress if they had "normal" martini glasses and she checked and said they no longer had that type, that they had all been replaced by these new ("stupid") trendy martini glasses. She said they would try and locate some of the other types for me, so I am hoping they succeed. My wife suggested I was being a bit obnoxious, but this curvy stem thing is a serious business for a martini drinker!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Curvy stemmed Martini Glass? EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!

I do hope they sort that out....I had a curvy stemmed glass on the Golden Grossness....I do hope they haven't picked it up from that! Are they running a Martini Mixology Class? Are you going? If you do, will you remember?????

Peter

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Curvy stemmed Martini Glass? EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!

I do hope they sort that out....I had a curvy stemmed glass on the Golden Grossness....I do hope they haven't picked it up from that! Are they running a Martini Mixology Class? Are you going? If you do, will you remember?????

Peter

I thought the glasses were a bit odd myself, but I must admit, on a very rocking and rolling (and pitching) night at the Commodore, they seemed to be very stable- at least sitting at the bar, not delivering it to a table, or leaning over a low table. Did not spll a drop once, and I AM the queen of klutz!

Karie, who thought they were goofy looking anyway. I saw those in Kohl's and remember thinking , "who would buy such goofy glasses?"

It is 5 p.m. ship's time. It was cloudy all day today, and it just started raining lightly outside. The temperature today has been hovering around 55 degrees F, 13 degrees C. The wind averages 5 - Fresh Breeze, and the sea has been at a Category 4 - Moderate. We have been ploughing along at a consistent 25.5 knots.

My wife and I went to Todd English last night. The food was delicious, but the service was so-so. Our glass of wine went dry at the beginning of the entree and our waiter was nowhere to be seen and the one wine steward so busy that eye contact could not be made. The restaurant was only half filled between 7 and 8:30, and they now have an advertising table in the great hallway down on Deck 2 during the day. The $30 per person charge no longer includes wine, and the ~$80+ charge for the experience was not worth it in my opinion, considering that we gave up going to Britannia, which has been great the entire crossing.

Was up on deck this morning by 6:30 a.m. and walked the loop while the deck crew meticulously cleaned the decks. It has been so warm that I now do my walk in either just an oxford shirt (with undershirt), or at most with a sweater added. Whenever I wear a jacket I get too warm on deck, even with the winds.

Just left tea, which was very crowded today. No one else from my family showed up at first, so I was sitting by myself at a table for four, and because it was so crowded, two gentlemen asked if they could sit with me. Turned out that one of them was toleg, a person who posts here. Small world, even in the middle of the Atlantic. I also bumped into Lady Macwilly at the library counter. Her husband asked for the log book just as I was about to ask for it, and the three of us ended up talking for about 15 or more minutes right there.

Had my first experience with bangers and mash at the Golden Lion. Thoroughly enjoyed the meal, and now I know why some list it as a must-do activity.

Tonight is the last formal night for the eastbound. Time is moving at both a relaxed, but rapid pace. We will be meeting up in the Commodore Club for pre-dinner cocktails again tonight.

Cheers,

Paul

Dear Paul NH,

Just wanted to thank you for your daily comments during your current voyage onboard the Queen of all the Seas.

We will be experiencing her on the July 4th Cruise to NE / Canada from Redhook, 3rd of July for the first time. We have cruised on the QE2 many numerous times and wish to know the difference.

Could you please tell me how you have found the Air Conditioning onboard your current trip? Is there a difference with the A/C in the various parts of the ship that you may have found? Can you add any additional information pertaining to the climate-temperature onboard.

Reason for this question is, we have found especially on Caribbean cruises a major diffference from on deck and inside. Also within the difference parts and rooms of the ship.

Kindly inform me of your comments.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

I found the public rooms to be extremely cold when I was on in 1/05. I even had to wear jeans (major faux pas, I know) one day in the pub I was so cold:(. And this was a Caribbean cruise! Cabin was very comfortable since I had control over the temperature.

If you are prone to feeling chilly, I would suggest bringing a few sweaters or cardigans for layering when inside - definitely need a wrap for formal evenings at dinner.

Thanks for the feedback Atticus...I've been concerned about that and our upcoming Dec 2nd Caribbean. I know how warm it can be outside but I tend to get chilly in air conditioning even tho I live in the south. Not a problem for the guys in the tuxes but us gals in our little evening gowns have a bit more exposure. I'm making a note of your post on my QM2 "bring with list"...it grows longer with each shopping trip...and Dec is still 7 months away!!! Cheers, Penny

Archived