Live From QM2 - April 15 and April 23 Transatlantic

Paul NH

It is 5:10 a.m. ship's time on the morning of arrival. We just passed Cowes on the Isle of Wight and should be cutting north anytime now. There is a large cruise ship about a mile or two ahead of us, looking brilliant in the distance with her lights.

We had a great time on this first leg of the round trip. On Wednesday night, the Maitre'D came by our table and asked us what table we would like to have on the return trip. I thought that was a nice touch. Also, despite numerous contradictions when several of us round-trippers asked about what to do with our bags during the upcoming two day private charter, Cunard came through and contacted all of us and told us to give them our bags yesterday, and they are thankfully storing them on board. Another nice touch. In the Commodore Club last night, the waiters remembered my "problem" from prior nights and found me a straight stemmed martini glass. Another nice touch.

Nits? The ship seems a little on the warm side. There was some banging resonance on the ships hull during two of the nights that seemed to have an amplified direct line to our bathroom for some reason. I do not know if others experienced this problem, or whether this was unique to cabin 5153. Other than those items, and the so-so service in Todd English, everything else was very good.

There are 2200 people on board, and I am told that 1300 are British, and 400 are Americans. I have overheard quite a number of Germans on board as well. Very international - from an American point of view.

As to the jeans controversy, I made a point of paying close attention this time around. In my unscientific sampling over the days at sea, it seemed like the first full day had about 25~30% of the passengers wearing jeans, which then dropped significantly for the remaining days to about 10~20%, in other words, about 1 out of every 10 people that would walk by me would be wearing them. Most of them were the teenagers on board. Of the adults that were wearing jeans, I perked up my ears to figure out where they were from, and the jeans people were overwhelmingly British, which surprised me since I thought the Americans would be the ones wearing them. Of course, the majority of the passengers are British, so this would not necesarily be a surprise in the sampling. I think many who wore jeans the first day noticed that most people were dressed much nicer, and upgraded the following days. Again, all of this is an unscientific sampling. Sometimes I would pass large clusters of jeans wearers where the percentage looked much higher, other times I would not see anyone wearing them at all.

It rained most of yesterday and it was in the 50s F and very windy. I and a few other diehards had a great walk out on deck - a classic transatlantic experience with the light rain pelting us in high winds under a very gray sky. Since it is still dark out, I do not know what the weather is yet today.

LM1 and Jakvek and I met up again for tea yesterday afternoon. There was so much to talk about that the hour passed quickly and we still had plenty to say. Maybe the return trip.

Well, that is all for now. Signing off until Sunday re-embarkation. We are self disembarking this morning, so will be getting an early start.

TTFN

Paul

Dear Paul (also to Brooklyn 1)...This is from a pair of Brooklynites

Your reports have been superb. We look forward to the return crossing & more of your insights. You will now appreciate the we could not organize a group on the Eastbound crossing to petition for a reduction of the fare).. Just some reminders.. You have already found the "Golden Lion" but you must try the fish & chips there.... Also,do not). They are on level 7 & "go" to the Atlantic Room. (also to the Commodore (Yes #1 bar) and the library). We met several "Crossers" who did know about them a/o thought that they were for staff only.. Next time..Sam Cunard's photo.... .

sorry Paul.... but a line has gone astray... It should have said something like... "You will now appreciate the extra hour each morning. However there is no extra fare to be paid for the 5 hours... On an Eastern crossing. we were unable to get a petition to reduce the rates for the missing 5 hours.'. At least you have earned those hours...Enjoy, Enjoy. h/d

., For Paul & his group.....".OUR" so called outdoor elevators are on deck 7.. they ride up to the Atlantic Room (also Commodore Room & the Library) .. a must, esp. for the kids... many passengers have not found them on past sailings...

Thanks so much for the wonderful updates. We have enjoyed them a lot and they have helped. We are happily anticipating our crossing this week on 4/29 and your comments have been on point and have excited our imaginations. It's our first Cunard crossing and obvious first on the QM2.

Now if we can get to Red Hook we'll be fine.... :)

Hello all,

We are back on board after a very nice weekend in Cowes on the Isle of Wight. Perfect stopover for a couple of days, and the weather yesterday was beautiful - sunny and pleasant temperatures.

The QM2 is in the Queen Elizabeth 2 terminal today. Several ocean liners to our north (see guernseyguy thread on super Sunday), and the sight is terrific. I feel like I have been sent back in time to the 1950s when ocean liners were everywhere!

We were on board QM2 for only 15 minutes or so before an announcement was made that the QE2 would be passing along our starboard side. A mad rush was made by many up the staircases. When we came out on deck, the QE2 was already off the starboard stern, with a fireboat spray ahead of her. The sight was absolutely fantastic! QE2 passed about 50 to 100 yard from the rail and looked great. Both ships began to blow their horns and I literally had chills down my spine as many of the crew lining the QE2 were waving to us on deck of the QM2. This went on for several minutes as she passed by us. It was one of those magical moments that any ocean liner buff dreams or reads about.

We are in an outside cabin on this leg of the voyage - all the way forward on Deck 4. Hopefully the seas will not be too rough, because it is magnified in these forward cabins. My father's stateroom is about 7 or so cabins aft of us on the same deck, and because the bow continues to widen outwards, the difference is significant in terms of the additional space they have in their outside cabin. They were almost giggling with delight on the amount of space they had. Thankfully, our steward this year promptly responded to our request for more hangers, and we should have plenty for the four of us in one cabin. We are waiting for our suitcases to be delivered from the Purser's holding area (for round trippers only due to the two day charity cruise this weekend).

We had someone offer to take us to our cabin this time, although we declined their offer since we know our way about. As I passed the reception area later, I noticed a steward take a suitcase off a passenger's hands as he came through the gangway.

The ship is apparently sold out. I will see if there is any noticeable difference between a 2,200 passenger crossing and a 2,600 crossing.

It was interesting looking over the docks the last couple of days and locating where the Titanic was docked, including around the corner where the New York was tied and snapped its lines and almost hit the Titanic only a minute into its maiden voyage. It is great to see the actual layout of the dock area surrounding that bit of history. Last year I spaced out and forgot to take note of any of it - demonstrating once again how much more relaxed a second-time-around crossing can be.

Well, until later. Must return to the cabin and break open the bubbly.

Paul

Welcome back Paul...glad you had an enjoyable break and am looking forward to your reports on the way back. I'm so envious of the port views you are enjoying today with all those great ships in at one time. Hope you are taking tons of pictures and can post some when you return. How great you were onboard to see the QE2 pass. I got chills too imagining the horn salutes...might just have to pull out my bookmarked QM2 horn site for a bit of atmosphere around here!! Bon voyage!! Cheers, Penny

Paul,

You know, if you'd been a kinder person, you could have stopped on your way down from New Hampshire and picked me up~! I could have slept on deck or something! <G>

This sounds so marvelous. I coudln't see much in the cams, but of course, bythe time I looked it was after noon here, both times, which means it was probably already getting somewhat towards dusk there.

BTW, the weather here has been marvelous and warm Wed- Fri. On Saturday it turned cold and rainy. Today is the same- Dreary. So enjoy your marvelous voyage.

I cannot imagine 4 to a cabin. Marc and I barely find room for the two of us (well, and our accoutrements) Much less two women sharing a bathroom! AGGH!

Karie,

who is QUITE jealous!

Silly question, but while you're on board, could you confirm whether there's a book exchange in the library (or elsewhere)? I have some great books that I'd happily bring along to leave for others, but wouldn't want to pack them if it's not up and running ...

Hi all,

Anyone know what time the QM2 arrived in Southampton, I know there was some talk about a later arriveal due to the POD issue. Any idea what time embarcation was?

Thanks

Avalon,

We were docked by 7 a.m. We passed Cowes off the Isle of Wight around 4:45 a.m. and probably could have been docked even earlier but we seemed to take a very slow pace for the last 30 minutes or so.

See my next post regarding ship speed.

Paul

Hello All,

It is 11:30 ship's time (which is currently England time as well). The weather today is mostly cloudy although some hazy sun poked through for a while about an hour ago when I was walking the deck.

The weather today is officially listed as 12.5 degrees C, with a 4-Moderate Seas and a 4-Moderate Breeze.

The ship has a noticeable pitch and roll this morning, not mild and not severe, but definitely noticeable. My wife got seasick and had to have her shot. Our forward cabin this morning is like one continuous elevator ride up and down about 3 to 6 decks. You can really notice the pitch while walking out on deck when looking at one end of the deck from the other, compared to the horizon. The seas are misleading. They are pretty calm, but there is an underlying swell coming out of the northwest that seems to be the source of the movement.

I am seeing a similiar pattern this week compared to last weeks's voyage. It seems like the stabilizers are left in early in the voyage. Perhaps Captain Warner likes to gain some distance early. I noticed last week that as the crossing went on, the ship became more stable. It also seems like the ship is pushed harder early on, and then eased back later in the week.

I am seeing evidence of the additional 400 passengers. This morning, there was a line out into the main hallway waiting to get into breakfast in Britannia. A steward came along advising people that the Kings Court was open for breakfast as well. Some took the bait; we waited for about 10 minutes before getting seated. It then took fifteen minutes to get my tea (Twinnings). The restaurant staff seemed much more pressed this week compared to last. The eggs benedict were cooked perfectly, and we still managed to finish breakfast in about an hour. But still, an hour is a pretty large investment in time for tea and eggs. I can see why so many go to Kings Court. Every time I try to walk through the Court during breakfast or lunch, it seems like a zoo - an absolute traffic jam of trays, stewards, passengers, carts and always, always, people who seem to be standing or wandering in main alleyways with no apparent direction or purpose in life further clogging up an already clogged situtation. I think the Kings Court shines through early in the morning before the crowds appear. It is always nice to sit in one of those bay windows and watch people pass by on the deck outside.

I am in the library right now and it is more crowded than last week. As I look out the forward window from the computer, the horizon is rising and falling some. Every once in a while the ship will roll with the pitch and people try to regain their balance. I am hoping to ger a view of some purpoises. The captain said last week that they were out there when we were getting close to England.

Before coming up here, I just tried to have my precious Cafe Americana (or is that "Americano?") at Sir Samuels and could not get a seat. Hmphhh. I will try again after this posting. I like to sit there and drink coffee and write in my journal. I notice that Germans tend to migrate over to the windows for a smoke there. I like to sit just across the aisle-way in the non-smoking section and look across to the windows.

So far, the wind is less severe than last week, but the number of days sampled this leg is only one, so that is a premature observation.

Well, I feel as though I need to adjust to a more populated ship. I will have to figure out the tricks to that, starting with how to get my Cafe Americano at Sir Samuels. Wish me luck.

Paul

I am seeing a similiar pattern this week compared to last weeks's voyage. It seems like the stabilizers are left in early in the voyage. Perhaps Captain Warner likes to gain some distance early. I noticed last week that as the crossing went on, the ship became more stable. It also seems like the ship is pushed harder early on, and then eased back later in the week. Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for keeping us posted! Your experience of faster speeds early in the trip is consistent with most of my Transatlantics - I guess its just common sense - get the miles behind you so you have flexibility later in the voyage in case something comes up. The stabilisers of course can do nothing about pitch - only roll - the only way you can stop pitching is to stop moving forward! Now you know why on the old Three Class liners Third class were at the front - whatever people think about 'steerage'!

Peter

just as I suspected, you get less with a fully booked ship

I am less looking forward to my grand mediterranean voyage on the QM2 from June 9th to July 3rd but will be interested to hear how to cope with all the peeps. Cunard has advised me that my cruise is fully booked.:(

[quote name='guernseyguy']Are they running a Martini Mixology Class? Are you going? If you do, will you remember?????

Peter[/quote]Peter,

I missed the mixology class on the eastbound but intend to attend this time. I believe it will be tomorrow and am looking forward to it very much. If I do not remember it, well then, it was probably a huge success.

Paul

Hi all,

It is 3:45 ship's time. The QM2 is having a lively day today, with a significant pitching motion accompanied by a moderate roll. They canceled all planetarium shows due to the motion. At the pool this afternoon the water has been splashing about and once and a while a mini sunami is born and splashes clear out of the pool over the floor. I have not seen the water washing over the Deck 2 and 3 windows like last year, but the ship is keeping everyone on their toes (or off them). My wife required another shot this morning after our forward cabin once again got to her. These cabins are fine in calm to moderate seas, but can be a challenge on days like the last two. I am fine this time around regardless of the motion. Oddly, the TV lists the seas as 4-Moderate, even though Captain Warner used the term "very large swells" in his noon announcement. I would love to sail about 100 yards off, parallel to the QM2 while she ploughs along and watch the hull rise and fall with the seas. It must be a sight.

The temperature is 14 degrees C, 57 F. The wind earlier was not too bad for mid Atlantic. The sky has been gray all day, but the weather has been dry. The deck chairs have all been tied to the railing, which I actually like because the space for walking Deck 7 is huge. No bottlenecks anywhere. It is really great when they clear the chairs - a huge promenade.

We had a CC get-together yesterday afternoon but only LM1 (Laura and her mother) and jasifitz (sp?) (Franz, and then later his wife). I think people feel awkward meeting others they do not know and shy away when the actual meeting time comes around, which is a shame because once again we spent about two and a half hours over beers at the Chart Room bar having a great chat about anything and everything.

I notice that Captain Warner has deck crew posted about Deck 7 and the higher decks, keeping watch. I am not positive, but I think this is a new addition since my trip last year.

I just overheard the librarian tell a passenger around the corner ... "It is pitching a wee bit today."

I had my first significant nit (oxymoron?) occur last night at Britannia. The filet mignon in my surf and turf was not hot. It was almost room temperature, but a little warmer. I ended up asking the waiter for another one who promptly brought out an entire replacement plate, inclusive of another lobster. Problem was, my replacement was medium rare beef and my original order was medium. Let it drop. The head waiter shortly thereafter came over to our table and asked me if everything was okay. I just wanted to move on with my meal, so I just gave him a blank stare (which I do not know how he took that) and then looked over at our waiter who looked very anxious. I did not want to say everything was fine, but I did not want to make anymore of an issue. Kind of an odd experience. Other than that, the service and food continue to be very good in the restaurant.

Well, I am off to tea in the Queens Room. I did not have trouble getting my Cafe Americano in Sir Samuels today, so maybe things are easing. I skipped Britannia for breakfast, and ate in the Kings Court instead. My son showed me where you can order your omellette fresh to order, which I like. I will probably return to Britannia tomorrow morning though.

Whew. The ship is really moving around. I like it though. Hopefully my wife will be up and about soon and feeling better - despite the ongoing motion. I believe the captain said the swells are 20 feet and I think they are supposed to dissipate this evening. The weather makes for an interesting crossing, but a person does not want it to last too long.

Looking forward to cocktails in the Commodore Club tonight. Have to go now.

Paul

[quote name='atticus']I found the public rooms to be extremely cold when I was on in 1/05. I even had to wear jeans (major faux pas, I know) one day in the pub I was so cold:(. And this was a Caribbean cruise! Cabin was very comfortable since I had control over the temperature.

If you are prone to feeling chilly, I would suggest bringing a few sweaters or cardigans for layering when inside - definitely need a wrap for formal evenings at dinner.[/quote]Atticus,

My father's companion has complained the last two nights at dinner that she has been cold. In contrast, I thought the ship is a little on the warm side. She ordered hot water at dinner just to warm herself up.

Paul

[quote name='LunchCompanion']just as I suspected, you get less with a fully booked ship
I am less looking forward to my grand mediterranean voyage on the QM2 from June 9th to July 3rd but will be interested to hear how to cope with all the peeps. Cunard has advised me that my cruise is fully booked.:([/quote]Do not worry too much about it. There is a difference when the ship is at capacity, but it is still amazing at how dispersed everyone ends up for the most part. There was an empty table next to us at the second seating. LM1 had no trouble moving from one seating to another. Also, at lunch today we went right in and there was plenty of seating. I will see whether Britannia improves tomorrow. The first day tends to be crowded because everyone wants to eat there. Hopefully many have moved onto the Kings Court.

Paul

Sorry I missed your get-together in the Chart Room yesterday.

I can confirm that there is a member of crew on watch at each side of the ship 24/7 keeping an eye on the balconies in case anything untoward should happen.

The swell is interesting to say the least. I'm sitting in the Commodore Club going up and down nicely. The movement was much less apparent in the Golden Lion half an hour ago, though the waves look more daunting from down there.

Must dash. Off to the Grills cocktail party with the Captain.

Thank you soo much for the live updates. I sailed on the QM2 for 8 nights out of NYC last March and I've been on 50 cruises and must say she was the experience of a lifetime. I just booked the 4 day carib out of FLL on 1/6/07 to St. Thomas and cannot wait 799.00 for balcony. Keep the updates we love them. Seems like you are enjoying yourself. I love the ship model in the COMMODORE ROOM. The model is awesome all lite up.
Hope the ship smooths out even though a like the rolling - Hope the wife feels better. You are so lucky to being doing the back to back. Awesome I'm soo jealous.

Dave in New Jersey
50 cruises and 50 more to go

Paul, what an odd experience I've just had. I read your postings from the QM2 crossing last week. What was odd about that? My husband and I were on it with you.

It was our first time and we would do it again in a moment. Agree about Todd English. My DH didn't care for the food at all and it was certainly pricey. With the great food in the dining room, no need to go there. Did really enjoy the fish and chips in the pub. If it weren't for reading these threads, I never would have known about it.

We had a wonderful time. Too much to do, however. I often felt guilty that I didn't get to go the lectures.

I did object to the art auction taking the Winter Garden space. I liked to read there.

Sounds like you had a great time too. Did feel the vibes, but it wasn't too bad. We had an inside, inside cabin. Deck 6 in the inside aisle. Really like it. Coming into Southampton we felt nothing and thought we had docked even earlier. OK...so that got us up at 4:30 am and on deck.

We didn't make it to the Chart Room on Sunday. Canyon Ranch called. Also never signed the book, although we seemed to spend a great deal of time in the book shoppe.

This makes great reading- thanks Paul.
I feel like a real innocent abroad when I read the sea reports. We travel in August and although I know we will be in the Atlantic (I'm not that green) I am beginning to realise that I have no real concept of the ocean and possible sickness.
I think we had better pack some medication just in case. Can any English reader recommend a good over the counter product please?
thanks
Heywood

jhoney.....thanks for that information about the balcony watches. Certainly good to know that Cunard responded quickly to the need for that in light of the terrible Star Princess fire. That certainly proved that the unexpected can happen, and with dire results. Hope the seas calm for all of you for the rest of the voyage. Cheers, Penny

Archived