Smart Casual, what is it

REGINA

Dont worry it does not exist anymore, mostly just formal and casual now. Used to be smart casual was slacks and shirt and tie for men, no jacket, women would wear something like nice pants suits, skirts, etc. Now if it aint formal night, it is casual night.

Dress how you are comfortable, no worries. Some wont agree with me, and I am one that dresses up every night, but I really dont care how others dress. Not any of my business, they paid their money just like I did and they can dress how they want as long as the cruiseline does not care.

Just got off the Mariner Feb 6, no smart casual. It seemed to slowly evolve away from smart casual starting a few years ago. It may still say that on some ships, but very few observe it. It might also be in conjunction with a theme night, e.g. 50s or western.

Other than a tux on formal nights, I haven't worn a tie or a jacket for our last few cruises. I do tend to wear a guyaberra shirt if they say smart casual or theme.

I really wish the website and the cruise documents would catch up with reality and stop listing smart casual! If they don't have it as a suggested dress code once you are on the ship, it shouldn't be in the other literature!!

Hello...We sailed the Empress OTS last December, and there were two "smart casual" nights. Most people were in nice blouse and slacks or skirt for women and slacks and a nice shirt/polo for men. We dined with the Staff Captain on a casual night, but were asked to dress "smart casual' for the Captain's Table....Helen

As other posts have said, when they say "smart causual", you'll see anything from coat and tie (not formal) to shirt and tie, to sport jacket and slacks, to just plain casual.

Years ago it was listed as formal and semi-formal with semi-formal being changed to smart casual, therefore the confusion as to just what type of dress are they actually calling for.

Dave

We had 2 smart casual nights--some men wore jackets, ties, etc..., but most just wore nicer shirts and pants than "casual". Most women dressed as if they were going clubbing (I guess it depends on how old you are, if you understand that!) Better shoes than casual, slightly fancier, but not "formal".

You know how to dress for a nice night on the town--that's smart casual!

I have even seen people wear jeans on formal nights. hmmm

Personally I like to wear something like a sun dress or similiar. It's just that the only place I wear a dress anymore is to church and that has become casual also.

I think it sets the atmosphere.

When I describe smart casual to new cruisers, I compare it to what I'd wear to church. Dress or nice slacks outfit for women. Slacks, nice shirt and tie for men. Jacket optional.

In February, the Mariner had only formal or casual nights. Our tablemates went to a Crown and Anchor party and they said it was smart casual.

In a way, I kind of miss it. But oh well, it saves me room in the suitcase.

I really wish the website and the cruise documents would catch up with reality and stop listing smart casual! If they don't have it as a suggested dress code once you are on the ship, it shouldn't be in the other literature!!

Just checked the Mariner Compasses for April 2-9, there were two formal nights, 4 casual and one combination casual/colorful Caribbean attire night. No smart casual anywhere mentioned.

I'm glad someone asked this, I saw this on the website and in cruise documents and I was like WHAT! Shirt AND Tie for men on non-formal nights!

Glad I don't have to worry about it now.

Right on, I thought the same thing. Lets not get carried away with another dress code.;)

I'm only impressing people on 2 nights, the rest im going to be very comfy.

The documents for our upcoming 13 night transatlantic on Voyager lists *3* formal nights, *4* smart casual, and the remainder casual. I can't possibly pack that many dressy outfits so I'm renting a tux and going with the "khakis and dress shirt, possibly a tie" look on smart casual. I've never done a transatlantic, but certainly on my other cruises the dress has definitely been sliding more towards "resort casual" and away from ties and sportcoats.

Right on, I thought the same thing. Lets not get carried away with another dress code.;)

I'm only impressing people on 2 nights, the rest im going to be very comfy.

Exactly! Even on formal nights, I sometimes don't wear the tie with my suit. It just gets way too hot. :(

Besides, I am on vacation and trying to escape wearing a full on suit and tie that I have to wear to work every other day of the year. :cool:

Archived