Re manual photo I.D. when entering the ship

Broch

My freinds are just back off the Navigator and they were telling me that although security have your photo stored in their computer and shows up when you enter your seapass card, they still require a photo I.D such as passport, driving licence etc. before they would allow entry on to the ship. They carried a photo copy of their passport ( photo copied at reception BTW) and this was acceptable. Does anyone who has just returned from the Explorer advise me if this is the same for the Explorer.

The photo ID is more than likely required by the port terminal security, not specifically the ships' security. The ship will tell you what ports require photo ID to enter/exit the terminal via the Cruise Compass or an announcement.

We were on the Explorer last month and when we were ready to board in Nassau, before we could even get onto the pier, we were required to show our DL to the local government officals. This was the only island we had to do this on the eastern route. Also in St Thomas, we were required to go thur customs that morning before you could leave the ship (even if you were going to stay on the ship also for the day). They said that this just started not too long ago, due to the fact we were entering the US territory from a foriegn port.

We were on the Explorer last month and when we were ready to board in Nassau, before we could even get onto the pier, we were required to show our DL to the local government officals. This was the only island we had to do this on the eastern route. Also in St Thomas, we were required to go thur customs that morning before you could leave the ship (even if you were going to stay on the ship also for the day). They said that this just started not too long ago, due to the fact we were entering the US territory from a foriegn port.

just FYI...going through customs in St Thomas has been going on for a couple of years now

Explorer 2-9 April: We were required to show a seapass and a photo ID when returning to the ship at all ports.

Thanks Peter Pan. You answered my question. Must be a new requirement on all R.C. ships. I specifically said in my question that it was when they returned to the ship that they had to show Photo I.D. when handing over their seapass at the ship. Nothing to do to do with the port terminal.

Just off Legend April 1-8,2006. Ports were Belize, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. We never had to show a picture ID- just the sea pass card. I didn't even take picture ID off the ship.

Archived