OT-Lunch with Judith Leiber

ryansmemom

Hi girls,

I have to share!:)

I had lunch with Judith Leiber today. I went to a fundraiser for the James Michener Art Museum in New Hope, PA today. They currently have an exibit of Judith Leiber handbags and the ultimate event was a luncheon with Mrs. Leiber. Everyone got a signed copy of her book and a chance to meet her.

The exibit was spectacular. All of those spectacular bags. It's like a candy store for women. Each one is more beautiful than the one before. There were crystal bags, exotic skins, embriodered bags just wonderful peices of art. All were beautifully displayed.:)

Then we had a champaigne reception and luncheon at a restaurant next to the museum. Mrs. Leiber spoke. She told her story. She told us all about her life in wartime Hungary and her escape from the ****s. she also told us how she started her business. It was a wonderful story and a great afternoon.

The best part for me was actually meeting her. Some of you may remember my evening bag. I brought it with me and showed it to her. Well, she held it in her hands, turned to her husband and said, "I made this for Zsa Zsa." Then she turned back to me and said, "I hope you enjoy it, my dear.":)

I almost fainted! I had been told it belonged to Zsa Zsa Gabor, but here it was from Judith Leiber herself!

Oh, I bought another one. 10% off. Mrs. Leiber was there. It was magic. My aunt really liked it, too. Other people were buying them. My DH, likes it, too.

What a day!

Linda

That sounds like so much fun!

I have loved her bags, ever since the Academy awards several years ago, she had made one for the woman (sorry, forgot her name :confused: ) who voiced the character of Babe the pig. It was the highlight of the red carpet evening for me.

I hope you enjoy your new bag and treasure the one that was made for Zsa Zsa!

Sounds like a wonderful time!

I LOVE her handbags. They are so creative and beautiful!

I would love to have one.

How great to have the bag designed for Zsa Zsa's...and meet her in person.

Glad you had fun, and thanks for sharing!

~e

That's GREAT!

Thanks for sharing your great afternoon.

I don't own a Judith Lieber bag but my Mother does and she just adores hers. I remember when she bought it about 25 years ago. She felt kind of guilty about spending that on a bag. Now it's worth 3 times what she paid for it.

But most importantly, she still uses it and loves it and always get compliments on it.

I'm glad you got another one.

Post pix of yours!!!

Thanks so much everyone! It was a great afternoon.

Mrs. Leiber told us about her life. She endured so many hardships in Hungary during the War. After she escaped the German's and married her husband she emigrated to the US as a war bride. She had a difficult time breaking into the handbag business in NY because she was a woman. She was trained to manufacture fine handbags from start to finish. She said in America handbags were "mass produced." She finally started her own business and used only the finest materials. One day a metal bag came in scratched. She hid the scratches with crystals and the masterpieces we see today were born.

I will post a picture of my new bag as soon as I can. I did get a few photos today. Photos of Emily wearing it!:D She really liked it, too.

Linda:)

Mrs. Leiber was honored last month in New York by one of my organizations. It was amazing to hear her story. She had a slideshow of her bags, but there was nothing on display. The museum had a Sarah Bernhardt exhibit at the time.

Mrs. Leiber was accompanied by her sister. She was very quiet. They did not have bags or books to give away :( There was another speaker there -- and he gave out copies of his book. Handbags vs political history? No contest there!

Owning a Judith Leiber bag is very high on my wish list!

Enjoy your bag!!

--Judy

Archived