Dining Quandary--Opinions please :)

starshine

I'm waitlisted for early seating traditional dining (#235 on wait list) on a Princess cruise. Normally, I wouldn't mind late night seating but this is a port intensive cruise and I am not an early riser. If I eat from 8:00-10:00 p.m, I'll stay up even later than I normally do.

Since my chances are low that early seating will be available, should I try personal choice/anytime dining? I don't know if it's wait-listed or not. Anyone sailed solo and dined this way?

Otherwise, if I end up with late night traditional seating, I'll probably eat in the dining room most nights and at buffet a couple nights to have more control over my digestive system :)

Any suggestions?

I've done Princess twice in PC, the first time not by choice. However, I sat with a CC group that cruise, and the second cruise was a year later with the same group. I'd be leery of doing PC as a solo unless you're going to dine at busy hour (which it sounds like you are). Even then, most tables could be reserved so they'd have trouble seating you without a group tat knws each other. I'd most likely wind up doing the buffet rather than rolling the dice on a 2 hour sit down with unknown people every night.

Best bet is to have your TA check to see if there is a waitlist for late and how large it is. It is entirely possible this is a moot question because you're going to end up in PC anyway.

Why not order off the dining menu and have room service in your cabin. I've done that. Then, you eat when you like....with whom you choose (just yourself)...and you don't have to dress up.

Anytime I went to PC by myself, I was always seated with nice people...and it's easier to sit one person than 3 or 4 at peak times.

Just a few suggestions.

I must admit thats one reason why I avoid such ships and go casual cruising, like on OV1, 24hr dining, any-time, any restaurant and no dressing up :), if I 'm on a port excursion I'll eat early. IF not then I'll pop in for supper after going to the nightclub and a nice lie-in in the morning..

Since my chances are low that early seating will be available, should I try personal choice/anytime dining? I don't know if it's wait-listed or not. Anyone sailed solo and dined this way?

Personally, I wouldn't touch PC or "Freestyle" dining as a solo. Too many chances for awkward moments in the dining room. You'll be seated in a similar manner to how it's done during breakfast and lunch ... with the exception that since some people will be dining in their own groups, tables will be at a premium. You'll have no control over who the Matri 'd plops you down with that night. If they are a tight-knit group, it's gonna be awkward for the "odd man out" to break the ice and have a pleasant dining experience. While I realize that breakfast and lunch work the same way, at least those are not long meals. Even if you are seated with unpleasant table companions, you can generally be in and out of the dining room in less than an hour. Not so with dinner.

I'd sooner take late seating in traditional dining, and then use the Lido or room service on those nights when eating late will not work out. I also wouldn't give up on getting my preferred early seating dining time. Even if it is booked, try sliding the Matri 'd a little something extra once you are onboard and seeing if he can't find a spot for you. One person should not be that difficult to accommodate.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, I'm thinking of tipping the Maitre D and see if that helps get me early or late traditional dining. But if not, I'll make the best of it. Maybe try the PC once, see how it goes, and if it's too uncomfortable, eat at the buffet or do room service. I just wish I knew ahead of time because it would make packing easier.

Do try PC, Starshine.....I have done freestyle, pc.....and always, always was seated with likeminded people. Those maitre d's know what they are doing....and more than likely you will be seated with at least a single or two at the table......and I have always found that people are happily amazed that a woman would travel alone and are full of questions about travelling solo...you almost feel like a celebrity. Never have I encountered rudeness or felt 'left out' at the table.

I hope it works out for you....in fact, I know it will......Good Luck!

I usually sign up for late traditional dining with the hope that I can avoid a dining room full with families with small children. Since I've sometimes sailed during the Christmas/New Years holidays, this has worked well. Like you I'm not crazy about eating so late but I improvise (i.e., the lido deck if I've got an early morning excursion or early port day activities planned.)

On my Carnival cruise I lucked out with a fun table of solos so I gladly planned my dining around that.

Faith

I did PC on the Caribbean Princess and had a really nice experience. The first night I went to the dining room and asked to join a table. Much to my surprise, was seated with fellow Roll Call members! Each evening I sat with different people. I got to experience both PC dining rooms...and I even go to eat in the Traditional dining room when there was an overflow. And the one night that I had a table to myself, I spent the entire meal chatting with a young English couple at the table next to me! So much for dining alone! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Michele! I dined PC on Princess and I always sat with a nice group of people open to meeting others. The parties that want to dine together usually just ask to be seated as a group. A couple of times, I met people at PC and we ended up meeting several times during the week for dinner and drinks. You'd be surprised, people always seem to "look out for" you when you are travelling solo; it's very nice.

As an aside, there is always the option that you can speak with the Maitre D on the first day and ask if he can try to seat you at an Early Seating table. There is usually a line of people who, for whatever reason, wish to change their seating arrangements, so you might have a chance for getting into the Early Seating that way.

Archived