Will I get sick??

Kandicetnstudent

I was talking with a co-worker of mine about my up and coming cruise, and how I was SOOO excited about the food I was going to get to try.

She has recently been on a Carnival Cruise and said she got sick! She said that the rich/spicey/different food messed up her stomach for a few days.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can it be avoided? Meds?

I just don't want to be SICK on my first cruise ever!

Thanks for any input!

****FANTASY 5/22/06****:D

;) If spicy food normally bothers you then avoid that kind of food.....in general there is a vast assortment of food to chose from so don't be too worried ..... I prefer the food on NCL than CCL but you should be fine but if you over eat in general you will most likely have an upset stomach...if you take something that you don't like, just leave it on your plate....my rule of thumb since I hate wasting food, is I take a small amount and if I like it I go for more and if not I just leave it......

• 3 weeks later...

Kandice, thousands and thousands cruise on Carnival ships every day - it is very rare that we hear of anyone becoming ill from eating the food. Now, I'd think that if you absolutely pigged out every time you pass the Pizzeria, deli, ice cream and yogurt machines, that could happen!:D

The food in the dining room is so varied, and everything does NOT come with a rich sauce. Just pick and choose what you think you can eat. If, by any chance, you don't care for an entree (or appetizer or soup or dessert)...tell you waiter, and he'll bring whatever else you'd like.

IF there's nothing on the menu that sounds good (fat chance!), you can always order a NY strip steak or grilled chicken breast, baked potato, and Caesar salad. These items are not on the menu, but the waiter will bring them to you if you ask.

You might want to check out the buffet on Lido Deck to see if there are items you might feel comfortable with. (Food is in no way as good from buffet, but just a thought.)

Hope you have no problems, and that you have a fantastic cruise!:)

Enjoy the cruise, eat what you want and do what you want. Don't let what one friend of yours said ruin, or even foreshadow, your vacation. Hundreds of thousands of people cruise every year and a very minute percentage get sick. Even if they do get sick often times it's something that they got on the ship with but hadn't 'come out' yet. I have a pretty picky stomach and have never had a problem on a cruise ship - and I eat a ton on cruises.

Think positive and it will be great!!

I kinda know what the OP is talking about. When I was a lot heavier & just ate everything I wanted, nothing I ate "made me sick" or bothered my stomach (except for having heartburn a lot when I went to bed). Now that I've lost weight & stay away from red meat & heavy, creamy sauces, and "pure sugar", my body's just not used to it. (And I get almost no heartburn!) If I have more than a few ounces of red meat, or a dish of fettuccine alfredo, or more than a few mouthfuls of full fat ice cream, or more than 1 dessert with dinner, my stomach sometimes doesn't feel so good for the next 4-8 hours (or more). And if, God forbid, I somehow combined all that in one meal - I'd have cramps all night! :(

Bottom line, like others have said here - everything in moderation. If you're not used to eating large amounts of certain foods when on land (or large mounts of food, period), your body may not be able to cope easily with the difference in diet. And don't forget - more alcohol than you're used to could cause "stomach problems" too! :rolleyes:

You'll be fine! Don't worry unnecessarily!

Sha

Rich food can be irritating to your system if you aren't accustomed to it. So enjoy with a few bites of some of the richer things like the desserts. It's fun to order a couple of different ones, lots of spoons and forks and share them with table mates.

I've traveled all over the world since I was little and I never get sick. The food on a cruise ship is not exotic in the least. Some of it can be rich, as others have pointed out, but if you eat in moderation you should be fine.

Can anyone guarantee you will not get sick? Of course not. Things happen, but you should not have a problem, most cruisers do not.

I have a very sensitive stomach, ever since I was a small child. If I go on a road trip and eat at a lot of chain restaurants I tend to eat a lot of french fries and stuff (things I don't regularly eat). That usually upsets my stomach so much that I look forward to eating healthy again by the time I come home.

On cruises, for me it is a different story. I eat everything I like, including rich foods. Actually, mainly rich foods. I also enjoy the salads and fresh fruits they offer on cruises. I eat burgers, fries, pizza, cream soups (though not every single night), desserts at lunch and dinner, and danish every morning in addition to a hot and hearty breakfast. I usually gain a pound a day from eating on a cruise!! That's also because I normally watch my figure and eat very healthy to stay a size 4! I don't recall having anything other than minor heartburn on a cruise. I bring Tums with me and my husband and I usually begin taking Prilosec 2 weeks or so before the cruise, and for the entire duration of the cruise. It works wonders. And this is coming from a woman who has both upper and lower digestive problems. Cruise food has never given me any major problems. So enjoy your cruise, eat what you like, and try to fit a few healthy things in there! The salads are usually very tasty as are the fruits!! One warning...you will probably become addicted to cruises forever!!

-Bonnie

• 3 weeks later...

I never got sick and did try some foods I wasnt use to but I also ate alot of food I was use to....it's not like you going to be eating all different foods at every meal, they have about 50-60% what I call regular every day foods .... take some tums or rolaids with you, that should help if you get an upset tummy... have fun ;)

Archived