Camp Carnival for DS in a wheelchair and general questions

Hi. We sail June 3 on the Glory and DS 5 is in a wheelchair due to a hip disease. He is mobile and able to transfer ect.. just no walking, running, jumping. Wondering if anyone has a little one in a wc and how did it go on Carnival?? Also, we didn't book a handicap room since he has a pedi wheelchair and I can lift him and carry him. Will we be very cramped?? Really want info, so please help!

• 3 weeks later...

I feel bad that no one has posted an answer for you. While I don't know much about accomodations for a disabled child - I don't even have children - I would like to try to help.

I would suggest calling Carnival directly. Their personal vacation planners have always been very helpful to me, as well as a friend of mine who is disabled.

Hope you all have a great time on your cruise!

There is one lady who posts on these boards that has two girls in wheelchairs. I'm sure she'll be along and will be able to give you some ideas.

I'm here!

My girls haven't had any problems with the kids programs on Princess so I doubt you will have with Carnival since they are owned by the same corporation.

I would see if you can get a wheelchair cabin because unless his chair folds it won't fit through the door and if it does there won't be room for him to use it in the cabin. My 8 year old is small for her age and her chair wouldn't fit through a regular door.

Does your son have Hip Perthes?

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Yes he does have Perthes. He is in a pediatric wheelchair, we did the measurements it should fit thru the door. We couldn't book a handicap room because they were all gone. It will be fine however because he does some mobility and is able to walk.

The reason I asked is because we have friends from Wheelchair games and their daughter has Perthes. She swims but is very involved in wheelchair basketball and plays on the University of Arizona women's wheelchair basketball team.

I would try to get on the wiatlist for a handicap cabin. You will be so much happier there.

Well, we leave in 19 days and I wouldn't want to take a cabin from someone who really needs it. We can get along fine. His WC is small and he is mobile. He really doesn't need the roll in shower or lower shelves, as I dress him, bathe him ect...he's only 5 lol :)

We too have a child with DS, this is her 10 cruise ( she's 10) and we are heading to do a Med. in 10 days. We have used the kid programs on many lines, but never carnival (never sailed on Carnival) . I would suspect they are all the same. Inclusion is encouraged. I must say, some of the counselors do have experience with children with disabilties and some do not. It is a crap shoot to the quality of the program. I have over the years remained in the kid club with my daughter for a while until I am comfortable with the staff. Most ships have beepers as well to give to the parents of the smaller children, ask for one. I also would suggest that you purchase the 2 wave radios just to give you extra piece of mind to give to the staff in case your son needs you (incase they dont have beepers, and I am a bit over protective, but it lets me enjoy the pool, with out constant worry). Even one hours by the pool is great!

Regarding the wheel chair. when our daughter was smaller, we took a stroller everywhere, we found it easiest to leave it in front of our cabin door when we were in it. This gave us the entire cabin to move about in. It sounds like he only needs it for public spaces, and the cabins are so small anyway, that we could all with a few steps get to the shower, and bed in on giant step.

I hope this helps, but most of all, take your child with you and show them the world. My bet is you will see at least 2 other families with DS people as well. We are all out there and doing our thing!:D

My daughter is 5 and in a wheelchair (spinal cord injury). We haven't cruised Carnival so I can't comment on their kids program, but I wanted to say that we have never used a handicapped cabin. We always book an aft cabin because they have very large balconies--our daughter can wheel herself around on the balcony quite well (whereas the cabin itself is pretty darned small for that). We've never had trouble getting her wheelchair in through the door. As she gets older we may feel the need to book a handicapped cabin but right now we're sold on the aft cabins.

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them!

Archived