Ketchikan - Saxman or Totem Bright

HockeyBoysMom

While we are in Ketchikan we are going to do the rainforest sactuary tour through our cruise ship, but we are also interested in going to either Saxman Village or Totem Bright for some totem pole viewing. I would like to learn about the totem poles, but I am somewhat concerned about going on a three hour tour. I don't know if I want to learn that much :)

What I am wondering is first off, which place is better to go? And then is it possible to go independently, or are we only going to learn anything if we go on a tour. I have heard of Sourdough Tours and thought about booking them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ketchikan has been the hardest port to plan for us because we really had out heart set on going out to Misty Fjords, but a float plane is out of our budget and none of the boat tours fit into our length of time in port.

Thanks,

Dusty

If you really want to "learn" about the totems, then also consider the Public Lands exhibits- http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/discoverycenter/

and Totem Heritage Museum. http://www.city.ketchikan.ak.us/departments/museums/totem.html

Both walkable from the dock, pick up a walking tour map from the dock visitor center. Also many totems right downtown. Up the funicular at the Westmark and out the back are several especially nice ones. A Saxman Village tour would probably take up the least time, there were some 2 hour tours about $25 from the dock visitor center.

BQ refers to a way to get tours at the dock - there is a large building on the dock with many tour operators for different tours. It is easy to get a tour there rather than from the ship (and you can wait to see what the weather is going to be). Nancy

Archived