Red Onion Saloon

HockeyBoysMom

If you like a libation now and then, you like historic places and you like to have a good time, definately wander into the Red Onion.

Also, if you like jazz and you happen to be in downtown Skagway on a mid-week afternoon (when there are a few ships docked), go to the Red Onion for an excellent jazz jam. For years now, the R-O (as it's known locally) has hosted jazz jams for the many fine musicians working on the ships.

Another thing, while the Red Dog is better known (downtown Juneau), the R-O is (in my not too humble opinion) much less "touristy" and actually has a real selection of beers, including local beers from Haines. The Red Dog is the worst place for beer in all of SE Alaska.

How can you even compare the Red Dog Saloon with the Red Onion Saloon? They're totally different places, with different themes and a different purpose. About the only fair comparison I've noticed is that the Red Onion used to have lots of used equipment from the Red Dog (chairs, beer coolers, etc.)

I can't say anything quite so negative as claiming either are the "worst" for anything. It's apples and oranges, and I make a point of visiting each one with my tourist F&F.

-Case

Have been to the Red Onion Saloon in Skagway and the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau several times.

Enjoyed both!!

Ditto-In fact, my wife worked in the Red Dog many years ago when it was in a different location. She says it was surprising what they'd find in the sawdust when they raked it. ;)

-Monte

Archived