Anyone Have Information About Handicap Rooms on Oceania?

• 4 months later...

Hi,

My husband and I were on Oceania Regatta Feb-March 2005. We loved the ship. However the HC rooms are all inside on deck 3. They have bathtubs but will bring a shower stool that you put on the floor and shower with the hand attachment. The floor drains well so your feet aren't under water and quickly so it doesn't go under the door. We found it worked well. My biggest complaint is that the gangway used outside the US was too narrow for my wheelchair and getting off was an ordeal. They don't have a lift to get to and from the tender deck. Four guys picked up me and my chair and carried me down (then back up upon returning) 5 steps. I just closed my eyes and prayed!

However, if they would get a wider gangway, we would cruise with them again and if we could have an accessible balcony room, it would be our cruise line of choice. The ship's decor is magnificent. Service is unbeatable. The food was outstanding.

• 4 months later...

Just read your post from August about your trip on the Regatta. My wife and I have reserved, but not yet paid for, a vernanda cabin on deck 6 (non h/c). I have MS and walk with a cane. It's diffcult for me to walk more than a couple of city blocks or climb more than a flight of stairs. I'd hoped to bring a small, light scooter (the Pride Sonic) along for use on board and, as much as possible, in port. The trip is Barcelona - Venice with stops in Provence, Monte Carlo, Portofino, Florence, Bonifacio, Rome, Amalfi, Sorrento, Corfu and Dubrovnik. Do you think I'll be able to do many (or any) of the shore excursions? Do you think I'll have space in the cabin to park the scooter at night?

Anchorman, I have been to Barcelona, Rome and Monte Carlo. I think you will be better served by taking a manual chair rather than a scooter with the exception of Barcelona which seemed very accessible. The other two have lots of steps and of special concern very few curb cuts so I don't think a scooter would allow you much access at all. Also I never found accessible buses or vans in Rome or Monte Carlo. Does your scooter fit into a small taxi trunk? Can you take it apart yourself? I've not been on Oceania so I cannot comment on that. I use a rollator that collapses and fits fine in a regular cabin but even it is a bit much for some taxi trunks.

Anchorman, I have been to Barcelona, Rome and Monte Carlo. I think you will be better served by taking a manual chair rather than a scooter with the exception of Barcelona which seemed very accessible. The other two have lots of steps and of special concern very few curb cuts so I don't think a scooter would allow you much access at all. Also I never found accessible buses or vans in Rome or Monte Carlo. Does your scooter fit into a small taxi trunk? Can you take it apart yourself? I've not been on Oceania so I cannot comment on that. I use a rollator that collapses and fits fine in a regular cabin but even it is a bit much for some taxi trunks.

Archived