Another dining room attire question......

Fun~N~Sun

After really thinking about it I should not have asked this question. In 2001 when three of my family members (my father, mother, and brother) were diagnosed with cancer at the same time I made some monumental life changes. I decided then and there the little things in life didn't matter any more and not to be so judgemental against others. "Live Like You Were Dying" became our motto and when all three of them died within months of each other I knew I had to keep the motto alive. It doesn't really matter what others think. Life is too short to worry about what kinds of pants someone wears or if they button their shirt up. Sometimes I just need those three guardian angels to remind me.....

I guess I mostly asked the question just to avoid him being embarrassed if someone from the cruise line should approach him and tell him he was dressed inappropriately. I don't think that will happen but if it does...he knows those three guardian angels and the "Man" they are with doesn't care. He wore sandals too.

I'm afraid that the dress code wasn't followed so closely as most of you on my cruise on the Conquest. One of the adults at my table even wore shorts at least 3 nights and nobody said anything to him. Their whole family came in what they wore to the port one night (shorts, tshirts, etc). Our 18 yr old wore a suit on formal nights but dressed like the OP's son except he wore jeans on casual nights although sometimes with a jacket. He goes to college and other than his suit, really doesn't wear khakis or slacks. I know I'm opening myself up to ridicule here (you're a tough crowd, lol) but honestly it didn't matter to me. He looked fine and better than many. It was our vacation too.

I'm afraid that the dress code wasn't followed so closely as most of you on my cruise on the Conquest. One of the adults at my table even wore shorts at least 3 nights and nobody said anything to him. Their whole family came in what they wore to the port one night (shorts, tshirts, etc). Our 18 yr old wore a suit on formal nights but dressed like the OP's son except he wore jeans on casual nights although sometimes with a jacket. He goes to college and other than his suit, really doesn't wear khakis or slacks. I know I'm opening myself up to ridicule here (you're a tough crowd, lol) but honestly it didn't matter to me. He looked fine and better than many. It was our vacation too.

18-early 20 something's don't dress like most are suggesting. I'm sure he looked great and felt comfortable and if he was happy that is all that matters. Like I said, it just doesn't matter and I'm sorry I asked the question.

That is the point.. did you enjoy your dinner with legs showing or not.. if you did who cares.. if you didn't the maitre'd is around you could have asked to change tables..

Glad you enjoyed!

By the way I called my mother to ask what are slacks.. she said they are PANTS!!! PANTS are long legged clothes.. no description.. cargo.. khaki.. polyester or what not.. they are all considered pants... until Carnival says suit pants for non casual nite then no worries;)

After really thinking about it I should not have asked this question. In 2001 when three of my family members (my father, mother, and brother) were diagnosed with cancer at the same time I made some monumental life changes. I decided then and there the little things in life didn't matter any more and not to be so judgemental against others. "Live Like You Were Dying" became our motto and when all three of them died within months of each other I knew I had to keep the motto alive. It doesn't really matter what others think. Life is too short to worry about what kinds of pants someone wears or if they button their shirt up. Sometimes I just need those three guardian angels to remind me.....

Great for you! Keep that attitude. More of us should have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the point.. did you enjoy your dinner with legs showing or not.. if you did who cares.. if you didn't the maitre'd is around you could have asked to change tables..

Glad you enjoyed!

By the way I called my mother to ask what are slacks.. she said they are PANTS!!! PANTS are long legged clothes.. no description.. cargo.. khaki.. polyester or what not.. they are all considered pants... until Carnival says suit pants for non casual nite then no worries;)

No, what our tablemates wore didn't bother me at all. I wouldn't have had the nerve if it were me but they were oblivious. :) From what I could tell nobody said anything to anyone that didn't dress according to "the rules" even on formal nightsl.

you brought up te cancer card , so im going to bite - My mum has cancer right now, and she just left for a cruise today in the panama, she has no hair from chemo, but she went out and bought a beautiful formal gown - and with a wig , or without, she looks stunning.

My brother , died in his teens , and i spent a year plus of my life stuck in a hospital bed and i now walk with a limp and have noticable scars all over my body so i understand your , live today ect ect , idea, but that doesnt mean, that im going to slack on my apperance , when im on a cruise , I dont wear jeans at all, they stay at home, and out come outfits i would find a hard place to wear back in my small rural town in canada. Its fun to dress up!!!

and, I am a 20 year old Girl, and with what you described as your sons outfit, sounds a little on the dated side, must say , it seems like somthing the kids wore back in grad 10 ish - i have not seen cargos on any males at my university , nice straight non pocket slacks, dress top, or a nice polo, nice leather shoes, and he will look in place.

yes -you are on vac. but you chose to cruise , and you should have known that it is more formal that just going to hawaii for a week.

Sorry Cotton but the dining room on a Carnival ship is by no stretch of the imagination a "formal" dining room even on "formal nights".

To the OP BTW, the Carnival cheerleaders are out and unles your son wears formal slacks, dress shoes, and a buttoned, collered shirt they are going to say that he is not dressed correctly.

He will be fine !

And you are qualified to make this statement how???? For someone that has never stepped foot on a Carnival cruise, you sure seem to know alot about what things are like on the ship :rolleyes:

To the OP... You obviously asked the question to stir things up, rather than to actually get opinions... since any opinion that doesn't make you happy, you get upset about... the fact that you attacked one of the members here and called them a vulgar name just proves that. I guess if that is the example you are setting for your "child", nobody here should be surprised by what he wants to wear to the formal dining room.

you brought up te cancer card , so im going to bite - My mum has cancer right now, and she just left for a cruise today in the panama, she has no hair from chemo, but she went out and bought a beautiful formal gown - and with a wig , or without, she looks stunning.

My brother , died in his teens , and i spent a year plus of my life stuck in a hospital bed and i now walk with a limp and have noticable scars all over my body so i understand your , live today ect ect , idea, but that doesnt mean, that im going to slack on my apperance , when im on a cruise , I dont wear jeans at all, they stay at home, and out come outfits i would find a hard place to wear back in my small rural town in canada. Its fun to dress up!!!

and, I am a 20 year old Girl, and with what you described as your sons outfit, sounds a little on the dated side, must say , it seems like somthing the kids wore back in grad 10 ish - i have not seen cargos on any males at my university , nice straight non pocket slacks, dress top, or a nice polo, nice leather shoes, and he will look in place.

yes -you are on vac. but you chose to cruise , and you should have known that it is more formal that just going to hawaii for a week.

I hope things work out well for you and your family. I addition to what I described about my family I too was born crippled and didn't learn to walk until I was six years old and now walk with a limp and a curved back. We have this in common. The other thing we have in common is you like to dress a certain way as does my son and myself and everyone else. Wear what makes you comfortable and happy and don't worry what others think of you.

Here's wishing health and happiness to you and your family.

This entire thread is pointless and you are a troll.

I agree completely... the OP lost my respect early in this thread with the immature name calling. I'm not so sure we aren't answering the 20 year old... or perhaps 10 year old.

On NON FORMAL nights in the dining room would my 20 year old son be okay to wear kakhi's (the kind with lots of pockets like young guys wear) with a t-shirt and a button up shirt overtop left open? This is way he dresses all the time and I told him I thought he would be fine. No shorts, not just a t-shirt, he will have on a shirt with a collar overtop (unbuttoned and left open). Also, is he okay to wear sandals to the dining room?

He will look fine, I got into a debate with a person here on CC when I first joined about Sandals to dinner, and it was a mess, turns out there are Dress type Sandals, I never knew that and Im from N.Y.C. I just never seen anyone wear them to a nice restaruant in N.Y.C. or San Diego so it took me off guard. After seeing these Dressy Sandals, I said ok, but I myself wouldnt wear them LOL. When I think Sandals I think beach wear.

Your son will be totally ok, and I think that when he see how others will have their buttons buttoned, then maybe he will buttons his. :)

I agree completely... the OP lost my respect early in this thread with the immature name calling. I'm not so sure we aren't answering the 20 year old... or perhaps 10 year old.

I agree the name calling was not called for.. but assuming that the OP is or was her 20 yr or 10 yr old is just about the same not necessary;)

I was talking 20 year "men" in general anywhere you see them! First you say at 20 he is considered a man and now you say "an almost-adult 20 yr. old"...which is it? When is the last time you saw a 20 year old dressed as you have described? Maybe in the early 80's.

OMG I cant believe this, READY FOR THE FLAMES??? Let me tell you something, I learned very earily on while going to church how to dress and how to dress for various occasions. My Mom set those hardcore standards, "we might be poor but you will dress appropriately"!

Don't get me wrong here about me stating that you being his MOM or should teach your kids some proper normal etiquettes. I mean I would never have my kids embarrass me anywhere because of the way they dressed. Who is the boss in your household? At 18 years of age I was in my fathers cheap goodwill suit looking good and working my ass off. So at 18 years of age I was a man.

When was the last time you seen a 20 year old dress like that? I guess it all depends where you come from.

And today thank the Good Lord and my Moms ways that I came out to be a cool successful law abiding person.

Thats all I have to add.

I agree the name calling was not called for.. but assuming that the OP is or was her 20 yr or 10 yr old is just about the same not necessary;)

Calling someone a vulgar name like that, tells me one of two things... the person is immature, or very young. Just my opinion, I'm not saying it was necessary, most people would consider others opinions not necessary at all, LOL.... I don't agree with much of what the OP says, and I won't comment on that for fear of being called a vulgar name... that's not what this board should be about. We should be able to voice our opinions when asked, and not fear being called a name...

I'm sorry if my comment offended anyone... what offends me is that the OP's comment didn't seem to phase most people... as if calling someone a D**K is perfectly okay, what have these boards come to :rolleyes:

OMG I cant believe this, READY FOR THE FLAMES??? Let me tell you something, I learned very earily on while going to church how to dress and how to dress for various occasions. My Mom set those hardcore standards, "we might be poor but you will dress appropriately"!

Don't get me wrong here about me stating that you being his MOM or should teach your kids some proper normal etiquettes. I mean I would never have my kids embarrass me anywhere because of the way they dressed. Who is the boss in your household? At 18 years of age I was in my fathers cheap goodwill suit looking good and working my ass off. So at 18 years of age I was a man.

When was the last time you seen a 20 year old dress like that? I guess it all depends where you come from.

And today thank the Good Lord and my Moms ways that I came out to be a cool successful law abiding person.

Thats all I have to add.

Ok so I apologize for the name calling. I'm sure none of you have done that in your adult life have you? Be honest! I was only responding to a sarcastic answer the person had given me and was trying to make a point.

I have taught my children how to dress appropriately for different occasions. But this is vacation not church, an interview, or a meeting with the President of the United States. Again, I am sorry I asked this question.

"I mean I would never have my kids embarrass me anywhere because of the way they dressed."

My children have never embarrassed me because of the way they have dressed or behaved. I don't appreciate you insinuating that they would or have!

"Who is the boss in your household?"

He is a 20 year old who is his own boss. I merely asked a question that I now regret asking.

"When was the last time you seen a 20 year old dress like that? I guess it all depends where you come from."

Every day when I go out in public or turn on the TV and see all of the young 20 something's who are public stars and figures who wear the clothes I have described and jeans with holes they pay over $100 for. And where they come from is a two parent college educated, $$$$hundred thousand dollar home, with good values and a sense of self respect.

"And today thank the Good Lord and my Moms ways that I came out to be a cool successful law abiding person. "

And I too thank God for the same thing about my children. And again, why would you insinuate otherwise about my children.

Calling someone a vulgar name like that, tells me one of two things... the person is immature, or very young. Just my opinion, I'm not saying it was necessary, most people would consider others opinions not necessary at all, LOL.... I don't agree with much of what the OP says, and I won't comment on that for fear of being called a vulgar name... that's not what this board should be about. We should be able to voice our opinions when asked, and not fear being called a name...

I'm sorry if my comment offended anyone... what offends me is that the OP's comment didn't seem to phase most people... as if calling someone a D**K is perfectly okay, what have these boards come to :rolleyes:

Okay so tell me that in your adult life you have never called someone a name! Please! I was only responding to a sarcastic answer from the poster. I apologize. But there was no need for sarcasim either.

Any man or woman old enough to fight our nation's battles is old enough to know what is appropriate dress and behavior. They are no longer kids. I thought the teaching of social graces was what parents do. Mine sure did. I Bless her for it.

Okay so tell me that in your adult life you have never called someone a name! Please! I was only responding to a sarcastic answer from the poster. I apologize. But there was no need for sarcasim either.

Please, don't put this back on ME. You said it, this isn't about me... it's about a name YOU called someone. It's not ME you should apologize to. There is a huge difference between sarcasm and vulgarity.

Bottom line is that if your "child" is his own boss, and an adult... he doesn't need his mother or father asking strangers what he should wear to dinner, he should know what to wear.

Get married, pay taxes, vote for the President of the United States, and buy a gun but there are some things he can't do. Like drink a beer! How much sense does that make! Five of the most important things he can ever do in life but somethings just have to wait.

Obviously what some deem appropriate does not match others opinions. He can and does make his own decisions. He didn't ask the question I did. Believe me I am truly sorry I asked because it just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Every day when I go out in public or turn on the TV and see all of the young 20 something's who are public stars and figures who wear the clothes I have described and jeans with holes they pay over $100 for. And where they come from is a two parent college educated, $$$$hundred thousand dollar home, with good values and a sense of self respect.

Thank you for your nice honest reply. Today I work with 4700 inmates and when they parole, guess what? they look just like the way your son is dressed, none of them have jobs and a good percentage of them wait till your gone to rob your home or while you inside your home asleep. Do you think these 4700 inmates and the many thousands of parolees have good values and self respect? nope. They go out and commit more crimes and return.

Tell your son to be original, I mean, I never went with the fad, those fads cost awhole lot. And believe me, while I looked like a dork in my dads old suit I was pulling those babes in without bait because I looked so good and not like a beach bum in cargo pants and opened up shirts. You might look like a dork like Bill Gates but could have a nice fat wallet hehe :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me

Fred

Please, don't put this back on ME. You said it, this isn't about me... it's about a name YOU called someone. It's not ME you should apologize to. There is a huge difference between sarcasm and vulgarity.

Bottom line is that if your "child" is his own boss, and an adult... he doesn't need his mother or father asking strangers what he should wear to dinner, he should know what to wear.

I did not put this back on YOU! It was not YOU who I apologized too. It was a general statment with an apology! Chill!

My "child" will always be my "child" not matter how old my "child" is. He may not need me to ask strangers questions but I did and believe me I am sorry I did. He will wear what he wants, when he wants, where he wants, because he is an individual who ultimately makes his own decisions. But, since he does respect my opinions and advice, he will sometimes ask and I was hoping to have an answer to give him along with some other opinions. Now what is wrong with that?

I think if I were young girl in this day and age and I saw a 20 year old guy come into a dining room in dress pants with a shirt tucked in with dress shoes on...I'd probably think what a dork and look the other way.

Thats not true for my 19 & 20 year old daughters , they always point out how nicely the young men look when they are dressed up, and those are the ones they start a conversation with.

Thank you for your nice honest reply. Today I work with 4700 inmates and when they parole, guess what? they look just like the way your son is dressed, none of them have jobs and a good percentage of them wait till your gone to rob your home or while you inside your home asleep. Do you think these 4700 inmates and the many thousands of parolees have good values and self respect? nope. They go out and commit more crimes and return.

Tell your son to be original, I mean, I never went with the fad, those fads cost awhole lot. And believe me, while I looked like a dork in my dads old suit I was pulling those babes in without bait because I looked so good and not like a beach bum in cargo pants and opened up shirts. You might look like a dork like Bill Gates but could have a nice fat wallet hehe :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me

Fred

He has no problem with money or the women. He is very clean and neat and respectful.

Archived