Straight shot to glacier?

Gingee

I read somewhere and I'm not sure where I saw it but it mentions a direct bus trip or shuttle to one of the glaciers. It was pretty cheap. It was either Skagway or Juneau. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

I understand that there are a number of shuttles in Juneau for about $12 - $14 round trip. Here is info on one I am thinking of using

MGT's BLUE "GLACIER EXPRESS"

$12 per person roundtrip

This is our no frills experience offering direct transportation 14 miles from downtown to the Mendenhall Glacier. Transportation run every 30 minutes beginning at 9:00am till 6:30pm on most days. Let our Bright Blue Bus take you out to the "Blue Ice Cube."

In Juneau - you can take a shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier. It used to cost $10 round trip. I think it is now $12 or so.

Here is one company that does it:

http://www.mightygreattrips.com/se_alaska_shore_excursions.htm

It is listed under MGT Glacier Express. There is one or two other companies that do it also. You can just walk up and buy your ticket in Juneau. Buses usually run every 30 minutes or so.

Thanks. We are taking the l:00 whale excursion so this could be something to do in the morning. Hope it isn't too cold to do it. Has anyone gone to this glacier and is it worth it?

Thanks. We are taking the l:00 whale excursion so this could be something to do in the morning. Hope it isn't too cold to do it. Has anyone gone to this glacier and is it worth it?

Who are you doing your whale watchin excursion through?

Mendenhall Glacier and Auke Bay (where whale watching is) is very close to each other. If you could coordinate with who you are whale watching with to pick you up at Mendenhall - you will save a lot of time. I know Orca Enterprises will often pick people up at Mendenhall (if arranged ahead of time).

Here are some pics of Mendenhall:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/alaska2004/PhotoAlbum45.html

While it doesn't compare to seeing Hubbard or the Glaciers at Glacier Bay - IMO, it is worth seeing.

As far as weather - whatever you wear to whale watching will be appropriate.

Mendenhall glacier is no colder than what you would be experiencing from the dock. :) It is a worth a look and as already suggestioned, see if you can get a drop off/pick up direct from the whale watch. Then use the shuttle in the other direction. Frontier and MGT run the shuttles. Booths right on the dock.

Archived