Debit Card Usage in Croatia

I had asked our bank if our debit card, which is Visa-branded, would work for us on our Millie cruise this Summer. They told us the International ATM Book (Now we know there IS such a thing) shows our ATM card will work in Greece, Italy and France, but Croatia is not listed. That doesn't mean it won't be accepted; just that it isn't listed in the book. They also said we would have to check the NY Times to determine what the exchange rate would be when we used our card. That told us all we needed to know about the rate. It will be a good one. My question is, since Croatia isn't using the Euro, if our ATM card does not work there, what should we do? We realize we wouldn't be spending too much there, but obviously would need some local currency. Anyone with any experience at this port?

Mike and Mary

7/8 Venice to Barcelona - Retirement Reward

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;7;8;15;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200

On some criuselines you can get local currancy on the ship,and they will buy it back from you if need be.It will not be the best rate,but if you do need some walking around money you should be fine.Also, for any country not on the Euro and no ATM you could take a few TC's and cash them at a bank.Again, it's the rate,butstill should be ok.

Karen

Ü

Mike an Mary,

Look at the network that is listed on your card (Plus, Cirrus, Star). Plus is the network for VISA. Here is the link to their site which does list Croatia. You might be able to find what you are looking for here.

http://visaatm.infonow.net/bin/findNow?ONE=1&CLIENT_ID=VISA_USA&LOCATOR=VISA_USA&TYPE=PERSONAL

1952 - Excalibur (freighter)

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mike & Mary,

After many years of travel we have adopted the following policy. My wife and I have different ATMs issued by different banks, and this protects us if something goes wrong with one of the cards. We also take travelers checks as an emergency back-up (hardly ever use them) which is a good idea for you given the Croatia question. Make sure you notify your ATM issuing bank of your itineary so they can note this on your computer file (otherwise some banks will cut off your card because of the change in your usage patterns). If your card does not work in a machine, just try an ATM from a different bank. Do not try to reuse your card in a machine that rejects the card, because it might eat your card (usually on the 3rd attempt). And finally, you should have a 4 digit PIN and know that PIN in numbers (letters are not on most European machines).

Hank

Hi:

When were in Croatia (Dubrovnik and Captet two years ago) they gladly accepted Euros. They also assured us they would have accepted personal checks, and probably our first born, but they took Euros. We came home with every travellers check we took because we followed Hank Litner's advice about ATMs and credit cards-the man knows what he is talking about! If you are on a ship only cash in Port what you think you will need that day-ATMs are EVERYWHERE-far more than in this country-then you don't stand the chance of losing everything. We found our credit cards (Visa) were good everywhere. Don't bother taking Discover (doesn't work beyond the borders of the good ol' USA) and don't bother with American Express-a real hassle and few places accept. The advice about calling the issuing bank and telling them you are travelling is VERY VALID whether you are travelling stateside or overseas. I once had my card rejected in Singapore because I had bought jewelry and furniture in Thailand and they thought I was in Sarasota, Fl. They really do watch for certain "red flags".

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

Don't believe Rick about him following my advice. I follow Rick's advice (smile). By the way, your river cruise sounds great! We will want to hear about your experience (for future reference).

Hank

Thanks for all the great advice folks. Our card is a Visa, so assume that's the Plus network, and will check out their web site. We'll have some Euros with us as well, so we should be good to go for the one day there. Under 50 days!!!!!!!!!!

Mike and Mary

7/8 Venice to Barcelona - Retirement Reward

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;7;8;15;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200

Actually, MasterCard is very widely used in Europe. I believe its interchangable with the "Eurocard" system which you will find everywhere. Its pretty much the same as in the USA where Visa and Master Card are accepted anywhere that takes credit cards and Amex is not quite as widely accepted.

Hank

In a word - yes. I've never had a problem in finding ATM's (either Mastercard or Visa) anywhere I've travelled in Europe. They seem to breed on street corners ...

<hr>"How far is it to land?"

"About thirty fathoms, hereabouts."

Terry Pratchett, Jingo.

Just returned. We found that using our Visa (charging) was a much better rate than using the ATM (Mastercard / debit) to get cash and then paying. There's the terrible exchange rate (check www.oanda.com), then the bank fees plus the ATM machine fees. OUCH!

Visa seemed to begin with a better exchange rate and then added 3% fee.

Happy Travels!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=32CD32&cdt=2004;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Forgot to answer the question about travelers checks in dollars or Euros. We take them in dollars because our bank gives Amex free only if in dollars. We also have not had to cash one of our travelers checks in years (ATMs always meet our needs). You do lose whenever you convert currencies, and we would have to convert to Euros at home, and back to dollars when we return with unused checks (you lose each time). I agree its a little more convenient to have the Euro checks,,, but keep in mind that its still easy to change money anywhere in Europe. It is also becoming more common to be asked for ID when cashing travelers checks so take a photocopy of your main passport page, drivers license, or some other picture ID.

Hank

Archived