We're back and they took our sofabed for 7 1/2 hours

AAAMom

Hi all,

Great cruise. Beautiful weather. We were on the Voyager last week. Loved Labadee, unfortunately our son is still in bed with bug bites all over his body. He fell asleep on the beach and became a Haitian Bug Buffet. He is in AGONY!!!

Regarding our sofa. We received a letter earlier in the week indicating that maintenance would be done on sofas, vanity chairs and headboards. The letter sounded like it would be a quick event. Well, it is our last day on board. We are at sea. Our son doesn't feel well and has been going back and forth to the room to lie down and they take our sofa at 1:30p.

I now want to pack. It's 2p, I have 4 suitcases on our bed and no place to sit. Can't fill out the customs forms without kneeling by the vanity to write. Luckily my son felt well enough to go to the movies with his Dad. We are now getting dressed for the evening and still no sofa. Have dinner at 6p return at 7:30p, still no sofa. I call maintenance and guest services and am told sorry sometime after 9pm. I told them do you realize we are trying to pack, we have no place to sit and the sofa is where our son sleeps? Our son calls us at 8:30p, he is in the room trying to lie down. I told him I'm coming down to check on him. He tells me no, maintenance has shown up and there is no room in the room for everyone. I'm now very worried. I keep calling him and finally after 9p the sofa is done and they are gone. Felicia our stateroom attendant was fabulous. AAA kept telling us she would keep checking on him since we couldn't get into the room. We received no apology. Nothing.

I have no problem with the maintenance, however, we were in port 4 days. Why was it not done then? Why wait until the most inconvienient day of the week? After a while it did become funny. We started wondering if it costs $20 for a lost beach towel...how much for a sofa???

This was added to the ship attempting to move us on Monday to another cabin. That's a story in it's self...just frustrating...

Glad to hear you had a great cruise - so sorry to hear your son was attacked by those nasty beach bugs! The same thing happened to me a few years ago when we were on vacation in Curacao - although not quite as bad as your son.

I'm glad to hear that they are doing some maintenance on sofa beds - they are pathetically uncomfortable - did they say exactly what they were doing? I agree with you that RCI's timing was poor as to when they chose to remove your sofa.

In spite of the above, it sounds like you had a good cruise overall :)

Glad to hear you had a great cruise - so sorry to hear your son was attacked by those nasty beach bugs! The same thing happened to me a few years ago when we were on vacation in Curacao - although not quite as bad as your son.

I'm glad to hear that they are doing some maintenance on sofa beds - they are pathetically uncomfortable - did they say exactly what they were doing? I agree with you that RCI's timing was poor as to when they chose to remove your sofa.

In spite of the above, it sounds like you had a good cruise overall :)

Oh boy, I hope they're not too uncomfortable. We'll be cruising on Mariner in June with our two daughters who will be sharing the sofabed in our cabin. Yikes!:eek:

Oh boy, I hope they're not too uncomfortable. We'll be cruising on Mariner in June with our two daughters who will be sharing the sofabed in our cabin. Yikes!:eek:

Ask for the egg crate. My son said it made all the difference in the world. Besides he was so tired by the time he went to bed (Early AM) that I don't really think it mattered ;)

I was spared any bug problems on the beaches of Labadee. My problem was snorkeling for 3 hours with no shirt or sunscreen and nice, white, Irish skin. I didn't feel it when I got out of the water and laid on a lounge chair face down to dry off, and fell asleep for another hour and a half.

I couldn't see it...but by the horrified faces of everyone who did, I imagine my back looked much like a marshmellow placed too close to the campfire. It felt like that too! The last 3 days of that cruise were pretty hellish...so I can sympathize with your son. If they tried to take my couch away too...I'd probably fight them over it.

Glad you had a good cruise despite your problems!

Hi all,

This was added to the ship attempting to move us on Monday to another cabin. That's a story in it's self...just frustrating...

Perhaps they knew it would take a long time to fix it and were doing you a favor by making that an option :confused:

###

I imagine that RCCL thought that the last day would be the most convenient day in that you were not interrupted all week. Maintenance needs to be done sometime!

So sorry about your son and being inconvenienced. How old is your son?

Perhaps they knew it would take a long time to fix it and were doing you a favor by making that an option :confused:

###

PhoenixCruiser,

We were told they wanted to move us for plumbing and air conditioning maintenance. Also, on Sunday they had told us they were going to clean our couch while we were in port on Tuesday.

I totally understand maintenance is needed, however, it would be helpful when notifying guests the approximate length of time. I never would imagine that it would take close to 8 hours.

Iamthesea,

Our son is 12. He had to stay home from school on Monday because the itching was so bad. It killed me to watch him in such agony.

I have told our travel agent to advise his clients if they are going to Labadee to use bug spray.

Gosh! That's terrible! A trip to his physician might be in order if he hasn't already been. :(

Iamthesea,

Thanks. He was at the dr Sunday am and a call later to the dr for stronger meds. He's doing well and went to school yesterday. The bumps are less red and getting less itchy.

PhoenixCruiser,

We were told they wanted to move us for plumbing and air conditioning maintenance. Also, on Sunday they had told us they were going to clean our couch while we were in port on Tuesday.

I totally understand maintenance is needed, however, it would be helpful when notifying guests the approximate length of time. I never would imagine that it would take close to 8 hours.

Iamthesea,

Our son is 12. He had to stay home from school on Monday because the itching was so bad. It killed me to watch him in such agony.

I have told our travel agent to advise his clients if they are going to Labadee to use bug spray.

The bugs are not only in Labadee...you are visiting the Caribbean. Always take bug spray with you. Virginia Beach has sand fleas that can drive you crazy. Always be prepared at beaches..take precautions and this won't happen.

Archived