help with shipboard cards......!

Tony UK

We will be cruising with our adult daughter who has some learning disabilities - her first cruise. We want her to have her own card to have some independence, but I know what she can be like if she hits the shops! Can we arrage for her to have a limit, or a purchase limit on her card? Has anyone done this, if so how did you arrange it?

Thanks for any help

Angie

There are probably other ways to do this, but one way is to set up her account using cash. Put the amount you feel is appropriate into her account and when she reaches the limit they won't let her buy any more. You can recharge the account with more cash as needed.

Happy cruising!

Hi Angie,

We just returned home (this morning at 1:00 a.m.) from the Millenium. We cruised with 3 children. (11, 15, and 17) We "deactivated" the room cards of the boys (11, and 15) beacause they could use the cards to fund the onboard arcade. We had to go to the guest relations desk after we boarded. It took them less than a minute to do this. They said they can also fix the cards so that if they tried to get off the boat the cards were "red flagged" so they could not leave. We did not do this. We had no worry about them leaving. They were having tooooooo much fun. They didn't want to explore outside the boat.

I hope this has helped.

Robin

Thanks

Margie and Robin,

I just knew there had to be a way to do this and you have given me a couple of options. I like the idea of the red-flag too - I wonder if they can do it for husbands heading for the golf course.....!

Your daughter has to have her own card since the card serves three purposes, purchases on board, room key and most important boarding pass. When my kids were smaller, I was able to have them adjust the cards so they could make minor purchases such as sodas. However, my kids were minors. I would imagine you will be having some control over her card if you are backing it with your credit card, the fact that she is an adult presents a whole different set of circumstances. I know the frustration as I have an adult child with learning disabilities. Good luck.

Archived