Anyone know how to shrink avatar?

truffles,

I "had" the same dolphin and have been trying to figure it out, too. I don't even know how to shrink any other avatar-I'm not very computer literate. I know just enough to get by/get me in trouble!;) If you find out how to fix "our" dolphin, please let me know.

Thanks, bbqman, we have been trying a few things but nothing has worked yet! I have a feeling it is going to take me a looooooooooong time to figure out the "new" way to do things. I've spent way too much time today already!

truffles,
As per the instructions of others on this board, I saved the image to my computer. I then went to "paint" under accessories and opened it there. I edited the size there and resaved it to my computer. Then I went to "User CP" on this board and opened the edit avatar option. I picked "custom" avatar and browsed for it from my computer and Voila! there it is. Hope this will help you, too. Only problem is it isn't animated, so if anyone can tell me how to keep it animated I would REALLY appreciate it.

If you have Windows XP you can send your image to "my pictures", right click on the image, it will ask about resizing the picture, click advanced and it will allow you to customize the pixel size. Avatars still don't seem to be "on".

Goodness, that was terrible...took about an hour after opening up a paint program for a 60 day trial....couldn't figure out how to save the reduced size so reduced it several times before solving THAT problem...and it is not moving????
Im leaving for a coco loco!

I don't "know" this as a fact, but I think the TYPE of file you WERE using was a GIF file (which allows animation). The animation in a GIF has MULTIPLE pictures or images, put together to "make it move".

Once you edit (resize) your previous Avitar in a photo editor, it changes to a SINGLE picture or image, which kills the animation.

Hope that helps with understanding the problem with a non-moving Avitar. Unfortunately, I will have to do more research to see if I can find the Solution to the problem. Maybe someone else can add their 2-cents worth and help with the solution.

rail

OK....in a quicke search of Google, I found the following editor which works "online" and I didn't have to download or buy anything. The address is:

[url]http://www.gifworks.com[/url]

If you have your original Avatar (which is mostly likely a .GIF file) saved on your computer, go to the above site.

1) At the top of the page, Click on FILE, then FILE OPEN.

2) Under Method 2, Click on BROWSE (it will open a window for you to seach your computer), then locate the file on your computer, click on the file name, and then click OPEN. When the window closes, click on UPLOAD. Your Image should appear in the window.

3) At the top of the page, Click on (mouseover) EDIT then RESIZE/CROP, then RESIZE. A box will open with the Size "Width" and "Height"

4) Choose the Larger of the two numbers and change it to 80, then click OK. (you will have to manually close the box after clicking ok).

5) The Resized image should appear back on the main page, in its new size.

6) At the top of the page, Click on FILE, then FILE SAVE. A new page will open with two options. Your resized image should be at the bottom of the page. RIGHT CLICK on the image and select SAVE PICTURE AS. A new window will open for you to save your file. (I recommend using a new name and NOT overwriting your original file).

7) NOW...back to the Message Boards, Click on USER CP and then select EDIT AVATAR. Go to Upload an Avatar From Your Computer, and click BROWSE. Select the resized file you just saved, and click OPEN.

8) Click on the Save Changes at the bottom.

HOPEFULLY, this will work. If NOT....I promise to give you double your money back!! :-)

rail

Thank you! Thank You! I have now added gifworks to my favorites!:D

Truffles...the first time I followed the instructions and used "80" for the dimensions but it said it was too big. I went back and did it over again using "60" as the dimension numbers and VOILA!:D I know you will post again with a very playful dolphin next to your name!!:)

I had a lot of trouble trying to get back the original and resize it:(
Turns out that I just couldnt do it with Netscape...had to use Internet Explorer. I have been having a lot of trouble with Netscape recently and our ISP does not support Netscape. :mad: I am definitely getting a workout with the new boards!

Thanks arail.

Archived