End of the QE2? September 27th 2008?

guernseyguy

Buried at the bottom of the Lloyds classification list of ailments is:

A SEWAGE SYSTEM IN ACCORDANCE WITH REG.9 OF REVISED ANNEX IV TO BE IN PLACE BY 27TH SEPTEMBER 2008.

I've tried to find out if this is major work, but no one seems to know.....Perhaps its trivial. On the other hand, it could be the 'one investment too many' for an express liner reaching the end of an extraordinarily long working life. While the hull may be sound its things like tank tops (exposed to all sorts of nasty stuff) - that we can see are in need of attention - and this that do in ships. It will be interesting to see if this gets addressed in the Bremerhaven refit - certainly no immediate need to, and Cunard would probably be wise to keep options open.....time will tell.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Spotted this as well. Can't find the specifics of "Reg.9" but reading the following I wouldn't be surprised if she already complies.

The 2004 (April) Amendments

Adoption: 1 April 2004

Entry into force: 1 August 2005

The revised Annex will apply to new ships engaged in international voyages, of 400 gross tonnage and above or which are certified to carry more than 15 persons. Existing ships will be required to comply with the provisions of the revised Annex IV five years after the date of its entry into force. The Annex requires ships to be equipped with either a sewage treatment plant or a sewage comminuting and disinfecting system or a sewage holding tank.

The discharge of sewage into the sea will be prohibited, except when the ship has in operation an approved sewage treatment plant or is discharging comminuted and disinfected sewage using an approved system at a distance of more than three nautical miles from the nearest land; or is discharging sewage which is not comminuted or disinfected at a distance of more than 12 nautical miles from the nearest land.

Regards, Colin.

Buried at the bottom of the Lloyds classification list of ailments is:

A SEWAGE SYSTEM IN ACCORDANCE WITH REG.9 OF REVISED ANNEX IV TO BE IN PLACE BY 27TH SEPTEMBER 2008.

While the hull may be sound its things like tank tops (exposed to all sorts of nasty stuff) -Peter

You know, Peter, I have been known to wear tank tops. I resent that you think that makes them "exposed to all sorts of nasty stuff!" <G> (But I never wear them on formal nights!)

I realize the QE2 is an older ship built before today's heightened concerns about pollution and even stuff dumped way out at sea, and maybe I'm naive, but I cannot imagine that there is a ship at sea today, commercially, which is dumping raw sewage ANYwhere! (at least legally) As far as tank tops, I am not certain what types of tanks these refer to, although I can figure some might be Fresh Water (FW) and maybe even grey water tanks (I.E. Shower run-off, but not sewage) but the vintage of the ship would certainly indicate these were tanks made of metal, I assume. Today there are much lighter-weight (costing less in terms of added tonnage) plastics and vinyls and such that could easily be retrofitted in (I would think) and be impervious to rot and rust. Many inground storage tanks in the U.S. (heating oil, gasoline) are being mandated for dig-up and replacement, making the cost and availability of lined tanks more prevalent hence, presumably less costly. And of course, stainless steel tanks, while more expensive are far superior to many older styles of holding tanks of all sorts. What sort of scared me a bit more were so many references to holes cracks and places (even 1.5 cm) where some part of a structure had pulled away from some other piece. I realize that there is a lot of twisting and turning and banging of a ship at sea. But it does give one pause to think! And I don't think I want to book cabin 5035 or whichever one it mentioned! <LOL> I don't know enough about ship structure to totally undertstand what and where these pieces are. However, I have been involved in the maintenance of an airplane and the rigid standards for cracks and holes and tolerances.

I was somewhat amused to see that this information was publicly available! One would have thought it would be protected under some sort of "trade secrets" or something (Can't let the rivals know where the holes in our holding tanks are! The might try to get better holes!)

Karie,

who surely hopes that these are "easy" fixes (relatively speaking) and not the canTANKerous cracks signalling the end of an era and a grand dame

I don't understand something. Are we talking about QE2 retiring sometime soon?

We don't know. There are a number of factors that need to be borne in mind.

• The QE2 is VERY old by express liner standards - most don't make it past their mid-20s - the Queen Mary got to 31, the Queen Elizabeth to 28 - the QE2 is 37. She's also steamed a lot further than any other ship in history. Gone are the days of 2 or 3 days in port between sailings - today is 12 hour turnarounds.
  • Cunard have stated that they expect her to meet the SOLAS regulations that come into effect in 2010 - although some are sceptical.
  • She's still profitable - Micky Arison was singing her praises at the last Carnival shareholders meeting - 'As long as people are happy to sail on her we will continue to run her' or words to that effect.
  • As with any ship that ages internal systems wear out, steel thins and needs to be replaced. The list on the Lloyds classification (link above) illustrate some of the problems - us non-experts really have no way of gauging the seriousness or triviality of such things.
  • Queen Victoria arrives in late 2007 - can Cunard sustain a 3 ship fleet?

So, as I said, we don't know. But if you were thinking of travelling on her, I'd do it sooner, as there may not be a (much) later.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that post-refit the long list of bumps, scratches, scrapes and leaky plates has all disappeared, except for the sewage system (and also anti-fouling, which is surprising.....):

http://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=6725418

Sea-sea, sorry, missed your question - the QM2 is here:

http://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=9241061

Peter

Well, you know I would not be spreading this 'good' news unless I thought it reliable!!!! We had a hotel guest this weekend who is a marine architect working on maintenance and stability projects on cruiseships (Celebrity, Princess and Cunard). In a very quick 'cross examination' as he was leaving, he was drawn on the subject of QE2, which he has worked on recently. He mentioned the large expenditure spent in the last drydocking and when drawn on her future after 2010, he commented that the intention was to ... "keep her going for about 10 more years, as long as they could keep filling her up, before beaching her in India or Pakistan" !!!! He thought that not all of the SOLAS 2010 requirements applied to her due to the date of her construction and category. Interestingly he stated that the professional 'behind the scenes' opinion of the ship was - "lovely looking ship ..... pity about the poor passenger facilities"!!!

So it looks like, ... unless something bursts that can't be fixed economically or that the market moves past a 40+ year old cruise experience (or, given the mean pax age of some of those world cruisers - dies out), ..... she will probably be around until 2015/2016.

she will probably be around until 2015/2016.

Knowing your opinion about the QE2 I like to thank you even more for sharing this news, which, if true, I regard indeed as very good.

As long as Cunard keeps up the high standard e.g. of service, dress code and food quality it will be a pleasure to sail this special ship.

Knowing your opinion about the QE2 I like to thank you even more for sharing this news, which, if true, I regard indeed as very good.

As long as Cunard keeps up the high standard e.g. of service, dress code and food quality it will be a pleasure to sail this special ship.

You are welcome Carlmm - at least you know I wouldn't be making it up!!!!

Thanks Ken. Brilliant news. I may get my world cruise when I retire yet if she's going to be around that long!

Anteeta ...... Wouldn't bank on 10 more world cruises!!! Not with younger sisters waiting in the wings.

Ken

Archived