May 23 crossing -- received docs, but no itinerary re: formal nights?

cunardfirsttimer

:confused: Hi all...this board has been so helpful in my trip planning. We are really looking forward to our first cruise, ahem, crossing...but it IS our first cruise, too. At any rate, I was hoping that when I received my travel documents (arrived yesterday) that Cunard would outline what evenings would be formal (I've heard there are 2 on Transatlantic crossings). Unfortunately, there is no detail at all. We are planning to try to dine at Todd English one night, and I thought I might try to make that reservation in advance...how does one do that if one doesn't know what other activities are going on that shouldn't be missed? Any suggestions or insights would be most appreciated.

Oh, and we were delighted to find that we've been upgraded from B2 to A1....though I know from reading the posts on this board that an in-hull balcony is more desired for Transatlantic crossings....oh well....I think we'll still thoroughly enjoy ourselves.

Thanks, in advance.....28 days and counting!!!

Most likely you will have three formal nights on your crossing, not two.

In the brochure they say that the first and last nights are casual; there are three formal nights and one informal night. (Where has this idea of casual come from? Most people seem to wear what they would on an informal night).

Hi Firsttimer,

Formal nights will most probably be 2nd. night (wecome party for Grill Passengers) 3rd. night (welcome party for Britannia) and 5th. night (farewell night). 1st and 6th night are casual and 4th night is usually informal (although on our crossing it was listed as optional-formal/informal).

I think where some of the confusion about 2 formal nights is that the documents list 2 "Formal Events", maybe, Black & White Ball and Ascot Ball and some people, including Cunard reps, think this means that there are only two formal nights.

Haven't eaten in Todd English so can't help there. Or had a hull or standard balcony.

Regards, Colin.

Yes. 3 formal nights. And Cunard reps really don't know.

We opted for 2 formal nights. DH wore a suit for the 3rd and wasn't the least bit out of place. Some threads on here worried me about the dress code. However, while most dressed better for dinner than on other cruises (not cowboy boots and Bear's jackets for formal nights), one need not feel out of place with a dressy pair of slacks and a sparkly sweater.

Oh, BTW, jeans were certainly worn during the day. Even Tshirts. Be comfortable and you'll be fine.

On our recent crossing we experienced what others mentioned. 1&6 were casual. 2&3 and 5 were formal and night 4 was informal. informal by the way means suit and tie, but only required in dining room.

Suits were common in main diring room on formal night, along with tuxes

Great cruise by the way!

On Queen Mary 2, these days (2 years in), on a TA, what percentage of guys dress in tux or suit on the informal night? (ie. how many wear formal on an informal night?). My experiences with Cunard (from years back) are no longer valid (if could remember them!) and before I cross later in 2006, I would like to know what to expect. If any do "dress" for dinner on that night I wonder if it's because they like to dress for dinner or because they don't read the dress code for that night. I note that even on the last night (casual) it still says "dress codes will be enforced..." , in the Daily Programme, would they turn someone away if they were in a tux? (not that I've any intention of doing so!). Just curious.

Pepper.

On our April 15 crossing, probably 80% of the men in the dining room wore a tux. Much higher percentage than other cruises. On the informal, they wore suits and ties, or sport jackets and ties. Again, more dressed for informal nights than on other cruise lines.

I also noticed that after dinner (late) and perhaps a show, people were still dressed. Even at the late buffet in the King's Court, formal was still being worn at 1 am. Doesn't seem people run and change or even wear really casual clothes even if they don't eat in the dining room.

Years ago, my wife used to worry about the formal nights. My wife would take a different outfit for each formal night and I would get my tux cleaned and packed.

These days, my wife takes one and only one formal outfit and I take a dark blue business suit -- on a cruise, you see people that you will never, ever see again and, even if they remember you, they probably will not remember what you were wearing (assuming you are prefectly presentable) or the fact that you wore the same thing for two formal nights!!

We're taking the west bound cruise on the QM2 and we'll probably skip the capitain's reception (been there, done that, many times) -- and we find the idea of an Ascot Ball at sea most pretentious.

We'll just relax, have a pleasant cruise (which is what it is all about anyway) and not feel obligated to show up for every formal night -- we may even order room service on one of the formal nights and do dinner on our balcony.

But, of course, I do understand that some people care very much about these formal nights and want to do them all!! If so, by all means, dress up and enjoy them.

Archived