mariner pins

jini

Received our docs for our Rottedam cruise in May and was surprised to find Mariner pins and luggage tags for both my wife and I.

We are both first-time cruisers.

Have no idea what the pins represent.

Any replies appreciated.

I belive the intention of the pins is so that you can be recognized at the airport/transfer bus (if they apply to your travel plans) and at the pier.

As part of the "meet and greet" staff, it definitely is helpful in locating arriving passengers, and assisting them with their luggage and ground transportation.

When meeting other cruise lines we generally look for colorful cruise line luggage tags as a clue.

Admittedly, the Mariner pins won't every be confused with a Tiffany's purchase.

David

Normally, Mariner theme items (buttons and luggage tags) are not provided to first-timers with Holland America. Lately, however, there seem to be a number of exceptions noted on this board. My MIL, who will be a first-timer Saturday, did not receive Mariner items. Maybe they have the elusive upgrade fairy stuffing the document wallets these days! ;)

We did not get the pins on our first cruise on the Zaandam in 2003. We were a little disappointed in there appearance, but I do agree that they are useful as a recognization tool for the Hal agents.

I received our docs last week and we have both the pins and the luggage tags. My TA says for us to pin onto our shirt right before we land so HAL staff we be able to locate us. In the past we searched for the cruise staff so this will be a welcome change.

Missygirl:)

I got a Mariner pin with our cruise documents and this is my first time sailing with HAL. My cousin, another first-timer did not. I got a Mariner # when I first called HAL for information and get all Mariner mailings with both my father's & my name & #. I figured it might have been assigned because of the same address and last name, maybe...??... or maybe because I've sailed on Carnival twice. Dunno :confused:

Whatever. We'll both officially be Mariners soon anyway. The pin goes on May 6th when we leave the Seattle Fairmont hotel for the pier!

Jane

Archived