Is a table for two an option?

rnrplace, this might sound like a dumb question (but please forgive me since Sept. 2 will be my first cruise)... so here it goes.

You said you requested a table for two and in your cruise docs, you saw it was granted? From reading all the posts here, I was under the impression that table assignments weren't known until boarding?

Immediately after booking my cruise, I called RCI and asked them to put in my request for a table for two... I asked what my chances were and the person I spoke to told me obviously they can't guarantee anything, but since I had booked an Owner's Suite, I'd have a better chance. Mind you, I just booked my Sept. 2 cruise about 2 weeks ago... so it's not like I have that much lead time on this.

While I'm looking forward to my first cruise (going all out in an OS), the dining situation has me quite concerned. My partner and I enjoy talking to people and making new friends, but when it comes to dinner... we're very private people and it tends to be when we discuss the more important and private things... not to mention relax. We're already planning on one night each at Portofino's and Chops, but I'd hate to have to dine between those two every night if we got assigned to a 10 top or something like that.

Actually, I guess my bigger concern should be the hurricanes and not seating arrangements! (but then again, I live in Miami so if my cruise gets cancelled or delayed, I'm already here). :)

ParrotTops: It's terrific that you've gotten your requests, but it's not common. There are just too many pax requesting the 2's and not enough to go around, even for couples celebrating something special. It's unusual, but wonderful, that you've been so lucky.

pmanchuk: We've never had nor seen nor heard of final table assignment being on the cruise docs. It would have to list an actual table number, and I don't ever recall anyone having that on their cruise docs. It might say that it's been requested, but it won't be a final assignment.

rnrplace: What exactly does it say on your docs? Unless there is a table number listed, it's just a confirmation that you made the request and that they have your request in the system. (I hope you get it.)

beachchick

Hint: If it "happens" to be an anniversary (they won't ask you what kind of anniversary--maybe of your first date, first fight, first time you met you mother-in-law) you have a good chance of getting a table for 2...

I hope you are right. We booked our May 14th cruise on the Mariner about a year in advance and requested a table for two since we are celebrating our 10 year anniversary. We don't mind sitting with others, but on this occasion, it is really important for us to be alone. I hope RCL will accommodate. We plan to visit the dining room to check on it as soon as we board.

We requested a tbl for 2 (Radiance, May 21 Pacific Coastal) and recieved our docs this week and were pleased to see it was granted! So if available you can get it :p

Where did you see it was granted on your cruise docs. All the cruise docs I've ever received have only listed the 1st or 2nd seating, but never list a table number or type??:confused:

A caveat: You can't "always" get moved to that sized table. There aren't that many, they are fairly popular, and RCI will not guarantee a specific seating (except to RS, maybe other high level suites, and probably C&A Diamond+ pax). If you make a request and discover on boarding that you don't have what you requested, you can request (again, a request) a change. Many times it can be accomodated; sometimes not. (We've been on the "receiving" end of a suite pax wanting the perfect table that DH and I had been assigned. We were bumped into the worst table in the history of cruising, or at least our cruising. I insisted on a change to something decent, but it was a reminder that when I request a change, it might mean moving someone else...and I try to remember that it's not "all about me.")

beachchick

Our traveling companions cancelled at the last minute in January and we asked our TA to try to get us a table for two rather than the table for four that we had requested when we booked. I think we had about three weeks notice. We were very pleasantly surprised when we checked our table that we did, in fact, have a table for two. It was a cool location -- right at the top of the stairway in the dining room. I got to see all the comings and goings! We had a less-than-perfect waiter, however. That was really unusual for RCI.

I thanked the TA for arranging the change and she said it probably had to do with our C&A status and the fact that we book suites (never higher than a GS, however.)

--Judy

We've had a table for two on all our cruises for the last 10 years. It's a big priority for us.

Also, we've always had to go see the maitre d' on the first day of each cruise, because (per my TA) RCCL doesn't have the category in their booking procedure. It's a special request. Celebrity has table for two as a choice, but RCCL only has "small", which is a table for four.

So, we were Platinum when we started requesting tables for two, and we have always gone to the dining room as soon as we get on board ship, then met at the appropriate time (usually 1 PM) with the maitre d' and asked for our table for two.

I was told by one maitre d' that they "make" these, if necessary. They tuck them into spots all around the dining room, so the tables that are already set up aren't just what's available.

Our favorite is upper level right next to the railing, but we really don't care. We were right at the bottom of the staircase one cruise. Tucked off to the side: very private.

Archived