Baltimore to Bermuda concern

My dh and I will be on the Grandeur from Baltimore to Bermuda in June. I have heard from several people that it's rough sailing and almost everyone gets seasick on this route. This is my third cruise. We had a storm on my first cruise and I got seasick during the storm. To prevent a reoccurrence of seasickness on my seond cruise, I was so hopped up on dramamine from the time I boarded the ship until the cruise ended that I felt a little loopy most of the cruise. We had calm seas but I didn't want to take any chances. Now I'm really worried about this upcoming cruise because of what my friends have told me. Anyone on this board have any experience with how rough the trip from Baltimore to Bermuda is? Anyone found anything more effective than dramamine or bonine?

Sea bands work wonders. I have never been on a cruise. I am going on my first 10/21/07 on Norwegian from NY to Bermuda. However, I went deep sea fishing many times and sea bands always kept me from getting sick.

I am planning on doing a Caribbean cruise on RCL with just me and husband. So I am watching both boards.

You never know how the ocean is going to be so its hard to say if you will get sick. Ive had rough seas and seas of glass going to Bermuda.

Im prone to seasickness and Ive had success using the relief band.

I got a new one really cheap on ebay a few months ago.

We've found Bonine effective without the side effects of Dramamine, but I recently heard that ginger pills are good [there's a thread somewhere about it] so we're going to try them if we have rough seas. On the show Myth Busters they found ginger to be the most effective non-pharmaceutical preventative that they tried. We're hoping it will be smooth sailing, but you never know.

We took the Empress of the seas from NY to Bermuda a couple years ago and the first 24 and the last 24 hours were tough. Once you get past the gulf stream things smooth out and there are no problems. We went in October and I would expect June would be better.

I just used ginger on my recent cruise, where we had 2 semi-rough evenings. You need to take it twice a day as a preventitive (so it is in your system when needed). I used crystalized ginger pieces, chewed one twice a dy. My husband hated the stuff so would not use it and got queasy. I just bought ginger capsules at Wal-mart. I will be sending them with my husband when he travels next month to Boston with our 6th grader for a whale watch trip.

My MIL used the sea bands and they worked for her.

Hi

I've sailed out of NJ/NY/MD a few times and never had a problem with rough water. The months we cruised from those ports were mid-July and late September.

To be on the safe side... I take ginger which has helped me on other cruises with rough weather. I start taking them two days prior to the cruise so my system gets used to it. You take it once a day (two capsules) and you should be ok.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Go for the wrist seabands. Me and DH were on VOS this month and he was a a real....... due to being seasick.....I went down to the gift shop and bought a set of the wristbands.....within minutes..... A NEW MAN....stayed that way the rest of the cruise...... No nasty side effects...

We started taking ginger capsules 2 days before leaving and we never had a problem... even though we had extremely rough seas out of Miami in February (Decks closed, pools drained, ports cancelled). We also brought some crystallized ginger and just chewed on a small piece right before the show since it is the front of the ship that was bouncing the most. We were one of the few people to make it to dinner! I'll swear by ginger. Also, bonine is far superior to dramamine...it is chewable which helps too.

Just take your seasickness med of choice, and be prepared. We've sailed in some VERY rough seas over the years, and only been seasick once. Stubborn DH refused to get up and get a shot, which is what they used to do waaaaaay back then. I won't tell you the rest of the story, but after a big breakfast, it wasn't a pretty sight.

Anyway, we just take our bonine the day before ANY cruise, get it in our system, and then go from there. No rough seas: no more bonine. Rough seas: more bonine. Never have a problem.

Oh, and if you take the "one pill a day" bonine or whatever, we recommend cutting the pill in half and taking half every 12 hours. Seems to work better for us.

Enjoy Bermuda. I'm trying to talk my Sis, who lives near Baltimore, into going on this cruise.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I will stock up on Bonine and go to the health store to pick up some ginger capsules. I'm even more concerned now that I have my room assignment (Deck two-2128, all the way in the back of the ship across from the stewards' supply closets). I'm guessing that I'll feel the motion quite a bit being in the back of the ship. I'm also packing ear plugs to try to sleep through the room stewards noise and whatever ship mechanics our cabin is over (props?). I'm really looking forward to enjoying this cruise, tinged with trepidation. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that there isn't a storm while I'm at sea!! Again, thanks for all the words of wisdom.

Archived