South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

i have done atkins for a long time and lost around 50#, but i have been off for about a year and gained a little back. i just can't seem to get back on track and was wondering about the southbeach diet. has anyone out there been on atkins and switched to southbeach? is it better? we are cruising in june and i would like to lose some of my weight first! thanks in advance for any info.

Bridesmaid- I've done both and lost weight on both (30 pounds all together.) I really don't see too much difference after phase 1. SB allows beans, tofu and low fat cheeses and dairy products on phase 1. It's great for those of us who want to low carb but have meat free days. also SB stresses lower and better fats like olive oil or turkey bacon. I do find however, that I need a bit more fat to really get the weightloss started and keep the cravings at a distance. I kind of follow South Atkins I guess.

I got off track this summer and have had a horrible time getting back started. I'm starting phase 1 again and hoping to lose 8-10 by Thanksgiving and another 8 by Christmas.

Tami

The Ricotta meatloaf is so easy....I used a pound or so of very lean ground beef...turkey can also be used.....1/4 c low fat ricotta, 1 chicken bullion cube, 2 tbls of fat free cream cheese, 1/4 cup onion, 1tbls sugar free ketchup, varies spices to taste, 1 egg, 1/2 cup uncle sam cereal. bake in a loaf pan....350 for an hour....
I am so excited!.....I have my shirt tucked in my jeans today.....I havent tucked my shirt in for at least two years.....YIPPEE

It feels great doesn't it Chris? :D What is Uncle Sam cereal. One of my frustrations is that we don't have all the products I read about here. Or if we have them, they're called something different. And sugar-free ketchup? I'll have to look for that one, but it's going to be real hard to give up my Heinz 57. :o

Bridesmaid, I have been on both too. I think a lot of us have. And I too am now on the Atkins Beach Diet. Well I have to be honest here. I've been really bad lately and am having a hard time getting back with the program.

Beth

Chris - Congratulations!:p It is so fun to tuck in your shirt. Even though I have been down 30 pounds for a few weeks, I just had someone mention that they could see the weight lose when I was wearing a tight shirt. I have been wearing baggy clothes for so long that people couldn't tell that I had lost weight. I haven't been tucking in my shirt with my blue jeans, because my blue jeans are so large on me that I think it looks tacky. But I am not willing to go buy new clothes yet. That will happen when I have lost 30 more pounds.

Tami - You are doing the exact same thing as me. I want to lose 10 pounds by Thanksgiving and another 10 by Christmas. That will put me within 10 pounds of my initial goal. Then I will decide if I need to go slimmer. I can't decide if I should be at 150 or 140. The 'chart' says 145, but I am big boned so I am not sure what to do.

Headed to go vote. Have a good day.

Beth- When you find sugar free ketchup (check organic groceries) try adding a dash of worchestershire sauce to it. It gives a bit more kick like Heinz 57. Also, it seems like I saw an ad for low carb H57 somewhere but Ive been inhaling alot of concrete dust lately so I could be wrong. I'm still on the prowl for brown splenda.

Juli- I think when you get to 145 or 150 you need to take a look and see how you feel about it at that point. live with that for a little while and see if it's easily maintained or not. If you have to struggle every day then 140 probably is not something that you can maintain without driving yourself crazy. I don't buy into all those charts of ideal weight too much anyway. They say my husband should weigh 150-170. Seriously, if he weighed 170 he'd be all scrawny. According to "them" he's 40 pounds over weight but he really don't have very much body fat at all. I OTOH need to get back on the elliptical trainer every day like last spring.

Tami

Tami, I totally agree with what you said about the weight chart. The weight chart says that at 5'5" I should weigh between 115 and 130-something. My doctor told me that my ideal weight was 138-150. He figured it by taking my age and body type into account. Also, DH is 5'11" and is "suppose" to weigh about 170. If he weighed 170, he'd look like a scarecrow. I'm shooting to lose down to 135 before my May cruise just so I can gain some weight and not worry about it. I want to maintain at 140. After I had my son, I lost down to 135 and was thin (for me). I've always been muscular so I've always weighed more that I appear. People now can't believe I weigh as much as I do.

Beth, the brown sugar substitute is Sugar Twin. I have some in my pantry.

Oh bummer. I'm really going to try to go off nutrasweet for a while after Christmas and see if it helps my headaches. I don't think it will because I've had them since I was a kid but it's worth a shot.

Ok, today I'm back on the right track and heading down again. However, today is ice skating and I always seem to maintain or gain the next day. I'm sticking to phase one though so hopefully things will balance out in the long run.

Tami

I'm still having a lot of trouble getting back in the groove. That's my problem ~ too many grooves. :rolleyes: So many things have been happening to keep me from getting back into my regular routine. Last night I crunched the front end of my new car. My leg went numb and slipped off the brake and onto the gas. Then I hit the concrete post in the parking garage. :mad: So tonight I'll take it into the dealership and find out the damages. Probably around $2K. Oh well ~ it's only money. :p

Beth

Not sure how, but that last post, posted before I was ready for it to. Oh well...

Tami - I too get awful headaches. I don't think mine is from sugar substitue, I use Splenda. We are beginning to think that it has a lot to do with hormones. I seem to always get a migraine at the end of TOM. I started one yesterday, but was able to stop it rather quickly with some vicodin. I was so glad that it was stopped because I was able to enjoy last evening.

Off to get a glass of water and to behave today.

Thanks for your concern Juli. I'm fine. It's the front end of my car that could use some help. The damage doesn't look all that bad but we'll see what the bodyshop says. It's surprizing how a little "rumple" can cost a fortune to fix. I like that word rumple. It sounds so inconsequential. In reality, it's a honk'n big dent. :D

Beth

Beth, I'm glad to hear your okay from the "crunch." I hope your back didn't cause your leg to go numb....pinching a nerve.

Tami, a friend of mine swears that NutriSweet is horrible for you. I use Splenda and I've never had any problems. Good luck getting rid of those headaches. I get migraines and they are no fun. Mine are from allergies though.

Juli, just pick yourself back up and get back on the program. :D You know how much I've struggled with it lately.

So sorry about you and your car.

Let the car have the dent but not you. You said your alright..hope no later
aches and pains. Take it easy.

Have your back checked if your leg went numb. (know you have problems)
We care about you..want you "feeling good"!

Thanks guys! :) Got the estimate - $1300, no so bad. Yes it was my back that caused my leg to go numb. It's had a loss of sensation ever since the surgery but this was different. Completely dead. I already had an appointment with my surgeon for next week. But I have to be careful how much I tell him. The last thing I need is to have my licence pulled. :eek:

Beth

Beth - be careful driving with a 'dead' leg. You could cause more problems than just a fender bender!

Had a rotten day of eating yesterday. First off, I didn't eat breakfast or lunch. Then for dinner I had a pot pie because I had to get some math done and DH was trying to find something quick to cook for me because he also had work that needed to get done. Where is my maid!:D

[quote name='WeirdEyes']

Tami, a friend of mine swears that NutriSweet is horrible for you. I use Splenda and I've never had any problems. Good luck getting rid of those headaches. I get migraines and they are no fun. Mine are from allergies though.
.[/QUOTE]

Shelia, I've heard this alot expecially when it comes to headaches. I've always had these and they are related to my allergies but I'm wondering if nutrasweet isn't aggravating the situation.

Juli- My sister gets terrible migraines and had to go off birth control patches/pills.

Beth- Here in the US anyway, they really couldn't pull your license but they could make you get a modification to your car so that you have a hand brake.

I was doing really well on my WOE except the last 24 hours. Yikes. I can't wait until my kitchen is back together.

Tami

[quote name='adoptmom']Shelia, I've heard this alot expecially when it comes to headaches. I've always had these and they are related to my allergies but I'm wondering if nutrasweet isn't aggravating the situation.

Juli- My sister gets terrible migraines and had to go off birth control patches/pills.

Beth- Here in the US anyway, they really couldn't pull your license but they could make you get a modification to your car so that you have a hand brake.

I was doing really well on my WOE except the last 24 hours. Yikes. I can't wait until my kitchen is back together.

Tami[/QUOTE]

They could pull it here if it was determined that you had a medical problem that affects your ability to drive. I really don't think that I'm in that category though.

Beth

Tami - I wish the solution to my migraines were that easy, but I am not on any type of birth control. I am, however in the midst of menopause. My DH freaked out a couple months ago when I missed my TOM. He thought I was pregnant. I had to remind him that that is all part of menopause.

LOL! :D Juli- I'm guessing that he wouldn't have needed to freak out if you really were pregnant. You'd have been doing a good enough job for both of you. I'd love to be pregnant once but not when I'm old enough for menopause. Yikes! I have it planned so that all my kids will be 20 before DH and I turn 60. Then we're going to retire and spend their inheritance. We've already told them that if they move to different parts of the country we're going to buy a big RV and travel around spending a month at a time parked in their driveways. :eek: LOL, it's so much fun to torture your kids! However, there are too many other places I'd like to see in the world so they needn't worry too much.

I made ricotta creme last night with some peanut butter and chocolate extract. :eek: Wow! I'm making more to take to a party tonight so I can avoid the cake.

Oh! I also made a fairly decent meatloaf earlier this week.

1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin
2 C shredded zucchini
1/4 C diced proscuitto
1/2 C shredded mozzarella or asagio cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp italian seasoning blend
1 tsp or less of hot sauce
1 tsp of worchestershire sauce.
1 T tomato paste
1/4 C milk

I just slapped it all together and baked it for about an hour and 15 minutes. I didn't add egg due to family food allergies and it stayed together very well but you could add one if you wanted.

Archived