Bahamas --Accessiblity (Leaving Monday)

RZM2005

We are leaving to the Bahamas on Monday and we need things to do in Nassau. My sister is wheelchair bound and can not get up and walk ANY distances. She uses a powerwheelchair. I've been trying to search and have posted threads to help find an accessible van in Nassau, but had no luck so far.

I was wondering if anyone travelled recently to Nassau in a wheelchair. What is there to do? And how did you get around? Is there any handicap accessible beaches?? If we do happen to get around in seeing Atlantis is it wheelchair friendly? Any information about Bahamas accessiblity is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

I have never really done anything special at Nassau. There is a nice AC building with many nice things to purchase just beyond the pier. Or if you would like to do additional shopping you can go up town a bit but stay on the main streats as it does look a little dicy. Also be aware that the sidewalk cut outs are few and far between. I have never tried to go to Atlantis or anywhere far from the ship. They do have a taxi station just at the fence and they can probabley direct you for handicapped accessable transportation. Not my favoirite port. I usually stay on the ship.

We have not been there, but my understanding is accessibility is very limited here, and from past posts, there is no accessible transportation and no accessible (lift equipped) cabs on the island. If she can stand or easily transfer, I would strongly recommend taking a manual wheelchair too, and then plan on hiring cabs to get around. A power chair will be useless if there are no ramps or curb cuts.

We have been to Nassau several times, but did not go to Atlantis because no one could provide information about accessibility. However, on our last visit we did go to the Pirate's Museum which is about a 10 minute walk from the pier. The museum is not very large, but it is accessible. There also is a small covered shopping area at the end of the pier with a few interesting stands.

Do not try to go into the Straw Market. The stands are much too close together for a wheelchair to pass. In addition, it tends to be very crowded.

As Splinter said, it probably would be better to take a manual chair in addition to your sister's power chair. Power chairs are great aboard ship, but manual chairs provide much more flexibility in ports where accessibility is limited.

WE were there last year for the day. You can call them ahead of time and pay a fee to stay there for the day. I can't quite remember what it was, I think approx. $35. There really isn't anything included such as food or drink in this price,except the freedom to wonder around the property and the magnificant aquariums. This was well worth it. I can't say I was actually paying attention if it was wheelchair freindly but I think so! You could ask when you call ahead. They also have a shuttle that will pick you up at the pier. Hope this helps. We loved our day there!!:)

WE were there last year for the day. You can call them ahead of time and pay a fee to stay there for the day. I can't quite remember what it was, I think approx. $35. There really isn't anything included such as food or drink in this price,except the freedom to wonder around the property and the magnificant aquariums. This was well worth it. I can't say I was actually paying attention if it was wheelchair freindly but I think so! You could ask when you call ahead. They also have a shuttle that will pick you up at the pier. Hope this helps. We loved our day there!!:)

Been to Nassau many times. Atlantis is built on many different levels with elevators required to get from level to level...The elevators require special keys to operate (childproofing) so you must either capture an employee to give you a keyed tour or take a tour offered by the cruiseline.

Nassau is only barely accessible. Power chair? not worth the effort. Enjoy the ship...Look at Nassau from the deck.

Archived