What ship would you recommend for Bermuda?

Sky Sweet

Depending on whether you want a 5 or 7 day cruise. Explorer does a 5 day cruise w/2 days in Bermuda; RCCL's Empress of the Seas, Celebrity Zenith and Norwegian Crown do 7 days w/4 days in Bermuda in Bermuda.

All of the ships besides Explorer are older ships and I can only speak about the Empress of the Seas since I haven't sailed the others. The Empress is in great shape with the friendliest crew, yes the cabins are smaller but we're not in them that much.

Have fun deciding but if I were going to Bermuda I'd want to spend as much time there that I could, it's a beautiful, friendly island with a lot to do.

Debbie

Sky Sweet..I had posted this on another thread but not sure if you saw it.

of course it's your choice but I do think you would be missing out on something special if you don't book Zenith to Bermuda because of a few negative reports. If you notice, there are many many people who are frequent and repeat cruisers on Zenith. Can we all be wrong, or do we all not care about a quality cruise experience?

If you would be happier on RCL or NCL then by all means book them. You may want to consider that RCL does not dock in St. George and Hamilton. And if you enjoy the great food and service on X and the idea of formal nights and traditional dining then you would not enjoy NCL.

It's all a matter of what you deem important on your cruise vacation. Believe me I would not be sailing on Zenith for a third time to Bermuda if I did not enjoy the ship or if the ship was dirty. I was actually very pleased and surprised on my first cruise last June to see how clean and well maintained this ship was.

You cannot judge a trip to Bermuda on Zenith based on reviews of her short cruises from Miami during spring break weeks. The 7 day cruises have a totally different atmosphere. Zenith gives me what is important to me on a cruise...

Delicious food and a traditional dining experience

Great fellow passengers

Absolutely the best crew and service on the seas

Convenience of docking in St. George AND Hamilton for 3.5 days

Comfortable and nicely decorated public rooms

No constant announcements

Reasonable prices

Good-sized and comfortably lived in staterooms

Just enough activities to keep me entertained

As for the balcony...we spent so little time in the room it was not necessary or needed. We spent most of our time in Bermuda or at the pool or on one of the aft decks.

You may have other priorities. That's why it's good we have so many choices out there.:)

Also NCL has a ship out of Boston. I have been on all three ships, NCL's Crown, Empress of the Seas and the Zenith. I personally prefer the less formal setting of the Crown. Also some of the other NCL ships will be staying one day in Bermuda. I don't like the Explorers 36 hours in Bermuda. I would look at the number of days in Bermuda and the price and which one you are closer to.

Also NCL has a ship out of Boston. I have been on all three ships, NCL's Crown, Empress of the Seas and the Zenith. I personally prefer the less formal setting of the Crown. Also some of the other NCL ships will be staying one day in Bermuda. I don't like the Explorers 36 hours in Bermuda. I would look at the number of days in Bermuda and the price and which one you are closer to.

Hi Smeyer :)

Since you have been on these three ships, how did they compare in terms of condition, amenities, and cabins?

Thanks for your help :)

Sky Sweet..I had posted this on another thread but not sure if you saw it.

of course it's your choice but I do think you would be missing out on something special if you don't book Zenith to Bermuda because of a few negative reports. If you notice, there are many many people who are frequent and repeat cruisers on Zenith. Can we all be wrong, or do we all not care about a quality cruise experience?

If you would be happier on RCL or NCL then by all means book them. You may want to consider that RCL does not dock in St. George and Hamilton. And if you enjoy the great food and service on X and the idea of formal nights and traditional dining then you would not enjoy NCL.

It's all a matter of what you deem important on your cruise vacation. Believe me I would not be sailing on Zenith for a third time to Bermuda if I did not enjoy the ship or if the ship was dirty. I was actually very pleased and surprised on my first cruise last June to see how clean and well maintained this ship was.

You cannot judge a trip to Bermuda on Zenith based on reviews of her short cruises from Miami during spring break weeks. The 7 day cruises have a totally different atmosphere. Zenith gives me what is important to me on a cruise...

Delicious food and a traditional dining experience

Great fellow passengers

Absolutely the best crew and service on the seas

Convenience of docking in St. George AND Hamilton for 3.5 days

Comfortable and nicely decorated public rooms

No constant announcements

Reasonable prices

Good-sized and comfortably lived in staterooms

Just enough activities to keep me entertained

As for the balcony...we spent so little time in the room it was not necessary or needed. We spent most of our time in Bermuda or at the pool or on one of the aft decks.

You may have other priorities. That's why it's good we have so many choices out there.:)

Hi Brooklyn Girl :)

Thanks for sharing your helpful opinions on the Zenith to Bermuda. Maybe I will rethink my decision to eliminate it from consideration.

Hi Smeyer :)

Since you have been on these three ships, how did they compare in terms of condition, amenities, and cabins?

Thanks for your help :)

Empress older ship small cabins- Food was about the same as NCL and X(I know the X people feel its better-I found it pretty close)- best room service in terms of selection you can order off the dining room menu's when the dining rooms are open. Had a climbing wall- tended to be the rockiest ship on the higher level.

NCL Crown- I had the owners suite- largest room I have even been in with butler service- do I need to say more? But the reqular dining room food was fine. More crowded- not set up the best for freestyle but in Bermuda freestyle is best(no set eating times you can comeback to the ship when you want- Also NCL has Dine around program that lets you eat one meal ashore for nominal fee- at some very good resturants. Steadiest ship of the group. No formal night(thank goodness). Regular rooms are ok size very good storage space. Limited room service menu(except for owner suite)- free cappucino in dining room.

Zenith- OK food boring in my opinion ok if you like traditional cruising.

All the ships were adequately maintained.

Your welcome Sky Sweet...just trying to be helpful.:)

If you know Lois R on the X Boards, she has some nice Zenith pictures on her photo site (it's in her signature.)

I think you are a frequent X cruiser so you know the food is not boring. You can also order room service dinner off the dinner menu during those hours. You also know about the Sushi bar, the pasta and pizza stations, the aft grill, the yummy pastries at the Cova Cafe, and the wonderful waffles...

Another point...Zenith's Ocean View cabins are 172 square feet and I believe (pls correct me someone if I'm wrong) the rooms on Empress are around 135 square feet. This may not be an issue if you only book suites but I would check the room sizes. We had more than enough storage for 3 of us. I don't know about the room sizes on NCL.

On Zenith you also have the option of a sit down casual dinner at the Wind Surf Cafe. Charge is $2 pp.

The reason you will find older ships sailing to Bermuda is that the newer and larger ships cannot dock in Hamilton and cannot "make the cut" into St. George (which is an event in itself).

If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Hi Sky Sweet,

I have been on the Zenith to Bermuda last year, rebooked for this year and also cruised on Explore and Voyager of the Seas.

My first cruises were balconies on RCI ships. I loved them, LOVED the ships, LOVED the balconies. My first cruise the food was much better than the second cruise which took place about 5 yrs later. But still the food was good, not horrible. Service was great, definitely no complaints about RCI and would book them again and again with the right intinerary and price.

I booked Zenith vs. Voyager for last year because I was able to get a 7 day cruise to Bermuda instead of a 5 day cruise to Bermuda for about 150 less. To me that was a huge difference not just in money--that was the least of it. I wanted those extra 2 days at Bermuda. Yes--I did miss my balcony--BUT---

Being that we were in staying in Bermuda for 4 days vs. changing ports every day--we weren't in our room or on the ship as much, so the balcony was missed less.

I found the service and crew very friendly on Zenith, maybe a bit more so than on RCI only because Zenith is a much smaller ship and so the atmosphere is more intimate. But to be honest, I did miss the newer amenities on RCI some. It's comparing apples to oranges. RCI doesn't have sushi!

Personally, I loved both experiences. I certainly would not let the negative reviews written influence you too much. Each experience is so subjective to each of us. Like Brooklyn Girl stated too many repeat customers on Zenith--something must be right about her!!:D

I was asked to give my opinion and did so. You obviously liked the Zenith. I didn't. I gave my reasons. You are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mne. You haven't been on NCL. The main difference is that NCL does resort casual and is more relaxed. As I said before look at itinery and then price. I don't like the 5 day on the Explorer or the fact that it is only in the Dockyards. I never said that I wouldn't go again on the Zenith but since I get free cruises from using my NCL credit card, I will probably go on that, as I will next month.

Empress older ship small cabins- Food was about the same as NCL and X(I know the X people feel its better-I found it pretty close)- best room service in terms of selection you can order off the dining room menu's when the dining rooms are open. Had a climbing wall- tended to be the rockiest ship on the higher level.

Are you saying that I might want to save my money and book a stateroom on a lower deck? We are thinking of booking on the Empress to Bermuda out of Norfolk since we live close by and wouldn't have to fly at all.

Are you saying that I might want to save my money and book a stateroom on a lower deck? We are thinking of booking on the Empress to Bermuda out of Norfolk since we live close by and wouldn't have to fly at all.

If movement of the ship bothers you the closer to the center you are the less movement you feel. So deck 4 or 5 midships is about as least movement that you get, Higher up or near the front or back...it wavers more.

Judy , we are in williamsburg. Was hoping the Empress's prices would be a lot less than the ships out of Fl. I found them not to be at all. Wanted to do Bermuda and save the flying. But with some free flight credits using visa air tran card am now rethinking Bermuda and sticking with Florida ports with the larger ships. I was very surprised that this ship, being the smallest, and new to Norfolk, would have prices the same as the Fl based cruises.

Judy , we are in williamsburg. Was hoping the Empress's prices would be a lot less than the ships out of Fl. I found them not to be at all. Wanted to do Bermuda and save the flying. But with some free flight credits using visa air tran card am now rethinking Bermuda and sticking with Florida ports with the larger ships. I was very surprised that this ship, being the smallest, and new to Norfolk, would have prices the same as the Fl based cruises.

Our prices for our upcoming cruise on the Empress are higher too but I think it's because the market for Florida is satuated with a lot of ships on different days so they have more of a market then we do or Norfolk. Bermuda is very expensive and I just read an article this weekend on how the port charges that Bermuda charges each cruise line is the highest out of all ports.

Debbie

Our TA said that she expected the prices to be high out of Norfolk because the demand is high and the supply is small. I was hoping that the prices might be lower to draw people to Norfolk. I have been checking the RCI website today and the cabins are going fast. We will probably try to book something tomorrow for one of the earlier cruises. So far all the balcony cabins and junior suites are sold out for the date that we want. I still think it is worth paying a little more to be able to cruise from a local port rather than having the hassel of getting to and from airports. I will actually board the ship fairly rested instead of exhausted from a day of travel before hand.

BTW, Inshape, Bermuda is beautiful (or it was when we were there in 1980). I don't have much interest in the Caribbean but I have always wanted to go back to Bermuda. I hope it hasn't lost its charm over the years.

Judy; Been to Bermuda 2 times but it was in the 80's too. It was wonderful. Getting to Fl via Newport News, Air tran is wonderful. We only take the direct flight. That is why we are doing Mariner again. I hated landing in Orlando and then having to drive to Miami like we did a few years ago for EOS. That took a lot our of us. Now we land at 1 pm or so, and then head to one of the parks...usually Sea World since our passes here in Williamsburg get us into Sea World for Free (even parking). We get to pet the stingrays, the dolphins and ride a few rides. Then we go to a resort for a few days and then the cruise. But this next trip we are skipping the 3 day pre cruise stuff and just doing the day before and Sea World. The off to hotel and then to the ship on Sunday. The direct flight the following sunday is at a great time--enough time to rent the car and drive the easy trip to the airport. And then in 1.5 hours we land in Newport News. It is really easy. And with the Air tran visa, we earn enough to get half of the flights paid for.

Given the choice of the 7 night sailings to Bermuda, there is only one choice:

Celebrity Zenith

I've sailed all the current 7 night ships, and Zenith is the only ship I'd sail again.

RCCL's 5 night on the Explorer, is a waste of money. That sailing just generates onboard revenue.

As stated above by the 'known authority' OCNGYPZ I would stick with Zenith.

We've done Zenith for three of our cruises to Bermuda and it is the next best thing to staying at the Southampton Princess we have found.

Inshape,

We booked our cruise today - May 5, 2007, on the Empress of the Seas out of Norfolk. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to sail out of Norfolk. Another couple (our best friends who went to Alaska with us last year) is going with us so we are really looking forward to it. I just don't know if I can stand waiting a YEAR until the cruise though. There was someone else at our TA booking the April 28th cruise. They have a long list of people who want to take the cruise sometime next spring/summer so I am sure it is the same throughout the area. The cabins are selling very fast. I watched the category that we wanted sell out yesterday as I checked the RCI website off and on during the day.

Hi we are looking at booking on RCL Empress of the Seas for July 07 leaving out of Philly. Does anyone have any information on the cabin sizes or if we should consider NCL?:confused:

We just booked a cruise on the Empress today - 5/5/07 to Bermuda out of Norfolk. If you go to the RCI website you can find out all about the cabins and sizes. They are small. Insides are about 117 sq. ft., oceanviews range from 108 sq. ft. to 139 sq. ft. Balconies (Junior Suite) are 154 sq. ft. plus balcony (25 sq. ft.). Like I said, small.

We just booked a cruise on the Empress today - 5/5/07 to Bermuda out of Norfolk. If you go to the RCI website you can find out all about the cabins and sizes. They are small. Insides are about 117 sq. ft., oceanviews range from 108 sq. ft. to 139 sq. ft. Balconies (Junior Suite) are 154 sq. ft. plus balcony (25 sq. ft.). Like I said, small.

Wow they are small. We traveled on Carnival before and their rooms were about 220 sq ft.

Thanks for the information. I'll check some other things as well.:)

Archived