What ship would you recommend for Bermuda?

Sky Sweet

Yeah, but she's small but mighty:p . Can't wait we leave on her tomorrow, 3rd time's a charm.

Debbie

Debbie,

I hope you will post a review to tell us all about your cruise. Since we will be doing the same cruise the same time next year, I am anxious to hear all about Bermuda and the Empress. We are going with friends also. The 4 of us were in Bermuda in 1980 so it will be interesting to see how much things have changed. I just hope Bermuda still has the charm that it had when we were there then. Have a great time!

Judy: good news! Sounds great! And I know how you feel about waiting a year. We did our last cruise in Jan and the upcoming one is Oct. and I am then thinking what to do after that one.... keep us posted! We are neighbors you know.

We are neighbors you know.

Yes, I know. If you check my pictures below, you will see that we have LOTS of pictures taken in W'burg. It is one of my favorite places and love it that we live so close by. Did you know that there is a thread started by VA cruisers on CC. I just found out about it recently. They seem to have quite a social thing going in the group. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44446

EMPRESS is the way to go. we've been on her once in '3, now going again in one week!

wonderful ship, if you want a balcony, you got it. also, this year it only does st. georges and ft. hamilton, no king's wharf for her.

a great, great cruise.:D

if you want a balcony, you got it.

Not on our cruise on May 5, 2007. :( By the time our TA was able to get the information from RCI, all the balconies were taken. And we booked the day after she called us! Oh, well, we are saving almost $1000 on the cruise by going with an outside stateroom rather than a Jr. Suite.

Hi we are looking at booking on RCL Empress of the Seas for July 07 leaving out of Philly. Does anyone have any information on the cabin sizes or if we should consider NCL?:confused:

Hi

We are cruising on the Empress July 8th from Philly to Bermuda...Did you book?

We are never in our rooms long enough to consider the size of them. We just change, shower and sleep.

:D

Your welcome Sky Sweet...just trying to be helpful.:)

If you know Lois R on the X Boards, she has some nice Zenith pictures on her photo site (it's in her signature.)

I think you are a frequent X cruiser so you know the food is not boring. You can also order room service dinner off the dinner menu during those hours. You also know about the Sushi bar, the pasta and pizza stations, the aft grill, the yummy pastries at the Cova Cafe, and the wonderful waffles...

Another point...Zenith's Ocean View cabins are 172 square feet and I believe (pls correct me someone if I'm wrong) the rooms on Empress are around 135 square feet. This may not be an issue if you only book suites but I would check the room sizes. We had more than enough storage for 3 of us. I don't know about the room sizes on NCL.

On Zenith you also have the option of a sit down casual dinner at the Wind Surf Cafe. Charge is $2 pp.

The reason you will find older ships sailing to Bermuda is that the newer and larger ships cannot dock in Hamilton and cannot "make the cut" into St. George (which is an event in itself).

If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to ask.

And the Zenith has a wonderful aft patio for alfresco diing by the wake and one deck down a sun deck over the wake.

This is a very classy, elegant ship with teak and brass. Not glitzy like the RCCL jumbo ships. It has the best itinerary of any ship.

Not on our cruise on May 5, 2007. :( By the time our TA was able to get the information from RCI, all the balconies were taken. And we booked the day after she called us! Oh, well, we are saving almost $1000 on the cruise by going with an outside stateroom rather than a Jr. Suite.

there are only 61 jr. suite balconies and they go very quickly. we booked our cruise back in october of 2005 :o

there are only 61 jr. suite balconies and they go very quickly. we booked our cruise back in october of 2005 :o

This itinerary was just announced less than 2 weeks ago and the TA had been trying since it was announced in the local papers to get info about the dates, etc., from RCI. She got the information on Wednesday and we booked on Thursday and all the jr. suites were already gone. So we booked about as early as possible. The itinerary didn't even show up on the RCI website until this week because I was checking almost daily. I suspect that some TA consortium bought all the jr. suites before any others had a chance. There are only about 10 sailings next year from Norfolk and they are going quickly.

I have been on Nordic Empress to Bermuda in 2001.The rooms are much smaller then the ones on Zenith I will be on Zenith in 15 days so I really can't give too many comparisons.

My decision was made due to Port and time spent in Bermuda.When I planned on going NCL moved their ships to Philly,and we are staying in NYC post cruise so those ships were not a good choice for us.I really wanted to try the free style cruising as I thought it would be perfect for the 4 nights in Bermuda.I know I will have a great time on Zenith

• 2 weeks later...
This itinerary was just announced less than 2 weeks ago and the TA had been trying since it was announced in the local papers to get info about the dates, etc., from RCI. She got the information on Wednesday and we booked on Thursday and all the jr. suites were already gone. So we booked about as early as possible. The itinerary didn't even show up on the RCI website until this week because I was checking almost daily. I suspect that some TA consortium bought all the jr. suites before any others had a chance. There are only about 10 sailings next year from Norfolk and they are going quickly.

empress will sail all next season '07 to bermuda, just from more than one port. all others are on ships stopping ONLY in king's wharf.

7 Night Bermuda Cruise

Ship Name: Empress Of The Seas

Departure Port: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Ports of Call: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Hamilton, Bermuda; St. George Island, Bermuda; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

2007 Date(s): Sep 01 , Sep 08 , Sep 15 , Sep 22 , Sep 29 , Oct 06 , Oct 13 , Oct 20

7 Night Bermuda Cruise

Departure Port: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Ports of Call: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Hamilton, Bermuda; St. George Island, Bermuda; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

2007 Date(s): Jul 28 , Aug 04 , Aug 11 , Aug 18 , Aug 25

7 Night Bermuda Cruise

Departure Port: Norfolk, Virginia

Ports of Call: Hamilton, Bermuda; St. George Island, Bermuda;

2007 Date(s): Apr 28 , May 05 , May 12 , May 19 , May 26 , Jun 16 , Jun 23 , Jun 30 , Jul 07 , Jul 14

empress will sail all next season '07 to bermuda, just from more than one port. all others are on ships stopping ONLY in king's wharf.

Yes, but only 10 sailings are from Norfolk and I can drive to that port in 30 minutes. :D

Yes, but only 10 sailings are from Norfolk and I can drive to that port in 30 minutes. :D

aaahhh! got it :)

I can't believe all the 9th level balconies are sold out already. We just returned from Bermuda, we were in 9120, right side of the ship.

I'd keep checking, they might free up. Also, 3 years ago when we had our first cruise to bermuda, I booked a balcony, it was 9618, just 3 weeks before sail date!

• 4 weeks later...

I am an agent in Virginia Beach and RCCL notified all agency's when each 2007 cruise would open. I called the day it opened (had to call quite a few times) and was able to secure 50 cabins on the May 12th sailing including balconies. I am an at home agent (with 12 years experience) so it is not only consortiums. I had been waiting and waiting for these cruises to be announced since I love Bermuda:) . You may find a few balcony's opening within a month or so, but if they do, they won't last long.

Hope you have a great trip!

SMEYER..... ? for you. You mentioned there was no formal night on the crown, is that correct?

On nights in the regular dining room what was the dress code like. How casual can one go? Capris for dinner ok?

Thanks .....

Empress older ship small cabins- Food was about the same as NCL and X(I know the X people feel its better-I found it pretty close)- best room service in terms of selection you can order off the dining room menu's when the dining rooms are open. Had a climbing wall- tended to be the rockiest ship on the higher level.

NCL Crown- I had the owners suite- largest room I have even been in with butler service- do I need to say more? But the reqular dining room food was fine. More crowded- not set up the best for freestyle but in Bermuda freestyle is best(no set eating times you can comeback to the ship when you want- Also NCL has Dine around program that lets you eat one meal ashore for nominal fee- at some very good resturants. Steadiest ship of the group. No formal night(thank goodness). Regular rooms are ok size very good storage space. Limited room service menu(except for owner suite)- free cappucino in dining room.

Zenith- OK food boring in my opinion ok if you like traditional cruising.

All the ships were adequately maintained.

SMEYER..... ? for you. You mentioned there was no formal night on the crown, is that correct?

On nights in the regular dining room what was the dress code like. How casual can one go? Capris for dinner ok?

Thanks .....

There is no required formal night there is an optional formal night but no one is turned away from the dining room as long as they are resort causal. The dress code is the same at the dining room(not the buffet) for dinner- resort casual every night. For man a collared shirt- like a polo shirt with long pants. For woman anything but jeans or a swimsuit(I am not sure is shorts are prohibited for woman- they are for man) . So capris are fine.

Some people like to dress up not me. I wear my Tux enough during the year.

Thanks for the very quick reply.... I appreciate your answer.

Another ? if you don't mind. On the crown can you request a table for 2 for dinner?

There is no required formal night there is an optional formal night but no one is turned away from the dining room as long as they are resort causal. The dress code is the same at the dining room(not the buffet) for dinner- resort casual every night. For man a collared shirt- like a polo shirt with long pants. For woman anything but jeans or a swimsuit(I am not sure is shorts are prohibited for woman- they are for man) . So capris are fine.

Some people like to dress up not me. I wear my Tux enough during the year.

Thanks for the very quick reply.... I appreciate your answer.

Another ? if you don't mind. On the crown can you request a table for 2 for dinner?

Yes when you get there each night they will ask you if you want to share or eat by yourself. They will do what you ask sometimes no wait sometimes an half hour... Remember its freestyle so you have no fixed seating..

Thanks , sounds good to me... I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions...

Yes when you get there each night they will ask you if you want to share or eat by yourself. They will do what you ask sometimes no wait sometimes an half hour... Remember its freestyle so you have no fixed seating..

As Mr. Meyer said, the Crown is the most stable of the Bermuda ships, and you have 500 to 700 miles of open Atlantic to cross, so you might take that into consideration. I like both Zenith and Crown (they are very similar in appearance: same age, same size, decorated in the chrome and mirrors style of their period), I keep going to Crown because transportation to Bayonne from my apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan is ridiculously expensive and the Crown is 15 minutes from home by cab (also, those NCL credit card discounts are hard to resist.) Eating anytime you want is an attractive NCL feature: last year there was a night when we caught an early dinner onboard, then took an excursion from St. George's, returned and caught the little street fair in the square and returned to the Crown for desert in the main dining room. The food was excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly -but this is also true of Zenith. Zenith doesn't go to the Dockyard, but you can take a 20 minute ferry there from Hamilton. Mr. Meyer mentioned the NCL Dine Ashore program and it's great- for $20 you get to knock $100 off your dinner bill in the participating restaurants. Last year we did the superlative Tom Moore's Tavern...this year it's not on the list, so we'll try the Carriage House in St. George's. Either ship, I think, will make you happy and they are very similarly priced if you have a good travel agent or can wait for the internet sales...

I have done both cruises, my first was a 7 day with princess on a smaller ship and the second was a 5 day out of NJ on Royal & to tell you the truth I enjoyed the 7 day that was able to dock in all ports. It is such a plus to be able to dock curbside in Hamilton and shop, come back to the ship for lunch and go back out to enjoy a beach. After dinner we were able to get on and off the ship without running in fear of missing the ship. Also on the 5 day out of NJ they do not have lobster night which was a bummer.

Hi,

We are thinking about cruising to Bermuda this fall on NCL Majesty out of Charleston, SC. I have a couple of questions.

1. Since Bermuda will be our only port for 3½ days, are the ships at a dock or do you have to tender?

2. Are you allowed to board the ship for dinner and then leave the ship again to do more things on shore and if so, what time do you have to be back on the ship for the night?

3. What are the "must see and do" things in Bermuda? Neither of us care for swimming, snorkeling, etc.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Archived