NYC hotel

JPCruising

Wife & I are going on New England/Canada cruise on the Dawn this Sept. thought we would spent 2 nights in NYC before going on the cruise. Have been doing a lot of online research and was thinking of staying at the New York Helmsley on 42nd ST or Doubletree Metropolitan. Any comments about either of these two choices? Never been to NYC thought I would sign up for the Grayline double decker bus tours to get a feel of the city.

Wife & I are going on New England/Canada cruise on the Dawn this Sept. thought we would spent 2 nights in NYC before going on the cruise. Have been doing a lot of online research and was thinking of staying at the New York Helmsley on 42nd ST or Doubletree Metropolitan. Any comments about either of these two choices? Never been to NYC thought I would sign up for the Grayline double decker bus tours to get a feel of the city.

I have not stayed at either of these hotels. If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in a great location, I would recommend The Belvedere. We stayed a couple years ago and thought it was a great hotel for the $$$. The bathroom is small, but other than that, it's a nice hotel. Check out their website, and you might also want to check out tripadvisor.com.

The Helmsley hotels aren't what they used to be and my vote would go for the Doubletree Metropolitan. It is on the East Side and close to Saks Fifth Avenue and other shopping.

The location of the Belvedere is a little better in my opinion.

i did alot of research on trip advisor and cannot beleive how expensive the rooms are in ny. and the ones that have good prices are for the ''' shared bath ''' :eek: . i will not do that . i am used to getting 3/4 star rooms for about $50 on priceline. we are going to stay at the la quinta suites for the night for $170 ( GULP ). but it has good reviews and is only a block from the empire state building. we will be within walking distance of anything we want to do for the evening. they also have a shuttle service ( for a price of course ) to pick us up at lga. i dont know if we will do this or not though. im still trying to figure out the easiest, cheapest and safest way to get from lga to hotel. i have never been to ny so im not sure about the taxis and other transportation services. good luck with your stay and have a great cruise.

i did alot of research on trip advisor and cannot beleive how expensive the rooms are in ny. and the ones that have good prices are for the ''' shared bath ''' :eek: . i will not do that . i am used to getting 3/4 star rooms for about $50 on priceline. we are going to stay at the la quinta suites for the night for $170 ( GULP ).. they also have a shuttle service ( for a price of course ) to pick us up at lga. i dont know if we will do this or not though. im still trying to figure out the easiest, cheapest and safest way to get from lga to hotel. i have never been to ny so im not sure about the taxis and other transportation services. good luck with your stay and have a great cruise.

Manhattan has some of the highest occupancy in the world right now. Couple that with the fact that 10 or so hotels have be closed to be converted (Stanhope, Mayflower, Regent Wall Street, The Plaza) to condos, and you quickly see it is a sellers market.

The New Yorker which is right by Madison Square Garden & Macy's. Also the Tick Tock Dinner which is attached has excellent meals. (Pancakes to die for and huge hamburgers that was supperb) I paid @ 125 for two double beds and when I entered the room we had 2 full baths. It was dated but spick and span and the location is great.

Just to add my 2cents. I loved the double decker tour. We sat up in the top in the front and did the south route one day and the north route (uptown and Harlem) the next. Best way to see all of New York for a newbie.

Archived