Two Options For Alaska - Opinions Please

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on this board for awhile as we are sailing RCI this year, but we have just decided to gift a cruise to my elderly in-laws for Alaska in June. Our options for them are limited to RT sailings as one-way air to/from Alaska is prohibitive (we're all here in Calgary). It's down to these:

1. Norwegian Wind RT Vancouver - June 25

2. Norwegian Sun RT Seattle - June 24

Both scenarios price out about the same CAD with the airfares. These are the factors at issue:

1. Ease of transfer from airport to port and return. We sailed out of Vancouver last year and know that route, but had an absolute nightmare at Canada Place with so many boats embarking all at once. We're totally unfamiliar with both the airport and the port in Seattle. My mother-in-law is quite high maintenance and neither she nor father-in-law are very well travelled so we need the on/off part to be fairly idiot-proof. Once they're on board they will be fine.

2. The ships themselves. We've been on the Sun and thought it was o.k.; is the Wind much of a downgrade? (I'm actually suprised that the Wind rates are so high given the age and stage of her).

Looking forward to lots of excellent input and wishing happy sailing to all NCL'ers this season!:)

The Alaska boards carry quite a bit of chatter about which ports to use for Alaska. Look under ports of call.

We have done Vancouver twice and found it very easy to board.

The Norwegian pier at Seattle is Pier 66, the same one downtown near the Pikes Marketplace the Victoria ferry uses. Only one cruise ship each day leaves this pier, there shouldn't be too much of a crowd as the other cruise ship lines use the new two dock pier near the stadiums south of downtown Seattle.

While its easy to get to the SeaTac airport, this airport is usually very crowded on weekends. Its not just the other cruise ships either, Seattle is so detached from the rest of the United States that almost everyone flies. Its not Cleveland where people can drive to the Atlantic coast or to the upper Midwest in a day's drive. Its a four day drive from Cleveland to Seattle, thereby the reason why almost everyone flies to or from Seattle. Almost all of the cruise line passenger fly, probably over 90 percent on the Alaskan cruises. Of course, Vancouver is on the same boat here too.

The Wind is an older ship, I would prefer the Sun. However, the Wind is coming out of a drydock before the Alaskan cruises, whereas the Sun won't be going into drydock until next year. I was on the Sun in December, not too long ago, and she is in perfect condition. She is not so runned down to need a drydock yet.

Having boarded the Sky twice in Seattle, the overall experience was quite easy, nice terminal, only one ship etc. Living in PDX we had a half day drive on one trip and a train ride the other. From Calgary, you might look at the train option, perhaps drive to Sandpoint ID or Spokane WA and take the empire builder to Sea. The terminal is a short taxi ride from there. When we trained up from PDX we stayed overnight in a hotel. The taxi dropped us off on the sidewalk right outside the luggage drop area. No muss no fuss. When we drove, there was a parking garage accross and up the street. They take your bags and load them in a van to take to the pier. You must walk. Flying is a third option, but I am not convinced that Sea Tac is all that great of an airport - it is big and overwhelming.

I say this because I feel the Sun is a better ship, while I have not been on her, she is bigger and newer than the Wind. She has more balcony and oceanview rooms - very nice for seeing the AK scenery without haveing to go on deck. Reviews on the Wind say she is smaller and her crew is more personable as the staff to passenger ratio is higher. Even though she just came out of drydock - she is being transfered to the Star lines after this AK season and the Sun moves to HI.

I agree with you about the crowds at Canada Place in Vancouver. We had quite a wait when we went on the Sun (which then left out of Vancouver) to clear customs, but other than that it wasn't too bad.

The day of disembarkation was a mess, however. We left the ship, waited in line for 30 minutes to go back through Canadian customs, and were supposed to catch a taxi to take us to our rental car pickup. The wait for a cab was almost 2 hours :eek: . Luckily, we located a kiosk at Canada Place for our rental car agency, and they were able to get us on a shuttle -- which still took about 30 minutes. We were glad we were driving back to Seattle to spend the night before flying back to Utah. I'd have been in a panic if we'd been trying to get to the Vancouver airport for a flight. I think there were 3 ships at Canada Place that day, which is also the number scheduled to be there when the Wind departs.

I haven't, however, cruised out of Seattle, so I don't have an opinion on that port. I've also never cruised the Wind, but we thoroughly enjoyed the Sun. Good luck with your planning!

I sailed the Star out of SEA last year with parents aged 70+ (one has trouble walking) and they did fine. Flew into SEATAC the night before. It was a major pain to get a Taxi since you had to go up a level, cross to a garage then back down.

It looked to me like the people with cruise line transfers worked out better and walked right out to a bus. I would take that option next time.

The port terminal I was at only serviced the one NCL ship that day (and no other ships) so it was not very crowded. Compared to Chicago the traffic in Seattle was minor.

The Pearl will be brand new and departing SEA so given a choice I would want to be on the new ship. The Star also departs SEA and is the same age as the Sun but a larger ship and similar to the Pearl with more stuff.

I sailed the Star out of SEA last year with parents aged 70+ (one has trouble walking) and they did fine. Flew into SEATAC the night before. It was a major pain to get a Taxi since you had to go up a level, cross to a garage then back down.

Is this after you retrieve your luggage? Is there an elevator or escator and clear signage to direct you to taxis? I was going to purchase transfers but its more expensive than a taxi and I would like to stop at a store first before going to the ship.

We no longer use the cruise line transfers. We rent a limo each way. It is much cheaper and quicker. We are going to Seattle on July 15. We have a limo for $40.00 each way.

So, then you call ahead and they meet you at the airport after you get out of the airport? Do you use someone in particular? Thanks.

Thanks for all your help. What we ended up doing (yesterday) is booking the Star for Sept. 17. There was an unexpected price drop on this sailing that actually made it less expensive (oops :o I almost said cheaper) than either the Sun or the Wind. It seems to me like this ship is somewhat superior to either of the others, so it's a bit of a treat.

Can anyone do a direct comparison between insides on the Sun and the Star? We sailed Deluxe Inside (II) last year on the Sun and liked it - are the Star cabins roughly the same?

They are going out of Seattle and we purchased them cruiseline air (web-site TA, not NCL directly). Do you know if this will automatically include the transfers? If not, I've been quoted $50 USD return per person by NCL. Whether or not we have to pay extra, that's the way we'll go.

To anyone who has done the transfers: Is it easy to find the bus and do they assist with the luggage at baggage claim or do you have to have it with you?

If it sounds like I'd worry less about sending my 9 year-old off alone on a cruise, you're right:D !

Is this after you retrieve your luggage? Is there an elevator or escator and clear signage to direct you to taxis? I was going to purchase transfers but its more expensive than a taxi and I would like to stop at a store first before going to the ship.

Yes got luggage first. I did not see a clear sign to taxi so asked. Took elevator right by luggage up one level. Went across bridge over road (it goes to parking too). At first elivator went down one level and the cabs were there. So you pickup taxi at aspecial place on bottom floor of short term parking garage. Probably 300 yards of walking, plus up & down.

It may work out better if a Limo is meeting you. For ad hoc limos they were with the Taxi's. That's what I took and it's $40 to town. If it's going to be warm I would be sure to confirm your limo/taxi has AC. On that trip about 1/2 the time it was not working :(

The transfer buses were picking up right out side luggage so it looked like an easy time. People with transfers seemed to collect their bags and park them in a cruise line ropped of area. You would see carts stacked 10 feet high with bags being pushed to the buses. Then they would walk about 100 feet outside to a bus.

I stayed at a Best Western about 2 blocks east from the Space Needle. It was fine, I would definitely use it again. They had a Van to take you down town for shopping, and took us to the ship. I think we got a good breakfast buffet too, It was the BW Executive Inn at 200 N Taylor Ave. http://www.seattle.com/best-western-executive-inn/

I was just reading your post and was going to recoomend the NCL STAR ! We sailed to Alaska Sept. 2005. I would recommend Seattle round trip. We did Sea Tac and Vancouver, and it was not hard, but not easy--lol (we are mid 40'S BTW) lol I am sure you made the right choice--and they will have a great time. If you have any questions- I can help you with, please ask. We are going back soon!:)

VacationFool,

Thanks so much for responding. As of my last post we had deposited for them on the Star through an on-line TA. We were thrilled about the boat. We've since had to change those arrangements though because said on-line TA does not sell insurance to Canadians, and due to in-laws age we feel it's pretty necessary.

Today we booked directly with NCL for the Sun RT/Seattle on September 16. We have sailed the Sun ourselves and know that she is adequate. NCL does have a good (and available!) insurance product, and the air and transfers are the same as we had with the other booking. For some reason though, NCL couldn't match the cruise fare, and that's why we ultimately went this way (that and because we already have the Sun video to put in the gift package:p )!

p.s. :D I had an absolutely fabulous experience with the NCL phone rep while doing this booking - NO I AM NOT BEING SARCASTIC! I've done my share of hair-tearing over NCL shoreside service, but this lady was wonderful! If anyone needs service through the phone centre, her direct line is #7904 and her name is Chshomba (no, I'm not making that up either:p ). Mention the nice, chatty lady from Calgary sent you!

Thanks again.

Annette

• 10 years later...