Too good of a deal?????

jsol1979

I was checking for a cruise in early December that looks really great for us (11 day - Empress of the Seas), and I chose the RCCL airfare, just to kinda see what would happen, and from Detroit to San Juan is only 698.00 for two people (plus misc. taxes and fees)!! I was shocked, as anything I've tried on my own has not been less than 950.00 from Detroit, or less than 775.00 from Chicago. We live smack inbetween either airport, but prefer Detroit for ease of traffic and whatnot. Has anyone found that the RCCL transfers are normally less? And if you had this chance, isn't it better to have them, then you know you'll always make the ship?? Thanks for any responses!!

I believe if your going out of country then its best to use the cruiseline, however if you stay in the U.S. it would be much better to get your own air. by the way I'm from saint joseph mi. which must be near you because I'm just a little closer to chicago then detroit.

I used cruise air to San Juan in March. I found that the transfers weren't worth it, but the airfare was. It never was lower from my area. What I suggest is keep the cruise air until final payment. If you find flights you like for less on your own, cancel the cruise air. If you don't find cheaper flights keep the cruise air, and do custom air and choose your own flights.

I believe if your going out of country then its best to use the cruiseline, however if you stay in the U.S. it would be much better to get your own air. by the way I'm from saint joseph mi. which must be near you because I'm just a little closer to chicago then detroit.
Puerto Rico isn't "out of the country"

When did the US annex Puerto Rico?

Flips

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico

On July 25, 1898 at the outbreak of the Spanish–American War, Puerto Rico, being a colony of Spain, was invaded by the United States of America with a landing at Guánica. Spain was forced to cede Puerto Rico, along with Cuba and the Philippines, to the United States under the Treaty of Paris (1898) [4]. The twentieth century began under the military regime of the United States with officials, including the governor, appointed by the President of the United States. In 1917, the Jones-Shafroth Act approved by the United States Congress granted Puerto Ricans U.S. citizenship so that they could be recruited as soldiers for WWI (Puerto Ricans remain U.S. passport-holding citizens).

I used cruise air to San Juan in March. I found that the transfers weren't worth it, but the airfare was. It never was lower from my area. What I suggest is keep the cruise air until final payment. If you find flights you like for less on your own, cancel the cruise air. If you don't find cheaper flights keep the cruise air, and do custom air and choose your own flights.

Thank you for all your responses, I didn't think I could cancel the cruise air, but, if possible, but that sounds like the best idea. As of right now, it looks like the cruise line is the way to go pricewise, and I assume they fly you in the day of the cruise starting, which would also save money by not having to get a hotel. By the way, what exactly are the transfers?? (I have heard about them, but I guess I don't specifically know what they are). Is that something that you pay more for, or is that all included already?

And in reply to mziemke, we are in Kalamazoo, and with Chicago tearing up the Dan Ryan this year and other roads, its almost too much hassle, when you can go to Detroit and the airport is directly off the highway, which is very, very nice, its about two hours either way for us.

I have found lately that cruiseline air if very competitive. I am using RC air on 2 of our next 3 cruises booked. Going in to Ft. Lauderdale cost me $28 pp more than what we could book it on our own.

Always a good idea to check what RC is charging for air.......sometimes you are pleasantly surprised. You can always drop the RC air if you find something cheaper......we will continue to look and see if air prices come down on our cruises we have booked...........but with the cost of gas going up, I'm not sure it will be cheaper in the near future.

Thank you for all your responses, I didn't think I could cancel the cruise air, but, if possible, but that sounds like the best idea. As of right now, it looks like the cruise line is the way to go pricewise, and I assume they fly you in the day of the cruise starting, which would also save money by not having to get a hotel. By the way, what exactly are the transfers?? (I have heard about them, but I guess I don't specifically know what they are). Is that something that you pay more for, or is that all included already?

Transfers are transportation to and from the pier. They are included if you book Cruise Air. Now, even if you stay with cruise air, I recommend paying the money for a taxi anyways in San Juan.

They do usually fly you in day of. If they can't, then they try and put you on a red eye. If all else fails, they fly you in the day before and put you up in a hotel at their expense. What we did was custom air ($50 flat fee which was waived for us since I'm platinum C&A) and chose our own flights and you can do this at anytime as well. I would highly recommend doing this if you stay with cruise air, because if they choose the flights they may put you on the most inconvenient flights known to man (or you might actually get the flights you want but you won't know until you get your docs).

One thing: if you do ever find cheaper air, make sure to cancel the cruise air BEFORE making final payment.

I'm assuming you've priced RCCL airfare from GRR, KZO and Lansing, too? Or did you only look at Detroit and Chicago?

I ask because depending on which airline they are using they might get you the same fare from a closer airport. You never know...

Were flying to San Juan for a cruise late November on the Adventure of the Seas and JSOL I agree with you Detroit is a much easier trip for us also from Kalamazoo. For us the trip in is easier and also getting back to our car is much easier when we fly back in. As for airfare this trip isn't to bad we got one free ticket on American and the other comes to about $300.00 after we used another voucher. Another reason we choose AA is because we can pay about $20.00 extra per person and check in our bags at the pier for the return flight home. Were going in three days early but the good thing about the cruises from San Juan they usally leave around 10PM so even if there are flight problems you should still make your cruise.

When you use cruise air, do they always try to fly you in the same day as the cruise? Also, do they make efforts to put you on a direct flight, or is it more likely that you will have layovers?

When you use cruise air, do they always try to fly you in the same day as the cruise? Also, do they make efforts to put you on a direct flight, or is it more likely that you will have layovers?

The cruiselines generally put you on the CHEAPEST, not the most convenient. If the nonstop is the cheapest, that's what you will get. However, if the 4 stopper, leaving at 1:00AM, flying all over the country is the cheapest, that's what you get. And the really bad thing-you don't know what you purchased until 3-4 weeks pre cruise, unless you pay the deviation fee, or have it waived due to cruise status. Book your own air, especially if your cruise leaves on Sunday. You can usually find a lower air price on Saturday, saving enough money to pay for the hotel. Sundays and Fridays are the most expensive air days.

I have been checking airfare to PR and found 99.00 dollars each way out of Orlando on Jet Blue. Only 109.00 each way out od New York on Jet blue. I would use Airtran or Southwest to get to Orlando or New York because we dont have Jet Blue service to our town.

I have been checking airfare to PR and found 99.00 dollars each way out of Orlando on Jet Blue. Only 109.00 each way out od New York on Jet blue. I would use Airtran or Southwest to get to Orlando or New York because we dont have Jet Blue service to our town.

FYI

Don't even think about trying to do a JetBlue/Southwest combination out of NYC. JetBlue flies out of JFK, Southwest flies out of Islip (McArthur). distance is about 50 miles and no easy way to get from one place to the other.

Jet Blue is raising prices, so if you think the current price is good to San Juan, book it. You can fly most any airline from LAS to NYC (JFK or LGA). There are often specials on all airlines to LAS which are bookable either way-domestic fares are non directional. Just because the special says NYC to Las Vegas does not mean it cannot be booked from Las Vegas to NYC. Enjoy!!!

Archived